Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Help Shooting Sharks!!

Started by Tjsnapper ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Help Shooting Sharks!!

14 posts
  1. Hi Everyone, I am hoping some of you can offer some quick tips for photographing sharks. I am off to the Red Sea on Friday for a weeks liveaboard to try and find some Longimanus at Elphonstone, Brothers and Deadelus as part of the "Longimanus project" with Elke Bojanowski. I have seen some great Oceanic pics here and have not done much wide angle shooting, especially out in the blue, in fact the only time I have seen a shark whilst diving in the Red Sea was during my Rescue diver practical exam.... :) (Sod's law)

     

    Anyway as I said before, any tips on finding and shooting the critters would be great.

     

    Many thanks

     

    Tristan

  2. If Longimanus are around I like to be away from the 'herd' which often means hanging out in the blue so your guide may get a bit twitchy if you dont put a buoy up...

     

    Rather than have to hang on to a reel or have one clipped on to me I take a 1 kg weight and attach that and let it bob alongside. Longimanus find it fascinating too so you may have to discourage them from eating it!

     

    Stay vertical and let the sharks come to you, which they will and most often from the down current side.

     

    Enjoy :)

     

    Hope this helps, Tim

    Edited by Timmoranuk
  3. Thanks Tim.

    As we are the whole week is about locating documenting and possibly tagging some sharks we will, hopefully have some time in the blue by ourselves.

    My other half is a little concerned anyway as she has heard all the stories about the death in Egypt earlier this year etc etc so I may well find myself solo anyway :)

     

    How exactly do you "discourage" a shark from eating things? :)

     

    Tristan

  4. And what is the reasoning for staying vertical?

  5. Also work through a variety of lenses. They will come right up to the lens - which is very dramatic with a fisheye, but leaves them distorted. So do some dives with longer lenses. This I took with a 17-35mm - gives a different look. Also shoot some verticals - everyone shoots sharks as horizontal (because they are that shape) so vertical images stand out more:

     

    amustard_47.jpg

     

    Regarding safety with the sharks - don't be on the surface, don't wear bright colours (including bright blues) or have any white skin showing. And keep turning around, slowly, all the time - so you know what is behind you.

     

    Technique-wise. Expose for the blue. And set your strobes to give the correct amount of fill when the shark is the optimum (close) distance for your best shot. Many people set strobe powers when the sharks are too far away, then when the shark comes right in, and they have the perfect shot - it is blown out.

     

    When shooting with the fisheye, get to the edge of the group. I think oceanics look great in a big blue scene. Shark does not have to fill the frame.

     

    Alex

     

    p.s. When you're back I want some tips on shooting long lenses above water. Really enjoyed

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  6. p.s. When you're back I want some tips on shooting long lenses above water. Really enjoyed

     

    Thanks Alex,

     

    I was going to take the 15mm Fish eye and a 17-40 with a +4 Diopter to give a bit of varyation. Looks like I had better get some gloves on my hands :)

    Bethan already says that I look like a large seal underwater ( not sure quite what she means !!) but I was explaining that Seal probably wasn't top of the menu for Oceanics LOL :)

     

    I will get the 400mm primed for when I get back then, it is generally pretty easy, but you have a few techniques that need to be employed to keeo the damn thing steady, especailly in windl like we have at the moment. :ninja:

     

    Trsitan

  7. Alex gave the reason for staying vertical. Don't let the buggers creep up on you!

     

    If they get a bit too familiar or try and eat something, show 'em who's boss with a shove or thump. You can always give 'em a squirt with your octopus too.

     

    An interesting thought about colours Alex. CJ may dissagree though having had a Longimanus hanging on to his black Mares Quattro :)

  8. An interesting thought about colours Alex. CJ may dissagree though having had a Longimanus hanging on to his black Mares Quattro :)

     

    Excellent..... sounds like some fun.. :) did you get a shot of it ?

     

    Tristan

  9. Alex gave the reason for staying vertical. Don't let the buggers creep up on you!

     

    Are you refering to the advice of turning all the time?

    If so helicopter turns while being horisontal will work a charm.

  10. Are you refering to the advice of turning all the time?

    If so helicopter turns while being horisontal will work a charm.

     

     

    When swimming with sharks, it is usually better to position yourself vertically. You present a larger area to them and make yourself look bigger (think of a frilled lizard when it spreads its fan). Another tip is to try an maintain the same depth as the rest of the group. Any bounces up or down will draw the shark(s) attention. Of course sometimes you want to draw their attention so they will come in for a shot. This can be done by getting into the blue and separating yourself from the group. Avoid being at the surface at all cost, as this is where sharks know that carcasses can float. Keep you eye on the shark and watch its behavior - curiosity is good, but don't let it feel too comfortable. The main thing is to let the shark come in to you. If you swim at it, it will usually turn away or back down (it is basically perceiving you as another large predator and you just challenged it - worst case scenario is the shark may think it is up to the challenge). A shark need not be feared but a healthy dose of respect and distrust should be used when dealing with them. Just remember to be aware and look around you as much as through the viewfinder. When done safely, I think having a close experience with a shark is one of the most powerful encounters you can have in nature. Good luck and enjoy! Please post an update and some shots when you return...

     

    cheers!

     

    - MDP

  11. When swimming with sharks, it is usually better to position yourself vertically. You present a larger area to them and make yourself look bigger (think of a frilled lizard when it spreads its fan). Another tip is to try an maintain the same depth as the rest of the group. Any bounces up or down will draw the shark(s) attention. Of course sometimes you want to draw their attention so they will come in for a shot. This can be done by getting into the blue and separating yourself from the group. Avoid being at the surface at all cost, as this is where sharks know that carcasses can float. Keep you eye on the shark and watch its behavior - curiosity is good, but don't let it feel too comfortable. The main thing is to let the shark come in to you. If you swim at it, it will usually turn away or back down (it is basically perceiving you as another large predator and you just challenged it - worst case scenario is the shark may think it is up to the challenge). A shark need not be feared but a healthy dose of respect and distrust should be used when dealing with them. Just remember to be aware and look around you as much as through the viewfinder. When done safely, I think having a close experience with a shark is one of the most powerful encounters you can have in nature. Good luck and enjoy! Please post an update and some shots when you return...

    cheers!

    - MDP

     

    Thanks for the advice Matt,

    Diving with sharks is something I have wanted to do since I was a kid, actually I still am a kid but with more expensive toys :)

    As I said earlier the only time I have seen a shark whilst diving was during a practical exam and even the instructors I was with put the exercise on hold to watch it, especially as it was only a few feet behind the examiner.

    It was so graceful, it was just gliding through the water, awesome. I think that my other half will have to look out for me as well, four eyes are better than 2.

    I only hope that I can, A. see some sharks and B. do them justice with the camera.

     

    Tristan

  12. One more quick tip: I usually wear freediving fins when I dive with sharks as a flick of the fin at them usually dissuades them from getting uncomfortably close and adds a little big of length to your profile - remember in the open blue, size rules...

     

    cheers!

     

    - MDP

  13. remember in the open blue, size rules...

     

    Thank Matt,

    looks like an open invitation for several Big Mac's in the airport, I'd better bulk up!!

     

    Tristan

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.