Filmed at Lembeh Straits Nov 2009 (20 Dives) with Light & Motion Bluefin SR12 110 fathom WA lens & no lights
This has pretty much all the best things and more that you go to Lembeh to see. No boring pretty fish & there is a nice treat at the end! ![]()
Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic
Started by RestlessDeviant ·
Read-only discussion
Filmed at Lembeh Straits Nov 2009 (20 Dives) with Light & Motion Bluefin SR12 110 fathom WA lens & no lights
This has pretty much all the best things and more that you go to Lembeh to see. No boring pretty fish & there is a nice treat at the end! ![]()
Nice video, you can easily embed your videos for others to see here on wetpixel, there's instructions here
Thanks James, wonderful stuff! I've never seen so many eels and morays out running around in the daytime. Is that typical in that part of the world? I also didn't know you could get that nice of a color rendition with no lights. Are you shooting pretty shallow? Sorry for the video newbie questions.
Still learning,
Steve
Hi Steve!
With the camera I have I can go down and white balance underwater till about 25m 70ft. After that darkness is not the problem, just that the camera can't add in any more red! I personally really prefer using natural light, even though a few of the clips slightly suffer for it. I have also just upgraded from the standard 65 lens to the 110 fathom & the difference with the light is HUGE. It just lets in so much more light and colour then the standard it's insane.
I don't usually have trouble with the light when the viz is good, but in Lembeh the viz can be very bad which did make a few dives dark underwater.
The only shots though I had to bin, were usually during the last 30mins of the 3rd dive of the day of stuff below 10m 33ft.
I remember some of the mimic shots and the blue ring octopus was at 20m 66ft, to give you an idea.
Yeah there are tones of Eels swimming around in Lembeh. I have lots more footage on the cutting room floor but narrowed it down to those clips. A lot of the eels on that video I didn't even know existed before that trip e.g. white ribbon eel…
Thanks, I'm Glad you enjoyed!
James
Been there so many times and am going back because I still haven't filmed a blue ring. You lucky dog you.
Steve
Been there so many times and am going back because I still haven't filmed a blue ring. You lucky dog you.Steve
Quick Quick........ Gonna be a good time for some Blue Ringed Babies!!! ![]()
Hi James
Nice vid (although only managed to watch the first 8 mins due to a real slow internet connection)! I'm going to be there myself in about a weeks time and due to a catastrophic failure of my lights I'm also going to be white balancing for the first part of my stay at least. What were you using to balance off of, the surface or were you taking something down with you?
Cheers, Simon
Hi James
Nice vid (although only managed to watch the first 8 mins due to a real slow internet connection)! I'm going to be there myself in about a weeks time and due to a catastrophic failure of my lights I'm also going to be white balancing for the first part of my stay at least. What were you using to balance off of, the surface or were you taking something down with you?
Cheers, Simon
Hey Simon ... Isn't there anyone out there you could rent/borrow some lights from ...
Dive safe
DeanB
The mating Blue Ring Octopus is absolutely stunning! Really, really great!
Hi James
Nice vid (although only managed to watch the first 8 mins due to a real slow internet connection)! I'm going to be there myself in about a weeks time and due to a catastrophic failure of my lights I'm also going to be white balancing for the first part of my stay at least. What were you using to balance off of, the surface or were you taking something down with you?
Cheers, Simon
I just use the sun ![]()
I just use the sun
Great, glad it works in Lembeh too ![]()
Cheers, Simon
Hey Simon ... Isn't there anyone out there you could rent/borrow some lights from ...
Dive safe
DeanB
Maybe mate, but I'm still getting over the fact that my lights arrived in Bunaken 25 days after they were due to arrive, got fleeced for $500 by customs and then as soon as they hit the water on the first night dive they conked out!! Actually think I've sorted it now....hopefully.....maybe.......... ![]()
Cheers, Simon
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.