Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

More Flash Power in TTL Mode ?

Started by Marc Furth ·

  • 22Posts
  • 22Replies

Read-only discussion

More Flash Power in TTL Mode ?

22 posts
  1. Craig,

     

    I understand that many people like the idea of a US distributor. I, on the other hand consider it just another layer of "profit taking" between the manufacturer and end user.

     

    A great way to see many of the neat toys that are available in Europe is to go to the "Boat Show" in Dusseldorf, Germany. The Boat Show takes place during the last full week in January each year - nine days - two weekends and the five weekdays inbetween. There are actually about a dozen large display halls, but only one of them is devoted to diving.

     

    Many of the German manufacturers and displayers speak fluent English. I've always had a great time there, when I have been able to go, despite not speaking German. And the show is open to the public, unlike our DEMA, so you just buy your ticket at the door and go in. It will really open your eyes.

     

    Yes, I've do change my reflector/flash tubes with some frequency. If I feel I'm most likely to be shooting a lot of "blue water" pics I generally use the 4500 K tubes, while at a place like KBR in N. Sulawesi, which is almost totally macro, I prefer the 5000 K tubes. Depends a little on what film I'm shooting. Changeover only takes a minute or two per strobe and is quite simple. I also own the other two temps - 4,000 & 5,000, but use them only rarely, for special purpose. Though 5,500 or even higher might be of use with digital where you can change the color temp of the final image so easily in Photoshop.

     

    DG

  2. I use a pair of Subtronic and like them very much. They charge in less than 2 hours and a full charge always lasts a day of shooting. And anyone who has ever travelled me knows that I am in the water more than most. On film I have done 7 rolls on TTL no problems, and on digital shot over 400 pix in a day (but with the flash on 1/2 or 1/4 power).

     

    The external chargers just plug straight into the flashes - meaning very little extra baggage. I couldn't afford the variable colour temp ones, but everybody I know who has the feature - loves it.

     

    Alex

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.