Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Ikelite 7D housing

Started by Glasseye Snapper ·

  • 26Posts
  • 26Replies

Read-only discussion

Ikelite 7D housing

26 posts
  1. I just read on the Ikelite site that their new 7D housing is available now. The message seems to be dated Nov 12 but to my surprise I can't find any threat on it on wetpixel. The housing is also listed on B&H for $1414.95, although it is indicated to be out of stock.

     

    I still assume I've missed the threat on this someway, but if there is none then now there is.

     

    To read the housing description go to this Ikelite page

     

    Bart

  2. I just read on the Ikelite site that their new 7D housing is available now. The message seems to be dated Nov 12 but to my surprise I can't find any threat on it on wetpixel. The housing is also listed on B&H for $1414.95, although it is indicated to be out of stock.

     

    I still assume I've missed the threat on this someway, but if there is none then now there is.

     

    To read the housing description go to this Ikelite page

     

    Bart

     

    Indeed, it arrived at my doorstep about 10 or so days ago. Though, given I live in WashDC...I haven't really put it to use yet. Waiting for a trip in three weeks. Woot to Indonesia and the Maldives! :wacko:

  3. Glad you replaced the baggie, :wacko: Congrats!

     

    Steve

  4. Hi Glasseye,

     

    It's good to see that I am not the only one in Edmonton!

     

    I just ordered the Ikelite 7D case from Ocean Sports.

     

    It shipped yesterday, should be here mid next week

     

     

    Hope that helps!

     

     

    Oldman2

  5. Hi Oldman,

     

    Congrats with the new camera and housing. I've kept telling myself that I won't need to upgrade my 20D until I improve to the extent that a better camera actually starts making a difference. Even though I won a nice Sea&Sea 110alpha strobe in a competition last year I don't think I've reached that level yet. However, with the 7D announcement it is extremely tempting to set rational thought aside, even though our land-locked location means I get to have only one dive holiday per year. Anyway, my wife dropped the camera and it is now a tiny bit harder to open the battery compartment. Maybe I can use that as an argument to upgrade :wacko: Our next trip won't be until next summer so I can dream a bit longer before deciding.

     

    Best of luck with the new toys and I hope to see some posts from wetpixelers on the housing and especially its use for video underwater.

     

    Cheers, Bart

  6. Indeed, it arrived at my doorstep about 10 or so days ago. Though, given I live in WashDC...I haven't really put it to use yet. Waiting for a trip in three weeks. Woot to Indonesia and the Maldives! :wacko:

     

    Hi Ray,

     

    Since you have the new 7D Ikelite housing in your posession, can you report if the Ikelite housing will allow the 7D flash to be open just partially (when installed inside the housing) and allow the flash to be triggered? Thanks for any info on this. :)

     

    Bo

  7. Hi Ray,

     

    Since you have the new 7D Ikelite housing in your posession, can you report if the Ikelite housing will allow the 7D flash to be open just partially (when installed inside the housing) and allow the flash to be triggered? Thanks for any info on this. :wacko:

     

    Bo

     

     

    Hey Bo-

     

    Unfortunately I flew out to Lincoln, NE for work for a few days (just prior to your posting). But when I return Thursday morning I'll double-check if nobody else has. Sorry!

  8. Hey Bo-

     

    Unfortunately I flew out to Lincoln, NE for work for a few days (just prior to your posting). But when I return Thursday morning I'll double-check if nobody else has. Sorry!

     

    No problem, no need to apologize. That four letter word (work) is paying for your play. Whenever you can report is fine. :wacko:

     

    Bo

    Edited by fotoscubo714
  9. My new toy on its first "dive". I'm looking forward to playing with the new mounting stud up top for the focus light. So far it looks promising.

    A little annoying to attach remove though. Hopefully will get it out in the Sound in the next week and a half or so.

     

    post-2405-1260507630.jpg

     

    Eric

  10. My new toy on its first "dive". I'm looking forward to playing with the new mounting stud up top for the focus light. So far it looks promising.

    A little annoying to attach remove though. Hopefully will get it out in the Sound in the next week and a half or so.

