Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Mac OS X Snow Leopard compatibility with photo apps

Started by echeng ·

  • 33Posts
  • 33Replies

Read-only discussion

Mac OS X Snow Leopard compatibility with photo apps

33 posts
  1. Photographers looking to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" should check to see if any of the applications they use have compatibility issues with the new OS. A good site that lists applications and compatibility is Snow Leopard Compatibility. In particular, photographers should note that Nikon doesn't recommend updating yet, and CaptureOne currently requires a workaround. Also, there were rumors that Adobe Creative Suite 3 (including Photoshop) wouldn't work on Snow Leopard, but those rumors have been debunked.

  2. Thanks Eric. I was reading your facebook posts with interest.

     

    I had to order a new Macbook Pro last week (after the last one died) and I am hoping it comes with 10.5 as the OS (it said it did). Allowing me to upgrade after my Pacific Northwest trip - when everything has been debugged.

     

    Alex

  3. Photographers looking to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" should check to see if any of the applications they use have compatibility issues with the new OS. A good site that lists applications and compatibility is Snow Leopard Compatibility. In particular, photographers should note that Nikon doesn't recommend updating yet, and CaptureOne currently requires a workaround. Also, there were rumors that Adobe Creative Suite 3 (including Photoshop) wouldn't work on Snow Leopard, but those rumors have been debunked.

     

    Thanks for the links. Usually I upgrade in steps, a non-critical partition on the laptop, then get used to it on the laptop, then I move the installs on. I think I have some non Universal Apps though I may need to hang onto that may not run in Snow Leopard (though I have not gone through all the specs on it yet I thought I came across that somewhere. Maybe just Rosessta being dropped?)

  4. You'd think Apple would've worked to make it easier for developers to access preliminary builds so all these issues could be resolved before the public release. ;) Looks like NTFS-write was taken out of the golden master, as well?

     

    Could've used a few more weeks to polish...how long before a hotfix is issued? :D

  5. The developer builds have been available. My apps have mostly been auto-updating. But I suppose it is not realistic to expect all of them to be ready...

  6. I'm going to update the laptop Tuesday when OS10.6 arrives, then play with everything for a few days before updating the desktop. I'm running CS3.

     

    Jack

  7. I'm going to update the laptop Tuesday when OS10.6 arrives, then play with everything for a few days before updating the desktop. I'm running CS3.

     

    Jack

     

    Remember, SuperDuper or something else to have a full clone beforehand, just in case ;) (And deauthorize the hard drive for Apps like Adobe before updating)

  8. It's a common rule of thumb in the IT industry. Dont upgrade to anything with a 0 in it ;) Im waiting for 10.6.1.

  9. Absolutely right. But I like to sacrifice for the greater good of computerdom since my sorrows will be tomorrow's lessons ;) And the beta version didn't suck when it was clean installed.

    I'm absolutely sick of Adobe treating everyone like a criminal. I don't pay $1k for software that holds me at ransom everytime I do something.

    Hmm Firefox just crashed on me while writing this. :D

    I have to say with SSD and 64bit, my computer "feels" like it got a processor upgrade... until you actually do some serious crunching.

    Edited by Drew
  10. Most of my friends have macs, and Im currently enduring their continuous complaining about 10.6 app and OS crashes. Im glad I didnt upgrade yet.

  11. I've upgraded on friday.

    Using Snow leo on MBPro 2.2 with 4gb ram

    and it feels much faster than leo

    maybe it is just a feeling not the real improvement but it just feels this way.

     

    I'm using Lightroom 2.4 and it opens faster.

    No problems with Nikon transfer too.

     

    Only iPhoto crashed 2 times since update.

     

    I've felt a little bit uncomfortable updating to version with zero but my friend had build version and it worked nicely.

     

    If something is wrong i can always reinstall Leo and use time machine backup.

    But I would not upgrade my main work machine yet.

     

    Only thing that was not nice is that they are selling only 1 machine version now there is no family pack yet

    Edited by dzwiad
  12. Was reading that not all Epson printers have updated drivers available. Particularly the 3800.

  13. Not yet compatible with Cooliris, which I have as a gallery option on some collections on my website. Update coming soon, apparently.

     

    Alex

  14. Only thing that was not nice is that they are selling only 1 machine version now there is no family pack yet

     

    I got my family pack on the 28th. Maybe no family packs in Europe?

  15. Only thing that was not nice is that they are selling only 1 machine version now there is no family pack yet

    They had family packs at the Apple store yesterday when I picked up my copy. I only bought for one machine, however, for now.

  16. In Poland they said that it will be in about 3 weeks so i bought single version.

  17. They actually sold out single versions as well on Friday (in Poland).

    I tried to get a copy on Monday in Warsaw with no luck :wacko:

  18. I bought my on 10:15 :wacko: my friend went to the same reseller 30 minutes after me and they were out of stock already

    I think they just ordered only about a dozen.

    It was the same with Leo after a 3-4 weeks they had both single and home versions in stock.

     

    Bart

  19. If you use any of the OnOne plug ins, make sure to consult their website before upgrading -- essentially you deauthorize your computer, upgrade, then download their new installer/updater.

     

    I inadvertently upgraded to Snow Leopard during Apple Store trouble shooting (long story, not really that funny either). Had read all the articles about CS4 and Lightroom not really having any issues but completely forgot about plug-ins. In addition to the OnOne issue, all the Kubota Image Tools now think they have been activated "on a different computer" since the Snow Leopard computer is "new" to them.

  20. I upgraded afterall. Upgrade went smooth. But im keeping a full 10.5 backup handy :)

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.