Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Hugyfot vs Aquatica for 5D mark II

Started by ErolE ·

  • 47Posts
  • 47Replies

Read-only discussion

Hugyfot vs Aquatica for 5D mark II

47 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I am have been waiting a long time for the 5D II to come out so as I can make the jump from film to digital. Got the camera, figured out the lens I ll be using, 17-40mm, Sigma 15mm for wide angle and sigma 70mm and 150mm for macro. Now just need to decide on the housing.

     

    Let me say first off that I am looking for a hard wearing housing with at least 100m depth rating. I have a pretty versatile interest, anything from wrecks to caves to muck diving to big stuff. I want to be able to shoot it all proficiently.

     

    Also I have an Aquatica currently so I can use these port either on another Aquatica or a Hugyfot.

     

    From what I understand functionality is very similar with these two housing, being in Europe price is pretty similiar too.

     

    In favour of the Aquatica I would have to say that it s accessories are very attractive, such as the underwater remote release and monitor. Also they seem to have a more comprehensive list of focus gears for various lens

     

    In favour of the Hugyfot I would have to say that the Hugycheck system is a very good idea, where by you can seal check your housing prior to submerging. Plus obviously I am a little closer to the service centre. Another plus for me is the counter sunk locking system with the allen bolts. Sealed is most definitely sealed :(

     

    I am currently leaning towards the hugyfot, although I don t think there is much in it.

     

    Anyone got 2 cents to add?

     

    Erol

  2. I've used a Hugyfot housing for a Nikon D200 since 2006 and am very pleased with it. I've send the housing to the factory in Belgium twice (from Sweden which would be similar to from Finland), once for regular maintnance and once for replacing a broken batteryholder to the (optional) built in TTL-converter. Service was prompt. When I needed some zoom gear in a hurry, they expressed in a couple of days to my front door.

    In favour of Aquatica (besides very good value for money), I would say they have had a very nice approach to upgrade kits for existing housings when a new camera model with similar physics come along, e.g. D200 to D300.

     

    maybe not 0.2, but 0.1 cents

     

    cheers

    Edited by Christian K
  3. You didnt mention availablility. Aquatica is currently a month out afaik. I tried to order a housing about 3 weeks ago and they had a backlog. I ordered today and they still have a backlog, but I was promised mine in May.

     

    I had mixed results with the pre sales support as well. Things were going good the first phone call and a few emails, then I emailed them twice with one reply being that they were at a show and would get back to me next week, and after 2 weeks passed I still hadnt heard from them so I emailed them again and that was about a week ago and still no reply.

    Maybe my emails got lost, or maybe they just dont give a fuck since they have a backlog of orders. Regardless, I ordered my housing from them. Hopefully I wont need any support.

    Edited by gbrandon
  4. How about comparing Anthis Nexus housings to Aquatica?

     

    They are most likely to be usable for future camera models with some modifications, eg D70/80 to D90 conversions, D200/300 to D700 conversions. Any + points are that they use optical fiber firing as well

     

    Minus points are that the ports available is not as modular or wide choice as Aquatica.

  5. Hi Geoff, might want to try sending the e-mail again, i'm not the type to ignore tech question, I ran through my box and can only find one dated april 8. (it might have been spamed trashed by accident)

     

    We have a backlog indeed of both the 5D Mk II and D90 but are slowly getting on top of things (never fast enough), the order from March are just shipping out now, everyone is pushing hours to get them out. Nothing worse than having cranky u/w photographers on your back :P, if its any consolation, those who have received theirs love them. I talked to Mike today and are well aware of your time table, I also promised him to review all items, (once i'm back from the Tacoma dive show, yeah I know, another...) so that when you have the package in it will be a just add water simple package.

     

    We do give a F%?k, an order is an order, no matter if you sell it now or later, or loose it now or later. :(

  6. Jean (Viz'art)

     

    One question.

    If I get a D300 housing from Aquatica, I have to pay an extra US$215 for it to have the Nikonos 5 pin bulkheads right? I runnung a pair of Inon Z240s.

     

    Are they TTL-able? If not, how to make them so? I'm a noob as I have been using optical fiber with Nexus housings

  7. Minus points are that the ports available is not as modular or wide choice as Aquatica.

    Nexus ports aren't as modular as Aquatica?

  8. Nexus ports aren't as modular as Aquatica?

     

    Craig, I may be wrong but Nexus doesn't have a M6 fisheye dome (8" or more) that a Tokina 10-17 can be used?

     

    Their macro ports are ok with extension. However, I was hoping to be able to house a Nikon 200mm micro lens unerwater. Seems like Nexus can't do it. Aquatica has it on the website.

     

    Help me on that if anyone has info. Using a Nexus D300 housing now

  9. Craig, I may be wrong but Nexus doesn't have a M6 fisheye dome (8" or more) that a Tokina 10-17 can be used?

     

    Their macro ports are ok with extension. However, I was hoping to be able to house a Nikon 200mm micro lens unerwater. Seems like Nexus can't do it. Aquatica has it on the website.

     

    Help me on that if anyone has info. Using a Nexus D300 housing now

    Nexus has a 10-17 dome but it is not 8" or larger. Nexus doesn't have a lot of large domes but that's not a modular issue.

     

    Nexus's modular macro port supports the Nikon 200mm. I have housed it before and it works well. It is M5, however, so you need their adapter. Hard to be the modularity of the Nexus macro port.

  10. Nexus has a 10-17 dome but it is not 8" or larger. Nexus doesn't have a lot of large domes but that's not a modular issue.

     

    Nexus's modular macro port supports the Nikon 200mm. I have housed it before and it works well. It is M5, however, so you need their adapter. Hard to be the modularity of the Nexus macro port.