     

    Eric

     

    Can anybody here with a new 7D Ikelite housing report back if the housing allows enough space above the flash, to allow it to open just enough for it to be triggered (this would be without the Ikelite TTL hotshoe connector). I'm curious if an optical modification is possible with the current housing. Thank you for any information to this.

     

    Bo

    Edited by fotoscubo714
  11. I'm a new visitor and need some guidance.

     

    I'm a true amateur photographer with better equipment that I deserve, and in some cases, than I even know how to use.

     

    The only thing I'm probably less skilled at is SCUBA diving. I just got my open water certification last month (November) and have a whopping 6 dives to date. My first two training dives were in Grand Cayman as part of a Royal Caribbean cruise. My next two in Bermuda on another cruise. And the last two in Millbrook quarry in Virginia to complete my open water certification.

     

    Next cruise is in February to G.C again, and also Belize, Cozumel, and Costa Maya. Hoping to do two dive days.

     

    And I need help!!!

     

    My two main cameras are the Canon 5D Mk 1, and most recently (as of yesterday) the 7D. I've been looking at the Ikelite housing (for no other reason than that's the first one I heard of). I was originally going to get the 5DMk II, but none of my lenses will fit any of the lens housings. Plus was thinking that the savings in the step-down to the 7D would pay for the housing :D . Anyway, Ikelite supposedly has a lens port for the 17-85 lens, but the lens is being phased out in favor of the 15-85, which I'm thinking of getting. Does anybody know if there is even a lens port for the 15-85, or if there will be soon.

     

    Also is Ikelite even the way I should go. Between all my new diving and photo equipment, I've pretty much blown my budget for the next two (or five) years, but it seems like there is no turning back now.

     

    Any ideas?

    Edited by ajgag
  12. Unfortunately doesn't seem to work. Housing itself is fairly tight and the through-case attachment for the focus light penetrates right there adding another couple millimeters. Flash didn't seem to be triggering this far closed.

     

    eric

     

    post-2405-1260687926.jpg

     

    Can anybody here with a new 7D Ikelite housing report back if the housing allows enough space above the flash, to allow it to open just enough for it to be triggered (this would be without the Ikelite TTL hotshoe connector). I'm curious if an optical modification is possible with the current housing. Thank you for any information to this.

     

    Bo

  13. I'm a new visitor and need some guidance.

     

    The only thing I'm probably less skilled at is SCUBA diving. I just got my open water certification last month (November) and have a whopping 6 dives to date. My first two training dives were in Grand Cayman as part of a Royal Caribbean cruise. My next two in Bermuda on another cruise. And the last two in Millbrook quarry in Virginia to complete my open water certification.

     

    Next cruise is in February to G.C again, and also Belize, Cozumel, and Costa Maya. Hoping to do two dive days.

     

    And I need help!!!

     

    Any ideas?

     

    I think for your skill level you may want to hold off diving a DSLR. You need to have really good buoyancy control (to avoid hurting the reefs and your buddies) and have diving down quite a bit more before you task load yourself with a camera. And I say that as a dealer.

     

    If you really want to get a camera I would stick to something simple like a P&S, maybe the new s90 in an Ike case that can be put into a BC pocket.

     

    Jack

  14. I think for your skill level you may want to hold off diving a DSLR. You need to have really good buoyancy control (to avoid hurting the reefs and your buddies) and have diving down quite a bit more before you task load yourself with a camera. And I say that as a dealer.

     

    If you really want to get a camera I would stick to something simple like a P&S, maybe the new s90 in an Ike case that can be put into a BC pocket.

     

    Jack

     

    Thanks for the input, but I already have the 7D, so getting the housing is a foregone conclusion. Its just the make of the housing and the particular lens I need to determine. As for my dive skills, trust me, nobody is more concerned about them than I. I've already got some pool work scheduled for the 3rd of January, and was hoping to get some practice with the rig in at that time.

  15. Unfortunately doesn't seem to work. Housing itself is fairly tight and the through-case attachment for the focus light penetrates right there adding another couple millimeters. Flash didn't seem to be triggering this far closed.

