Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

what port for 100mm macro canon on sea and sea

Started by stewsmith ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

what port for 100mm macro canon on sea and sea

6 posts
  1. I am going to be getting a 100mm macro and will be adding a 1.4 TC to it. What do you canon/sea and sea guys use in a way of ports and extensions. I have looked at the sea and sea port chart and there are a few options to use for just the 100mm on its own but no guide there for using a 1.4 tc. It looks to me that the focus control is built into the port itself.

     

    All comments welcome.

     

    Stew

  2. I am going to be getting a 100mm macro and will be adding a 1.4 TC to it. What do you canon/sea and sea guys use in a way of ports and extensions. I have looked at the sea and sea port chart and there are a few options to use for just the 100mm on its own but no guide there for using a 1.4 tc. It looks to me that the focus control is built into the port itself.

     

    All comments welcome.

     

    Stew

     

     

    I think the focus knob is built into the port(NX Zoom port), but on the Sea & sea housing you don't need that(if you get the focus gear you can manually control the lens through the knob on the housing.)

     

    The best would be to take into account the size of the lens plus the ports(i.e. DX base and Port 50 ) listed on the S&S webside and then see if there's any space left for the TC to fit in there with those ports(assuming you will measure the TC), otherwise try calling Reef Photo or Backscatter(they should know) :P . You will lose infinity with the TC(you probably already know that).

  3. I am going to be getting a 100mm macro and will be adding a 1.4 TC to it. What do you canon/sea and sea guys use in a way of ports and extensions. I have looked at the sea and sea port chart and there are a few options to use for just the 100mm on its own but no guide there for using a 1.4 tc. It looks to me that the focus control is built into the port itself.

     

    All comments welcome.

     

    Stew

    Are you getting the new 100mm macro or the current one? I tried the zoom gear for manual focusing - it went back and I have stayed with auto focus as it would not work with the port I have ie the DX Macro port - so do be clear what you want or you end up having to buy another port!!!

  4. What 100mm are we talking about?

    The info on S&S charts are for the "old" non-L version of it.

    How much length does your 1.4 TC add to the lens? (±<1mm precision)

    If you get this info for me, I might be able to help...

  5. Hi Stew,

    A similar question came up a few months ago in regards to the old 100mm and the 500D closeup lens. http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...66&hl=100mm,

    I ended up shaving off .010 or so by taking the teeth off the end of the closeup lens with a dremel tool. Works great now.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  6. Cheers for the replies.

     

    It is the older of the 100mm lenses that I have.

     

    From everything I have managed to read on WP and from advice given from Yuzo, I am really in a dilema. I already have the compact macro port which i use for the 60mm and i also have a 40mm extension ring. These combined actually work with the 100mm attached, but I would lose the ability to use manual focus because of the lack of a focus gear. Not the end of the world I know but I would prefer to have it. Having said that, if I go for a new port set up which would be specific for the 100mm ( sx extension and custom flat port )and then add a convertor or tube into the set up I will also lose the ability to manual focus as the focus gear knob on the custom flat port will be in the way. I am off to Lembeh in may and having been there twice before I really wanted to try some super macro.

     

    Decisions, decisions

     

    Stew

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.