Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Just done a 1to1 Martin Edge course!

Started by Scubysnaps ·

  • 23Posts
  • 23Replies

Read-only discussion

Just done a 1to1 Martin Edge course!

23 posts
  1. Just got in from a 1to1 course with Martin Edge.

     

    What can I say, what a learning curve he just got me over, (Next hurdle please!) Fantastic! I'd well receommend it to anyone who's new into SLR underwater photography, or even if you're just considering SLR, as it cartainly made my mind up what I was doing, I feel a compact held me back too much, I dont like hanging around much trying to improve on something that has its limits (I dont like limits!) and "cheating" to get round to what you really want, which is so easily achievable with an SLR, and Martin's course is great to lead you down the right path, even if you've alrerady got an SLR he can put you right on a lot of things and learn you new techniques without doubt.

    Thanks Martin :)

     

    Woody

    a la Scubysnaps :)

  2. Poor Martin! Hope you didn't drive him over the 'EDGE' :) :)

  3. Poor Martin! Hope you didn't drive him over the 'EDGE' :) :)

    What do you mean..."poor Martin" are you trying to say I ask too many questions!? :) hopefully now, I won't have to!

     

    Has anyone else here been on one of his courses or trips?

  4. Hey Woody

    If you don't ask questions, how you gonna get any answers?! Sounds like you had a great time learning from Martin. I've read his book, but as of yet have not had the pleasure of meeting him. Hopefully some day!

    Mike

  5. Squeaky wheel gets the grease :) So.... you gonna share some tidbits with us peasants? :)

  6. Hey Woody

    If you don't ask questions, how you gonna get any answers?! Sounds like you had a great time learning from Martin. I've read his book, but as of yet have not had the pleasure of meeting him. Hopefully some day!

    Mike

     

    Indeed! thanks Mike :)

     

    Squeaky wheel gets the grease :) So.... you gonna share some tidbits with us peasants? :)

     

    Hi Greg ;)

    Well if you need to get on Martins way of thinking I would first buy his book Greg, the new edition should be hopefully out by Christmans! His course was a bit like putting the final pieces of the puzzle together really which "came free" with his book!

     

    ...not saying his books a puzzle of course! I think you know what I mean!

    Edited by Scubysnaps
  7. Indeed! thanks Mike :)

     

     

     

    Hi Greg :)

    Well if you need to get on Martins way of thinking I would first buy his book Greg, the new edition should be hopefully out by Christmans! His course was a bit like putting the final pieces of the puzzle together really which "came free" with his book!

     

    ...not saying his books a puzzle of course! I think you know what I mean!

     

    I have his 3rd edition Woody :) Just curious what tidbits he imparted unto you ;)

  8. Oh this and that Greg :)

    I dont want to really divulge the ins and outs if it all, it was an intense day, I could be here quite a while writing a report on it, still trying to piece it all up myself and get it all together never mind telling the whole world! Just wanted to say it was a cracking day really :)

  9. Oh this and that Greg :)

    I dont want to really divulge the ins and outs if it all, it was an intense day, I could be here quite a while writing a report on it, still trying to piece it all up myself and get it all together never mind telling the whole world! Just wanted to say it was a cracking day really :)

     

    Glad it was a good, informative time Woody :)

  10. Hi Woody,

     

    Sounds like you had a good time! Where abouts did you do the course, was it pool based or did you go out on a dive somewhere?

     

    Mark

  11. Hi Mark, less than an hour's drive from you in a hotel in Bournemouth, used their pool.

  12. Has anyone else here been on one of his courses or trips?

     

     

    My girlfriend did a course with him a little while back and found it very useful. Highly recommended.

     

    The location is about 40 minutes from Southampton (I drove her!).

     

    Alex

  13. My boss has been on several courses and trips with Martin, and always comes back raving about them!

     

    They sound great!

     

    Amazon are still listing early December for edition 4, and the pre-order deal is quite a good one!

     

    Adam

  14. Great very easy for me in Southampton! I've found the details on his web site but no prices! Think I will read his new book and then investigate getting myself booked on a course with him!

  15. I have thought about adding a 1 on 1 while on the way to a Red Sea outing...stopping in the UK long enough for the 1 on 1. If you had it to do over, what would you do different?

    Would you tape record your conversations or would they be of limited use without seeing what is being discussed?

    I suspect Martin would provide far more information than my pea brain could process in one day...but if I could refer to it again, I would get more later...not unlike reviewing parts of a book a few times.

    Since you have had the experience...any way you would enhance it?

    Would taking time with Martin just before an outing make sense or do you feel you need more time to process what was discussed to make good use of it?

  16. Hi Dave,

    I dont think taping it would be a thing Martin would like, dont think anyone would to be honest! He likes it to be a personal day, tailored to suit your own needs, what would I do different, maybe have left it a bit longer so I would have had more time to experiment with my new camera so I would have had more questions perhaps? But then I would have had possible bad habits to try and shake off, its hard to say, a couple of things came back to me last night that I never realised I picked up, and I'm sure a lot more will too, when I'm in Manado next month.

     

    I have thought about adding a 1 on 1 while on the way to a Red Sea outing...stopping in the UK long enough for the 1 on 1. If you had it to do over, what would you do different?

    Would you tape record your conversations or would they be of limited use without seeing what is being discussed?

    I suspect Martin would provide far more information than my pea brain could process in one day...but if I could refer to it again, I would get more later...not unlike reviewing parts of a book a few times.

    Since you have had the experience...any way you would enhance it?

    Would taking time with Martin just before an outing make sense or do you feel you need more time to process what was discussed to make good use of it?

  17. Glad you had a good time!

  18. Recording or filming a course is a big NO, NO, and the school where I teach photography at night has some opening slides advising that camcorder and voice recorder are banned from the classroom, I am pretty sure that my buddy Mauricio Handler who gives underwater photography workshop as well would be of the same opinion, its seen as very rude in the teaching circle.

     

    Never met Martin, but he has a stellar reputation for giving the max in is course, and a lot of the things you learned in the course stay dormant in the brain and only surface a bit later when confronted with this or that situation. then you get the HEY! I know that, lightbulb feeling over your head ;).

  19. Woody,

     

    i live in guildford, but summer in christchurch each year, and have been looking for exactly this thing and found Martin's website after reading his book and will book my course as soon as i have placed my order for my 7d housing!!! Should be in the spring so cant wait!

     

    Olly

  20. Good luck buddy :) in the mean time if you ever want a photo related dive down swanage pier or Portland with Scimitar PM me :D

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.