Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Hugyfot vs Aquatica for 5D mark II

Started by ErolE ·

  • 47Posts
  • 47Replies

Read-only discussion

Hugyfot vs Aquatica for 5D mark II

47 posts
  1. I have been following this thread and have to say I am more inclined to lean toward the Aquatica as I just don't like the idea of having to bolt the Hugyfot housing together and the wear and tear on the threads every time you open and close it.

     

    One thing I'd like to know......I have a "Seal Check" pump for a video system and want to know if anyone has put a fitting into the Aquatica housing and use it??

     

    Regards,

     

    Lance

     

    Personally, I find the bolt system superior because of the security of it. I haven't noticed any wear and tear on the threads after years of usage, it is very robust.

  2. I've just got back from a week in the red sea with my Hugyfot + D90 set up. I didn't have any problem using the bolts - takes about 2 minutes to unscrew them both and the hole for the allen key is deep so there was no wear and tear. While I've never used any other SLR housing, it gave me great piece of mind knowing I wasn't going to unlatch the housing accidentally.

  3. I've just got back from a week in the red sea with my Hugyfot + D90 set up. I didn't have any problem using the bolts - takes about 2 minutes to unscrew them both and the hole for the allen key is deep so there was no wear and tear. While I've never used any other SLR housing, it gave me great piece of mind knowing I wasn't going to unlatch the housing accidentally.

     

    Gongrats to your new housing. After a few more trips it will take less than a minute for both bolts ...

     

    cheers

  4. Hi Lance, the Gate Seal Check valve is on my desk, everybody was wrapped up in getting the 7D out (see other thread), I haven't had a chance to drill and tap the plug and install the valve to confirm, I'm 98% confident, but when it goes underwater... well anything less than 100% is not acceptable, I should be more free with my time (that would be an understatment ;) ) next week and get on with this.

     

    BTW the gates self install packges leaves nothing to chance, they include the instruction, the drill, tap, sealant glue, cleaning swab, and even a Q-tip and a small popsicle stick for spreading the sealant, I'm impressed for such a low price, that is quite the package.

     

    Hi Jean,

     

    I never heard back as to how you got on with the Gates Seal Check adapted to the 5D mkII

     

    Did you have any success with it??

     

    Regards,

     

    Lance

  5. Hi Eefella,

     

    I'm bringing back this old post, but I've seen you mentioned diving up to 100m below sea surface, which is the maximum depth of the Hugyfot housing I believe.

    However, I understand that using the hugycheck reduces the maximum depth allowed (because for a constant depth, the difference of pressure is greater).

    Did you use the hugycheck before going to -100m? Any crack on your housing?

    :)

  6. Hi Eefella,

     

    However, I understand that using the hugycheck reduces the maximum depth allowed (because for a constant depth, the difference of pressure is greater).

     

     

    for a constant depth, the difference of pressure is greater??? a little confused on that one but i do have a simple brain.

     

    Anyone from hugyfot explain that one?

  7. Hi,

     

    That is correct the pressure differential will be theoretically greater as the pressure inside the housing is less than 1atm. The Hugycheck will reduce internal pressure to 750 hPa which is 0.75ATM. So the differential will range from .75 ATM to 10ATM rather than 1ATM to 10ATM.

     

    The difference of .25 ATM is a 2.5% variation of the maximum.

     

    I wouldn t worry about that variation impacting the max depth. Even without the Hugycheck you will always have variations, due to atmospheric pressure, sealing housing at 30 degree C and operating it at 10 degrees etc.

     

    Although I haven t done the calculation I d be very surprised if housing itself would yield at anywhere near that pressure. You are likely to have issues with ports, buttons etc way before the alloy gives in.

     

     

    So in short yes I have operated the housing to those depths and no I didn t have any issues nor would I expect to have.

     

    best Erol

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.