http://www.dpreview.com/news/0910/09101402nikond3s.asp
looks like dimensions are same as D3 so maybe housings can remain same.
Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic
Started by fotoscubo714 ·
Read-only discussion
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0910/09101402nikond3s.asp
looks like dimensions are same as D3 so maybe housings can remain same.
I heard it has some new buttons though, so I guess the overrall button placement may change along with them.
/can't afford it either way ![]()
Already an on going discussion here (although thread title probably needs updating):
http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32514&hl=
Buttons on back are moved and changed in number - which will mean housing modifications. Although I can't see why any D3 and housing owner would consider buying this over a D3X (assuming they already have a D3).
This is a press camera - designed for press photography and shooting videos for web and TV news. TV news is rarely in HD these days.
Alex
I can't see why any D3 and housing owner would consider buying this over a D3X (assuming they already have a D3).
This is a press camera - designed for press photography and shooting videos for web and TV news. TV news is rarely in HD these days.
Alex
I think the 'available darkness' ability of the D3S speaks for itself. It is noteworthy that Nikon is using an Arctic example. For the inexperienced: at high latitudes dusk and dawn can be very long. I live at 60N, dusk and dawn are each about 2 hours long. This provides interesting photo opps. The D3S is a new tool for the toolkit, quite different from capabilities of the D3X.
Looks like the main issue will be updating existing D3 housings for the extra buttons as well as moved buttons (such as those to the left of the chimping screen). There is now a separate info button, video aside.
Tom ![]()
Didn't take too long for Canon to respond with their 1DMark4 {http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=3108&productID=349&articleTypeID=125}
Let the battle begin!
Already an on going discussion here (although thread title probably needs updating):http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32514&hl=
Buttons on back are moved and changed in number - which will mean housing modifications. Although I can't see why any D3 and housing owner would consider buying this over a D3X (assuming they already have a D3).
This is a press camera - designed for press photography and shooting videos for web and TV news. TV news is rarely in HD these days.
Alex
I've posted a new thread to use to discuss the new Canon 1D Mark IV:
Let the battle begin!
It will be interesting to see how the high ISOs compare. Interesting that the Canon is crop while the Nikon is FF, the shoe is on the other foot. ![]()
Interesting that the Canon is crop while the Nikon is FF, the shoe is on the other foot.![]()
Not really - the 1D has always been 1.3x crop. The 1Ds IV (FF) won't be out for a few months...
the 1D has always been 1.3x crop.
This is true but 'once upon a time' Nikon made a ~12MP dSLR called a D2X that was a crop sensor camera when at the same time Canon was making a ~16MP dSLR called a EOS 1Ds Mark II that was full frame. Now with these new speed kings, the 'croppage' has reversed, while the MP is within 1 MP the same for each brand, which I find a bit ironic recalling all the internet chatter of the time. ![]()
Tom
Yeah, but Canon has always had 1D and 1Ds cameras, with the 1D hitting the new generation before the 1Ds. I don't see the situation as having changed...
I was seduced into buying a D700 for its low-light capability but of course I found this to be of little value more than a couple of metres underwater since I found that I needed to take some full-spectrum light with me. Great for monochromatic shots around deep wrecks though. The D3S looks a fantastic camera for news, rock-gig and sports photographers and for church services.
I've attached a typically monochromatic picture. It's a nice effect but one you can only use once!
I was seduced into buying a D700 for its low-light capability but of course I found this to be of little value more than a couple of metres underwater since I found that I needed to take some full-spectrum light with me. Great for monochromatic shots around deep wrecks though. The D3S looks a fantastic camera for news, rock-gig and sports photographers and for church services.
I've attached a typically monochromatic picture. It's a nice effect but one you can only use once!
Maybe with the enormous improvement in high-iso it is time for some new "deep-magick" filters. The original version I believe reduced green and blue by only about one stop. The much lower noise should allow one to bring down blue/green by several stops and thus allow use at greater depth. Of course you can always stack a few filters on top of each other to obtain the desired result.
Whatever filter combination you use it will work best in a limited depth range but if you know in advance at what depth you will find your wreck, or mouth breeding yellowhead jawfish, it could give interesting results. May be a nice way to put those high frame rates or video options to good use without crashing your strobe or needing video lights.
Bart
Thicker filters might make it harder to get good optical quality (?), but I like the idea.
I am more interested in Nikon's rumored D800 and 16-35 F4 AF-S VR lens we might see in early 2010.
Thicker filters might make it harder to get good optical quality (?), but I like the idea.
Stacking multiple existing filters would not be ideal or maybe even bad. Having a single filter with stronger attenuation would not, I expect, give poorer optical quality. Neutral density filters come in many different attenuation strengths and to my knowledge they are equivalent in terms of optical quality. So if we could get a stronger magick filter, deep magickTM
, optical quality should remain the same. Of course there will be less light for (auto) focus but I think there will be many interesting opportunities where that is not an issue.
One other thing to consider is that strobes have limited reach as light intensity from a point source falls off with the square of the distance. Ambient light intensity doesn't fall off with distance apart from absorption effects.
If you end up trying this please let us know how it worked out.
Bart
High ISO perforance (10,000 plus) with this camera is pretty impressive
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D3S/...ranny_10000.HTM
OOOOOOOOOOH it's real sweet and yummy. But then again, couldn't afford it! I'm stuck with a D40.. but anyways, better than nothing right.
I am more interested in Nikon's rumored D800 and 16-35 F4 AF-S VR lens we might see in early 2010.
That makes two of us, a D800 sized similarly to a D700, but with a sensor and focus capability similar to the D3x is my dream camera... It doesn't look like the D3s will be very popular underwater.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.