Poll says it all!
- 51Posts
- 51Replies
Read-only discussion
Is this a male dominated hobby?
-
-
Depends which side of the Atlantic you are "Gadget-wise" We prefer just to take pictures.
For the sake of political correctness the term 'Photographer' is Asexual, and removes the stigma from previously questionable genders.

So theoretically you may require more buttons?
-
But maybe the difference is that we (guys) like to talk about cameras and technique all the time, but the ladies don't see so much need to talk all the time so they're not active in the discussion.
Oh, hang on ... maybe I just said something silly ...

-
nah... we're just shy.

-
As for me and for my buddy (wife)
My part is to check the market, to learn techniques, to search accessories, to write here....
and from time to time to take u/w photos.
My wife part is much simple, to take the camera and shoots much better pictures then me.

-
I have noticed ( and I'm not at all complaining) that scuba diving has a larger proportion of males to females. I don't believe that photographers in general are more male dominated but being that diving is more male dominated I'm sure the same goes for UW photographers.
I was on a trip this summer to NC where I was the only female on a boat of 18 males. We had 2 spots open and on the second day a couple decided to join our trip. The girl was from France and she sat down beside me and asked. "Are the proportions of males to females always like this?" and I responded "No they're usually better, yesterday you weren't here."
I'm on that trip again next year!


-
In response to DivinDiva
In the places where I use to dive there are more male usually but not in the relation you mention, usually its 2:1 or 3:2 no more.
In my last liveaboard it was only me to represent the males gender and 3 females on board, no that I complained.

-
In reply to DivingDiva and this topic,
I usualy see when I go diving from Beaufort NC, USA about 1-4 women on a boat with 16 divers.
The strange part is that every class I helped with this year and last (probably about 8 clases each with 5-7 students) the percentage was more women than men. As you guys were saying no complains here. A couple of good looking female students can make te class more enjoyable :-).
So ... why the proportion of students is about 60% women and 40% men and when the real diving begins the proportion is ... what 80% - 90% man and 10% - 20% women?
What do you guys think.
Vlad
-
In '96 I got to be Diveguide on a boat with 14 Italian women - I have never gotten over it, neither has the Maldives

In answer to Vlad: This shows the machismo thing in action... Men think they know it all when it comes to something like photography, where has women tend to accept their limitations gracefully, hence they attend courses from which to learn. They are also less hung up about asking questions and advice.
This is apart from the odd few women - One especially, eh Craig

-
Vlad,
Maybe they heard the male dominated stats and figured it was a great place to meet guys. And, heck with the price of diving and travel figured they must have money and could go places.
I have heard that comment from some girls in our mountain bike club (ie why they jioned the club)
-
This is what I'm talking about.
The thought of Bob in a speedo is gruesome enough to deter ANY brave women from entering this fine hobby.
;-)
But seriously folks - IMO there is a lot of "machismo" in scubadiving...
Cheers
James
-
Ah James-"Dirk Diggler" Wiseman
I could look for that photo of you and the housing on the boat. I was trying to block that one out of my mind too.
I'm kidding!
Not that sharp tongued Bob can't defend himself.
-
Ha ha, there was a program on TV about Dirk last night or the night before - It kept my wife off my back whilst I got on with something important - Camera preparation ready for Indonesia.
Machismo is one reason Italian women go diving on their own, they are also quite talented photographers when they decide to get in the water.
Unlike yellowfin Tuna, women have a choice when getting in or out of the water, and pursuing their own destinies

-
And the choice to dive blindfolded so that they don't have to see you in a speedo with a wedgie.
Cheers
James
-
Speedo...
I am living in the US for about 5 years now and all my life before that I did wear a speedo (about 25 years since the first 2-3 years I didn't wear anything).
Of course now I don't wear that anymore since I heard way too much about it and I even can't consider wearing one anymore because I have been made self-conscious about it.
BUT,
What's the big deal with speedos. What, you can't take seing another male not completly covered.
...And for the women, trust me, here in US there is the biggest density of women that should wear a box when going to the beach not a bathing suit.
I usualy hear from women "uhhh that's so groase" what's the big deal?
I can't understand the speedo phenomenon.
If you can't take it ... don't look.
I should probably stop being opinionated and stick to photography
Vlad
-
IMO thats what Scuba diving is all about, having worked in the industry and loved every minute of it I can only remember one time it didn't go down well. (Rodales circa Jan or Feb 1996, article= Cayman Cowboy) I live my life by that article almost to the T. Anyway my point is Men love getting on a dive boat and having a manly man divemaster who doesn't mind getting dirty and gets to work in an environment where girls in bikinis is not a piece of paper on the wall but a daily real life thing. Women also like that that is how their divemasters are, it's generally stereotypically what a divemaster is meant to be, manly, cocky and dirty. IMO. Even female divemasters are similar I wouldn't use the word tom boyish and don't get me wrong I know some stunning girly divemasterettes, but they generally are willing to try anything, you know work wise .... getting down and dirty with it .. you know work wise ... I mean ... they work hard and play hard just like the guys.But seriously folks - IMO there is a lot of "machismo" in scubadiving..
Just like you said .. whats wong some people just shouldn't wear that sort of thing, and a speedo is only barely acceptable if you work out every day and have the body of a god. I'm a birdwell kinda guy anyway, they are shorts but i like em small and tight, my butt huggers.Speedo...What's the big deal with speedos. What, you can't take seing another male not completly covered.
...And for the women, trust me, here in US there is the biggest density of women that should wear a box when going to the beach not a bathing suit.
I usualy hear from women "uhhh that's so groase" what's the big deal?
I can't understand the speedo phenomenon.
If you can't take it ... don't look.
-
This sexism makes me puke.
-
Today at the Boston Sea Rovers I spent some time at the Aggressor fleet booth. I'm 35, male, single and I go on 1-2 dive trips per year. I would prefer to have my own cabin if I'm traveling alone, but the cost is prohibitive. The woman from Aggressor said, no problem. There are ALWAYS single men on trips. How about single women? Not as often.
My obervation is that there are plenty of women divers, but they usually are part of a couple. This used to drive me crazy. In my early 20's I would almost never see a single woman my age who liked to dive. The only exception were instructors or divemasters.
One day I'll meet the woman of my dreams who will be as interested in underwater photography as I am. Nothing would please me more than to share a hobby that we both enjoy.
-
It's definately very nice if your wife or husband is also into photography. You can share cabins, travel together, share tips and tricks, explain 15 times how you just missed that great shot without (noticably) boring someone, and keep eachother sane

But you definately dont see any single women on dive trips. You do see a lot of couples though, although more often than not only 1 of the 2 is really serious, the other sortof tags along, usually the woman.
For us it was actually the other way around. My wife got into photography, she dragged me along, until I got into it too
But thats cause I already had waaaaaayy too many hobbies, and not enough time for em all. Photography pushed astronomy out of the way, well..mostly 
Cor
-
turtlehero is a single woman who dives, does uw photography and posts here. There's more than one in my immediate group.