I would like to use my 24-105mm with my 50d in my Sea & Sea housing. Has anyone else done this? The lens will physically fit (standard port + extension port). Thanks to info recieved on wetpixel, I am confident that I can fabricate a zoom ring. The question is can the 24-105 focus underwater. the 18-55 I use currently has a minimum focus distance of 9.8". this is just over half the minimum focus distance of the 24-105 (1.48') but still "outside" the housing. I understand about the "virtual image" created on the inside of dome ports...does this apply to flat ports as well? Thanks in advance for responses.
Greg
Hello,
I would like to use my 24-105mm with my 50d in my Sea & Sea housing. Has anyone else done this? The lens will physically fit (standard port + extension port). Thanks to info recieved on wetpixel, I am confident that I can fabricate a zoom ring. The question is can the 24-105 focus underwater. the 18-55 I use currently has a minimum focus distance of 9.8". this is just over half the minimum focus distance of the 24-105 (1.48') but still "outside" the housing. I understand about the "virtual image" created on the inside of dome ports...does this apply to flat ports as well? Thanks in advance for responses.
Greg
In general, with flat ports you don't have to worry about virtual images, just the difference in water/air refraction. Put some water in your tub and try it, it is a 5 minute experiment I think.
Bill
I just got back from the Sea of Cortez where I tried out the 24-105mm lens. It was awesome. The large focal length range makes this the most versatile lens I have used. Images were tack sharp. Much better glass than the 18-55mm lens it has replaced. The zoom gear I fabricated (after a couple of prototypes) was as smooth or smoother than the Sea & Sea gears. thanks to the DIYers on Wetpixel that provided info and insparation.