I'm in the market for a new Macbook Pro, upgrading from a two year old Macbook. This will be primarily for downloading and editing trip pics. I'm pretty sure I want to go with the 15" to get more screen size, but I can't see hauling around the 17". I'm using Aperture although will probably be looking at Lightroom and maybe Photoshop in the near future. Any other recommendations on configuration other than "get the biggest hard drive/fastest processor"? Thought I'd throw it out there for real user cost/benefit opinions on the hard drive/processor front as well as other options. Matte screen? Worth getting Snow Leopard at this point? Any other hardware options?
Thanks!
Phil
Hi everyone,
I'm in the market for a new Macbook Pro, upgrading from a two year old Macbook. This will be primarily for downloading and editing trip pics. I'm pretty sure I want to go with the 15" to get more screen size, but I can't see hauling around the 17". I'm using Aperture although will probably be looking at Lightroom and maybe Photoshop in the near future. Any other recommendations on configuration other than "get the biggest hard drive/fastest processor"? Thought I'd throw it out there for real user cost/benefit opinions on the hard drive/processor front as well as other options. Matte screen? Worth getting Snow Leopard at this point? Any other hardware options?
Thanks!
Phil
Take a look here, good overview of the issues/sizes etc. I would say try to get the most RAM you can (usually aftermarket is less expensive) and perhaps look for a refurb model with a expressCard slot. As to Snow Leopard, the ones you purchase, even refurb, from Apple will usually have Snow Leopard at this point, they change it up quickly, though since it is so new many machines from third part sellers probably do not have them on inventory that they have had for awhile
FWIW, I have a MacBook Air. I recently upgraded to Snow Leopard and have had no software issues. It seems that the graphics are a little crisper and it runs faster. I also upgraded to Photoshop Elements 8. I'm just a hobbyist when it comes to photo editing, but I love the new program. Hope this helps a little.
Nate
I recently bought pretty much the exact spec you are going for - 15" Macbook Pro, 4gb Ram 2.4Ghz and I'm very happy with it. I bought a slightly older model second hand though as I also like to do video and the newer models don't have a Firewire 400 socket.
Hey Drew,
Thanks for reminding me of that recent MBP thread. Upon rereading, it helped. I was hoping to get the expressCard slot AND a matte screen, but I was at the Apple Store today and it seems they are mutually exclusive - the matte screen in a 15" is a new option which came in when they changed from the expressCard to the SD. Therefore no refurb'ed machines will have both that screen and the old slot, at least not yet, assuming they make the expressCard available again at some point. I'm wanting this for a trip in early Dec., so I still have some time. I'll be scanning the refurb'ed list waiting for the 15" matte screens to start showing up.
Thanks,
Phil
Hey Drew,
Thanks for reminding me of that recent MBP thread. Upon rereading, it helped. I was hoping to get the expressCard slot AND a matte screen, but I was at the Apple Store today and it seems they are mutually exclusive - the matte screen in a 15" is a new option which came in when they changed from the expressCard to the SD. Therefore no refurb'ed machines will have both that screen and the old slot, at least not yet, assuming they make the expressCard available again at some point. I'm wanting this for a trip in early Dec., so I still have some time. I'll be scanning the refurb'ed list waiting for the 15" matte screens to start showing up.
Thanks,
Phil
Definately keep on scanning the refurbed section at Apple.com. They get things there often. I picked up a Dual 2.5 Ghz with the FW 400 and FW800 and ExpressSlot and Matte Screen, though it was awhile ago. I did see it come in though within the last couple of months when a friend was looking. Been happy with it though I do need to put more RAM in. Only two Gigs and have not got around to that yet....