Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Advice 100mtr housings

Started by stuey60 ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

Advice 100mtr housings

15 posts
  1. Hi, I have made the decision to upgrade anb replace my current system, due to the depth rating on my S&S.

    I have bought a Canon50D to replace my 350D and I have been looking around and can only find a couple of housings which are suitable. Hugyfot and Aquatica both seem to suit my needs, although I have been reading the forums and see that people are taking other housings to these depths without problems. However it looks like they have been upgraded with stronger springs.

    Subal are one of the housing's that fall into this category and I would like to hear from photographers who are using a Subal housing to 100mtr depths.

     

    Rgds

     

    Stu

  2. The standard Seacam rating is 80 meters w/ an upgrade for 100

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Aquatica offers housings that can go to 100m with minimal upgrade. regular rating = 90m

     

    Michel

  4. I would like to hear from photographers who are using a Subal housing to 100mtr depths.

     

    Stu,

    You should also consider what depth the ports are rated to as well and the material of them you choose.

    Try touching or accidentally bumping a dome at 100m and you'll see what I mean.

    I recommend purchasing or employing an all-risk rider on your insurance if you have the ability.

     

    While I personally enjoy Subal products, and others may have better suggestions, I think it is widely considered that an Aquatica set up is the most appropriate for the type of depths you are wishing to shoot at.

     

    Keep in mind, another option is dedicated video...

    Good luck.

  5. I think you need to chat with Leigh Bishop. This is a wheel he invented a long time ago...

  6. I think you need to chat with Leigh Bishop. This is a wheel he invented a long time ago...

     

    FYI Leigh's website http://www.deepimage.co.uk has a contact page.

     

    Nige Wade

  7. Aquatica offers housings that can go to 100m with minimal upgrade. regular rating = 90m

     

    Michel

     

     

    Bonjour Michel, the extended depth rating is actually 130 meters AKA 425ft, this when requested at time of ordering is modified at no extra charge.

  8. Bonjour Michel, the extended depth rating is actually 130 meters AKA 425ft, this when requested at time of ordering is modified at no extra charge.

     

    Jean,

     

    Is the extended depth rating enabled with the deep spring kit or is there more to it?

     

    I do a fair bit of deep stuff and have hand my 50D down to 80-90m so far, but I'm wondering if it is good for anything deeper since I have the deep springs or is there something else that needs doing. I'm not sure I will go any deeper but nice to know where I stand.

     

    Regards,

    Damien Siviero

  9. What strobes have a 100m depth rating? My S&S strobes are rated for 60m.

  10. The deeper rated spring kit is all that you need, the increasing ambient pressure normally will push the button down gradually until they actually engage the cameras functions, swapping the springs will extend that margin to the 425ft / 130 meter mark. incidentally, the fact that the push buttons bottom out will just prevent the camera from triggering and will cause no harm.

     

    Sealifeprints, the I know that the Ikelite Strobes are rated to 300ft, I'm sure there are more, Inon is rated to 300 Ft. as well if I remember (please correct me if i'm wrong).

  11. Dr Bruneau, a.k.a. Aquatica meister added precisions to my comment which said that Aquatica "can" go to 100m. Not knowing all the facts, I meant that at least it would do 100m. 130 is eve better and definitely in the "happy few" enclosures that will perform at this "Titanic-level" depth.

     

    Thanks for correcting me pal and see you in Orlando,

     

    M

  12. Just out of curiosity, what do you want to photograph so deep?

  13. Just out of curiosity, what do you want to photograph so deep?

     

    Hi Guys

     

    Thanks for all your input, I have placed an order for an Aquatica housing and Inon z-240 type 4 strobes, UWphotonewbie I will be using wide angle to photograph wrecks in the 60-80 mtr range, although recently on a 100mtr wall dive in Indonesia I could have photographed a Mola Mola, but unfortunately no camera with me.

     

    Stuey

  14. Too bad, I think mola mola's are one of the strangest/most interesting fish in the ocean. Congrats on spotting one... :)

  15. You could also try the Hugyfot. I have been using it with the Inon z240 in the same range. Very happy with it and the HugyCheck system, has for me been a long over due entry into housing engineering.

     

    I have posted more info about my thoughts on the Hugy on this link

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...mp;#entry225325

     

    All the best Erol

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.