Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

A Conversation With...

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 41Posts
  • 41Replies

Read-only discussion

A Conversation With...

41 posts
  1. I wanted to find a different angle for a new series of underwater photography articles that will appear here on Wetpixel and also in Underwater Photography Magazine - and decided to do an series of conversations with underwater photographers.

     

    IMO tips and little nuggets of info come up in chats that just don't in a more formal article - so hopefully they will make interesting reading and useful too. Let me know what you think.

     

    These aren't strict interviews - I won't be asking anyone where their favourite dive site is or similar. They are talks about technique, rather than people. The topic usually determined by what specifically interests (or stands out for) me in the photography of whoever I am chatting to. Some months I'll chat with individuals, other months with groups of photographers.

     

    The first installment is up - an interview with Wetpixel members Todd Mintz and Rand McMeins - talking about shooting for competitions and some of the reasons behind their enviable track records of success.

    You can see it here:

    http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/a-conversat...es-of-articles/

     

    Any feedback greatly appreciated.

     

    Alex

  2. Really useful article! It helps so much to get others people's insights and angel on things, the methodology etc.etc. especially for a novice like myself. They really help to give you more of a focus and fresh ideas! Thanks very much, look forward to the next one.

  3. Thank you Alex - I read that and then read it again - full of nuggets to help me along

  4. A simply delicious article and it couldn't have come at a better time with comp season cranking up! I admire Todd and Rand's work and find it incredibly inspirational. After seeing Rand's jellyfish shot, I spent half of my summer chasing jellyfish around looking for hitchhikers...and I have the stings to prove it! Thanks for the peek into the "methods of their madness"!

     

    Karen

  5. Great article Alex. Thank you for taking the time and sharing this information with us, it's greatly appreciated!

    Mike

  6. Thanks Alex, great article and idea. I look forward to 'meeting' some or all of these folks you hang with on your trips.

  7. I like this idea for an article, interesting reading.

     

    To kick off with Rand and Todd caught my eye, especially as I was recently up at Browning pass Hide-away at the same time that the 3 of you were there. It's nice to be able to put a face to the names.

     

    From the interview I can identify a lot with the rewards of entering competitions and the benefits of teaming up with other talented photographers. It has certainly helped me raise my game. It can also be nice not to be remotely attracted to other successful photographers - and just be free and uninfluenced to pursue your own style.

     

    I'd look forward to more interviews.

  8. Alex,

     

    What a fantastic concept, what a fantastic insight, what a fantastic read, well done you !!

     

    I think what would top this off would be an interview with you giving your insight on your photography and thought process.

    Could you get someone to interview you so we "Wetpixies" can see inside the Mustard Mind as well?

     

    Can't wait for the next installment.

     

    Nige Wade

  9. Thank you all, very much, for the positive feedback. I really appreciate it, as pulling each interview together is a reasonable amount of (unpaid) work. But the chatting, itself, is a total pleasure. Actually I've typed up all the transcripts on flights, so far, so I don't count them as proper work.

     

    I certainly intend to cast the net widely for these interviews, there will be some heavy weight names and also some photographers, whose work I really respect, but wouldn't consider themselves "names". And there are plenty of Wetpixel members who won't be safe next time I see them/dive with them! I'd like to make as many interviews as possible in the field (where we have been diving), but I might do a few at various shows etc.

     

    Yesterday I did the chat for number 3 (December 1st, hopefully) with 4 of the Spanish teams (wetpixel IDs): David Barrio (davichin), Carlos Suarez (Carlos_Suarez), Carlos Villoch (blueglass) and Arturo Boyra at the Fotosub Gran Canaria. Fotosub is a specific discipline in underwater photography and we spoke about that, about wide angle lighting, about working with models and also how the competition is increasingly driving them to try new techniques.

     

    You'll hear plenty of my opinions through the series as in most of the interviews (like the Rand and Todd one) I intend to be a voice in the conversation. I am planning to write the Martin Edge interview up in a more traditional style (without my voice in quotes) but instead passing on my opinions as the voice of the article. I also have some great "archive" images for Martin's interview. As far as possible I hope to find more unusual images for the illustrations - particular copies of images in use, in print, etc.

     

    Alex

  10. I wanted to find a different angle for a new series of underwater photography articles that will appear here on Wetpixel and also in Underwater Photography Magazine - and decided to do an series of conversations with underwater photographers.

     

    Any feedback greatly appreciated.

     

    Alex

     

    What about us filmmakers and videographers ... :(

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  11. What about us filmmakers and videographers ... :(

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

     

     

    Dean, you already talk enough :(

     

    Alex, great start, although i don't know about that Todd character, its too bad you can't capture his distinct accent on the net :)

     

    Looking forward to the next one

  12. Dean, you already talk enough :(

     

    Granted ... And much about nothing as well ... :)

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  13. Dean, the first interview done was for video:

    http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/interview-u...-didier-noirot/

    You even commented on it.

     

    Mike is right though... the lack of accents takes the fun away.

     

     

    Ahhh ... That was a while ago by the looks of things ??? My memory isn't that sharp anymore... Cool tho ...

     

    Looking forward to more insights... Have we any shooters with broad Scots or Geordie accents ... That would be fun listening for our overseas brothers and sisters ... :(

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  14. What about us filmmakers and videographers ... :)

     

    I have to say that I am unlikely to do any chats with moving picture peeps - because the aim of the series is to talk technique and I don't know enough about video for that. The aim is that these aren't biographical style interviews - but a different way of presenting a technique article.

     

    Alex, great start, although i don't know about that Todd character, its too bad you can't capture his distinct accent on the net :(

     

    Yes, everyone will speak in (my friend) the Queen's english - so it is all UK-english spelling too. Sorry for the lost comedy value, but I intend to leave a little of the jokey banter in (not all because they are supposed to be focused on the technique side of things).

     

    But I do have all the MP3 audio files and maybe on day I will put together an edited highlights selection. Have some good accents so far - Rand from the US, Todd from Canada, Martin from the North of England and thick Spain-spanish accents from the Canaries guys.

     

    Alex

  15. the aim of the series is to talk technique and I don't know enough about video for that.

     

    Alex

     

    Phew !!! that makes two of us ... :)

     

    Oh well maybe one of our esteemed videologists will do a similar thing ... My first question "whats this red button for ???" ... Okay, I'll leave it to someone else :(

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  16. Good read, thanks!

     

    Will future articles be posted in new threads, or appended to this one?

  17. The articles will appear on the front page: http://www.wetpixel.com

     

    And I'll probably put a plug in this thread for those who tend to bookmark the forums directly.

     

    Alex

  18. I feel honoured to be selected by Alex to contribute to this series.

     

    When he approached me to contribute to this series I quickly accepted his request. I feel that my photography has developed in part due to the time and assistance from many people therefore, I felt it would be prudent to pay it forward to others. Hopefully it helps some of you with your photography.

     

    Thank you everyone for the kind comments.

     

    Did my accent come out is that...? It sounds just like Mike's. LOL

     

    Cheers

     

    Todd

  19. it does not! you Easterners talk funny... :(

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.