Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Jumping in

Started by Scubysnaps ·

  • 17Posts
  • 17Replies

Read-only discussion

Jumping in

17 posts
  1. When UK diving, quite a few times there isnt an opportunity to have the camera handed down by the skipper, so in the past with my G9 set up I've had to jump in with it, with my new SLR set up I would obviously be more concerned especially when jumping in with a dome part on.

    Do people tend to jump in with it if they have to, if so do they have a technique to ease any pressure from the plunge?

     

    Cheers

    Woody :blink:

  2. When UK diving, quite a few times there isnt an opportunity to have the camera handed down by the skipper, so in the past with my G9 set up I've had to jump in with it, with my new SLR set up I would obviously be more concerned especially when jumping in with a dome part on.

    Do people tend to jump in with it if they have to, if so do they have a technique to ease any pressure from the plunge?

     

    Cheers

    Woody :blink:

     

    I prefer having it handed to me, but some good threads and discussions (there are others also)

     

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...&pid=118883

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...d&pid=61169

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...d&pid=34962

  3. Thanks for that :blink:

    I saw this one from James that would do the trick for me:)

     

     

    "I saw Gerb pull a good trick in Fiji. He had a 2' line with a clip that he clipped off to his housing. The other end had a wrist strap.

     

    He'd stand on the platform, lower the housing into the water, then jump. It seemed to work pretty well (for small boats). On the Fling and Spree, you do a giant stride, hold onto a rope, and then they lower the camera to you (6') on a line.

     

    Cheers

    James "

     

     

    I have a "coiled extendable" lanyard that I used on my G9, if I detach it , it will stretch upto 2 oe 3 foot, so I could lower it in first then attach it back together once in, cheers :lol:

    Edited by Scubysnaps
  4. Most boats around here have DM's that lower the camera to you on a line, just a good strong rope with a solid brass clip on the end. Works well. One discussion I read for situations where there's no one to hand you the camera (in good conditions only) is to do the same thing yourself... lower the camera into about 1' of water, tie the rope off SECURELY topside, jump in, and detach the camera and do your dive. Leave the rope behind, dangling in the water, so you can reverse the process on the way back in. Just be damned sure that rope is well secured topside!

     

    If you absolutely have to jump with the camera, two techniques I've seen are (a) jump in holding the rig above your head, so you break the water and the impact is minimal. Naturally, scissor kick as hard as possible to keep the camera above water as much as possible when you hit. And (b) fall backward, tank first, cradling the camera on your chest. Again, this way you break things up by impacting the water first and minimizing the water's impact on the camera.

     

    Oh, btw: No warranty should be inferred. :blink:

    Edited by CompuDude
  5. Cool thanks for that :blink:

  6. Cool thanks for that :blink:

    I nearly always jump in with the camera. I just push the camera upwards as I hit the water to minimise any impact.

    I have seen more cameras lost by being dropped when handed in than I have seen flooded from the jump.

  7. If you absolutely have to jump with the camera, two techniques I've seen are (a) jump in holding the rig above your head, so you break the water and the impact is minimal. Naturally, scissor kick as hard as possible to keep the camera above water as much as possible when you hit. And (b) fall backward, tank first, cradling the camera on your chest. Again, this way you break things up by impacting the water first and minimizing the water's impact on the camera.

     

    I've used (b) lots of times when entering from a rib - no problems.

  8. I've used (b) lots of times when entering from a rib - no problems.

    True, but that's not a very challenging test, since you barely fall at all. Try a larger boat with a gate 4-6' off the surface, and you have more of a test! LOL

    IMG_3608.JPGIMG_3203-crop.jpg

  9. jump in holding the rig above your head, so you break the water and the impact is minimal. Naturally, scissor kick as hard as possible to keep the camera above water as much as possible when you hit.

    Oh, btw: No warranty should be inferred. :blink:

    I tried this once long ago with a MMII. The connection to the strobe leaked during that dive and I suspect it started during the entry. Always had the camera handed to me since. Never a leak since as well.

  10. What about jumping in sitting down with legs right out, that would break the fall better than feet first, bit like a belly flop!?

  11. What about jumping in sitting down with legs right out, that would break the fall better than feet first, bit like a belly flop!?

    you let me video you doing a bellyflop in dive gear, and I will hand you your camera gear when its over. :blink:

  12. you let me video you doing a bellyflop in dive gear, and I will hand you your camera gear when its over. :lol:

     

    :) I meant with the bottom of your legs slapping onto the water while you're in the sit position instead of your belly! but your wetsuit would protect you from the slap...never mind! :blink:

  13. :) I meant with the bottom of your legs slapping onto the water while you're in the sit position instead of your belly! but your wetsuit would protect you from the slap...never mind! :blink:

    I still want video of this. :lol:

     

    I suppose it might help? Not sure it's strictly necessary... plus you could smack yourself in the face with a housing. Ouch.

  14. Being a solo diver from time to time on my own small boat I just attach it to a line and lower it into the water...In rough conditions I would attach it to the tag line and float so it drifts away from the boat.

     

    My 2 cents!

     

    Mike

  15. My G9 in an Ike, a couple of INON strobes and a Fisheye focus lamp isn't far short of the size and weight of a DSLR system and I always jump in with it. I hang the camera from the shoulder D-rings with a couple of Fastex clips and grip the rig by the port to stop it hitting me in the face as I enter the water. Touch wood, I have never experienced a problem.

     

    My G9 in an Ike, a couple of INON strobes and a Fisheye focus lamp isn't far short of the size and weight of a DSLR system and I always jump in with it. I hang the camera from the shoulder D-rings with a couple of Fastex clips and grip the rig by the port to stop it hitting me in the face as I enter the water. Touch wood, I have never experienced a problem.

  16. I have a DSLR. I fasten the top of the two strobe arms to my BC using a clip system. I use my right arm to hold it to my chest and the left on the reg. As I giant stride I'll rotate slightly and lean slightly back. I've yet to have an issue but my ports screw on pretty securely.

  17. Very timely thread, I was just thinking about this issue!

     

    Especially in the UK the boat will often be moving as you jump so having anything handed down is a bit difficult and you're basically forced to jump in with all your kit. When I had my G9 I wasn't worried but now I've got my DSLR housing I'm a little more concerned

     

    I have a DSLR. I fasten the top of the two strobe arms to my BC using a clip system. I use my right arm to hold it to my chest and the left on the reg. As I giant stride I'll rotate slightly and lean slightly back. I've yet to have an issue but my ports screw on pretty securely.

     

     

    That sounds like a good system - I've seen a lot of people hold it but lift as they hit the water to buffer the impact, you're happy that you don't need to?

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.