     

    eric

     

    post-2405-1260687926.jpg

     

    Yup, just confirmed the same thing (funny, also took nearly the same pictures of it). Also note that when this occurs (the flash going partially up), the camera is no longer usable due to an error message. It also attempts to pop it up three times before giving it up and generating the error message.

  16. Hi Jack,

     

    I've had a chance to visit your web page. Some very good and useful info there.

     

    I've bookmarked it, so I will probably visit it often.

  17. Mine seemed to be useable, but didn't trigger the flash. I opened it all the way before putting it in the housing and VERY carefully put it partway down while sliding it in. In the end since the flash doesn't trigger, rather academic.

     

    eric

     

     

    Yup, just confirmed the same thing (funny, also took nearly the same pictures of it). Also note that when this occurs (the flash going partially up), the camera is no longer usable due to an error message. It also attempts to pop it up three times before giving it up and generating the error message.
  18. Unfortunately doesn't seem to work. Housing itself is fairly tight and the through-case attachment for the focus light penetrates right there adding another couple millimeters. Flash didn't seem to be triggering this far closed.

     

    eric

     

    Thank you Eric and Ray for trying this out and reporting with a picture.

     

    It's too bad, but I really wanted to have all of the 7D features available in a housing if I go with a commercial system. For a cropped camera, the 7D is revolutionary in features and it be a shame to not be able to use them underwater.

     

    Bo

  19. I think for your skill level you may want to hold off diving a DSLR. You need to have really good buoyancy control (to avoid hurting the reefs and your buddies) and have diving down quite a bit more before you task load yourself with a camera. And I say that as a dealer.

     

    If you really want to get a camera I would stick to something simple like a P&S, maybe the new s90 in an Ike case that can be put into a BC pocket.

     

    Jack

     

    I would like to second this comment. Right now, at your experience level, you should just worry about your diving skills and safe enjoyment of the new environment. Why overload on your capabilities when you are risking dangerous and potential lethal situations.

     

    Situations you have not experienced yet and need to (like strong currents, down drafts, etc.). This environment can be a lot of fun and full of amazement, but also very unforgiving to those not properly prepared. Diving needs to be fun and you would want to do it for a long time.

     

    Just having great camera gear to use should not supersede the common sense for safety and enjoyment. Shooting a SLR underwater requires your safe diving skills to be automatic and fast when things go wrong. Don't push your luck by overloading your task load on a dive.

     

    There have been plenty of times where I have left expensive photo systems on the boat and just made an enjoyable and memorable dive in challenging ocean conditions and lived to talk about it.

     

    Just my 2 cents,

     

    Bo

    Edited by fotoscubo714
  20. I would like to second this comment. Right now, at your experience level, you should just worry about your diving skills and safe enjoyment of the new environment. Why overload on your capabilities when you are risking dangerous and potential lethal situations.

     

    Situations you have not experienced yet and need to (like strong currents, down drafts, etc.). This environment can be a lot of fun and full of amazement, but also very unforgiving to those not properly prepared. Diving needs to be fun and you would want to do it for a long time.

     

    Just having great camera gear to use should not supersede the common sense for safety and enjoyment. Shooting a SLR underwater requires your safe diving skills to be automatic and fast when things go wrong. Don't push your luck by overloading your task load on a dive.

     

    There have been plenty of times where I have left expensive photo systems on the boat and just made an enjoyable and memorable dive in challenging ocean conditions and lived to talk about it.

     

    Just my 2 cents,

     

    Bo

     

    Thanks again for the comments. And again, no one is more concerned about my diving skills and my safety than I (though my dive instructor comes in a close second). And I'm smart enough to know my own abilities and stay within my own limits. That includes knowing when to leave the camera on the boat (or on shore) or even to put the camera aside and worry about the diving. As far as a Point and Shoot, I already have one that I've used many times for snorkeling, and on my two wreck dives in Bermuda.

     

    So back to my original question, does anybody have any suggestions or info about lenses and lens ports for an Ikelite housing with a Canon 7D camera?

    Edited by ajgag
Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.