Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon 7D in Sea & Sea 5D MK II Housing

Started by MIKE POWELL ·

  • 22Posts
  • 22Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon 7D in Sea & Sea 5D MK II Housing

22 posts
  1. Does someone out there own a Sea & Sea 5D MK II housing that can get their hands on a 7D and give it a try?

     

    Thanks!

     

    Mike

  2. Mike

     

    Ill pop it into the housing today when I get into the store.

  3. Mike

     

    Ill pop it into the housing today when I get into the store.

     

    I'll be very much interested in your report and perhaps make a trip south to see your store.

     

    Bo

  4. Mike

     

    Ill pop it into the housing today when I get into the store.

     

     

    Hey Mike...any luck?

  5. Hey Mike...any luck?

     

    I'm hoping it worked and these guys are diving the set up for a full report. ;)

  6. Hi guys, sorry I never made it into the store yesterday, one of my websites crashed, so I was on my computer all day at home. I will be in there tomorrow AM and will test it out. Sorry about that!

  7. I tried the 7d in the S&S 5d Mark II housing this morning. The camera will not even go into the housing because the flash itself (closed of course) hits the top of the inside of the housing. That being said, no luck testing out the alignment or controls.

    Edited by Mike L
  8. I tried the 7d in the S&S 5d Mark II housing this morning. The camera will not even go into the housing because the flash itself (closed of course) hits the top of the inside of the housing. That being said, no luck testing out the alignment or controls.

     

     

    Thanks a lot for trying Mike!

  9. I tried the 7d in the S&S 5d Mark II housing this morning. The camera will not even go into the housing because the flash itself (closed of course) hits the top of the inside of the housing. That being said, no luck testing out the alignment or controls.

     

    Ditto here! Thank you for trying and reporting back. You sure you don't want to try that hammer and chisel approach? LOL.

    Hope to stop by the store soon.

     

    Bo

  10. As reported by various members here at Wetpixel who tried the 7D inside a 5Dm2 housing, the following shows:

     

    Sea&Sea - no

    Aquatica - yes (with modifications)

    Subal - no

    Ikelite - ??? (Hope to have an answer soon).

     

    Anybody else tried a 7D inside a housing not designed for this camera?

     

    Bo

  11. I'll just chip in- I have a 5D (not mark II) housing from Ikelite- since modified to accomodate the mark II. The 7D does physically fit inside, but it would need quite a few modifications. Rear thumb wheel does not align, nor does the set button in the middle. The body as a whole sits further forward in the housing, so the controls do not reach, but more seriously than that, the horizontal alignment is far enough out that I don't think the control would turn the wheel anyway. * button, focus point button and AF-ON can be hit with minor tip modifications compared to the 5D II alignment. Same goes for most of the buttons on the LHS of LCD. The Q button is not accessible. Would need a major mod to access the liveview/vid switch and the start/stop button. And would need a new swictch to access the on/off switch. Buttons in front of the top LCD are also out of alignment, but most (maybe not all) could be accessed after control tip modifications. There are enough modifications needed that I don't think I'll bother with it. I'll keep the housing for the 5D II and maybe buy a new one for the 7D.

  12. Hi,

     

    I am using a 5D Mark II in a Hugyfot housing. Did anyone tested a 7D in a Hugyfot housing?

     

    Thank you.

     

    Adrian

  13. I would suggest people look the other way around. The 7D is a bit taller, so it's housings will be more likely to fit the 5D2 than vice versa. Well that's when the 7D housings become available ;)

  14. You have it dead on Drew. Machined aluminum housings today are designed to fit the cameras as much like a glove as possible. The 7d being taller than the 5D2 is likely not going to fit into any 5d2 housings, however the opposite may very well fit (camera controls may very however).

  15. Having seen both, the controls are off. But buying a 2nd back with controls for the joystick and dials would be all that's needed. Almost all shooting controls can be handled through the info menu.

  16. For those who are interested...as I am planning on doing it... ;)

     

    Scanned my 5dmk2 & 7D on a flatbed scanner so sizing is accurate.

     

    Here's the 5dmk2 overlayed on the 7D body. Was too lazy to take off the battery grips but you can see the height difference, so ideally, the tray for the 5Dmk2 needs to be made a touch taller. Red areas are the 5dmk2 controls, I've lined up the viewfinders as that's what's crucial with the housing back. Based on this, rear command should work as well as the set button, inserts could be made to access the slightly offset left side buttons.

     

    7d-5d%20Overlay.jpg

     

    Stu

  17. being interested in the pros and cons of crop vs full-frame underwater, if you have a 5D2 housing why would you want to use a 7D in it instead of the 5D2?

  18. A couple of reasons in favour of crop off the top of my head- one is that you can use the highly-favoured Tokina 10-17 fisheye zoom. There is still no full-frame equivalent. The other is that for macro you will get a deeper depth field which is handy in some situations.

    Of course the full frame of the 5D Mark II can offer cleaner images at high iso and a slightly higher resolution.

  19. Fergus do you have any samples of the 10-17 on the 7D? I've used it on a 12mp but am concerned the lens may not have the resolution past that and the flaws will start showing.

    I tried it with a TC on my 5D and it was not good optically. It's probably the TC affecting the image but at 21 and 17mp, the softness was distracting to me, not to mention all that purple fringing.

    Edited by Drew
  20. Drew, I haven't yet tried it underwater, but I can shoot a couple of topside shots in the next few days and post if that will help. I should imagine that it will be OK in the middle, but have a bit of CA at the edges. Anyway, I'll let you know when I've done a test shot or two, unless anyone else who has this combo cares to step in...

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.