     

    ok Thanks Craig. U have any idea what is the configuration for the 200mm? Which extension and port?

     

    I'll see what my local shop can conjure up with.

  11. ok Thanks Craig. U have any idea what is the configuration for the 200mm? Which extension and port?

     

    I'll see what my local shop can conjure up with.

    You use the multiport base, the 105mm front port, and a 60mm extension (exactly the same as for the 70-180). You need the front lens support made specifically for the 200mm as well as the manual focus ring. Works great although it's really long for a DX camera. Take off the extension and the Sigma 150 fits perfect (but use a strip of velcro for a focus ring). Nexus makes a port specifically for the 105VR because of its fatness, but the VR lens does fit through the extensions and the multiport base. You could make the VR lens work with the larger 60mm front port, the base, and a short extension like a 20mm.

  12. thanks Craig. It's very long as you said.

  13. The Hugy and the Aquatica housings are both very nice housings and very ergonomic. If availability is the issue, then check out the Hugy. We have been receiving our orders within two weeks, and have a shipment with several on its way to us right now, due in within the next few days.

     

    I really like the Hugycheck system. After using the Gates Seal Check on my video rigs for the past year and a half, Ive become very accustomed to being able to check out my system's integrity BEFORE i get in the water. We all make mistakes...so this just helps with our peace of mind and allows us one more system of checking the housing for watertightness. The fact they are giving it away FREE right now, also makes it a great time to buy one of their systems and save $400.

  14. I have just installed my precious D700 and 16mm lens in a Hugyfot housing. I never risked taking my D2x underwater. I own housings for many different cameras including Sea & Sea, Seacam, Aquatica, Nexus and Subal so why did I choose Hugyfot? The Hugyfot is tricky to slip the camera into and you have to close it using a hexagonal wrench. Very inconvenient. However, for an expensive camera the Hugyfot has one advantage - Hugycheck! You test the sealing for leaks using non-destructive air rather than water! http://www.divernet.com/Diving_Gear/diver_..._hugycheck.html

    Edited by John Bantin
  15. Jean (Viz'art)

     

    One question.

    If I get a D300 housing from Aquatica, I have to pay an extra US$215 for it to have the Nikonos 5 pin bulkheads right? I runnung a pair of Inon Z240s.

     

    Are they TTL-able? If not, how to make them so? I'm a noob as I have been using optical fiber with Nexus housings

     

    If you order your housing with the TTL bulkhead it will be swaped at the manufacture for no extra charge, the Inon are TTL compliant if they are ran through a TTL converter.

     

    For using the Nikon 200mm & 70-180mm macro you need the standard port and extension 18454, for the 105 VR, again just the standard port and extension 18453 (with the the D300 & D700), we have focus gear/zoom gear for them as well, but this is getting of topic :(

     

    It make sense to check the complete package, including all potential ports, gears, and accessories for the camera and lenses you plan to use, has many find out painfully, the housing is often the tip of the iceberg, my 2 cents worth is pick the lenses and camera you want/plan to use and consider, features, weight, size & price of the complete ready to dive package.

     

    Cheers

  16. We have a backlog indeed of both the 5D Mk II and D90 but are slowly getting on top of things (never fast enough), the order from March are just shipping out now, everyone is pushing hours to get them out.

     

    Got my Aquatica 5D MkII housing yesterday, order went in approx 4 or 5 weeks ago but I understand production proper only started 2 weeks ago (and allow 5 days for delivery).

     

    I'm going to the 5DII from a 40D and am delighted with the build quality and improvements on the 40D housing, for example, the way the Ikelite bulkhead inside the housing uses a ribbon cable, and the angled push button's. I feel Aquatica listen to feedback and respond, the trials on the first 5DII prototypes and subsequent changes are a good testimony to that and the email support I've got from Jean has been superb.

     

    I've only handled one Hugy before and didn't like the grip/handle on it (I'd say I have mid sized to large hands) but I do know a couple of very happy Hugy owners.

     

    My 2 cents, whichever way you go good luck!

     

    Aengus

    Edited by AengusM
  17. Thanks everyone for your input. I am transfers the funds for my Hugyfot housing today. Free Hugycheck system swings it for me. The ability to use ports of most other systems and distance to service are also up there.

     

    Just on a side not many people commented on price. The Hugyfot retails for 2300 Euro and the Aquatica is 2899USD so there is not a great difference really.

     

    Delivery time is approx 3 weeks. I ll let you know how I get on.

     

    Erol

  18. Thanks everyone for your input. I am transfers the funds for my Hugyfot housing today. Free Hugycheck system swings it for me. The ability to use ports of most other systems and distance to service are also up there.

     

    Just on a side not many people commented on price. The Hugyfot retails for 2300 Euro and the Aquatica is 2899USD so there is not a great difference really.

     

    Delivery time is approx 3 weeks. I ll let you know how I get on.

     

    Erol

     

    Please report back. I would also be interested in what strobes you use, if you ordered a TTL-converter with the housing and how it works togetether.

     

    cheers

  19. How about comparing Anthis Nexus housings to Aquatica?

     

    They are most likely to be usable for future camera models with some modifications, eg D70/80 to D90 conversions, D200/300 to D700 conversions. Any + points are that they use optical fiber firing as well

     

    Minus points are that the ports available is not as modular or wide choice as Aquatica.

     

     

    I don't think that there is any 5d MKII user interested in having optical wiring... Anyway, hugyfot supports that as well for. Canon camera's that have an internal strobe. Nikon internal strobes have to be flipped up completely in order to fire.

  20. The 5D and 5DII do not have a pop-up flash.

     

    Cheers

    James

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.