I have my D2X/Subal setup for a little over 4 years now and really for no good reason, I am thinking that it might be time to start looking around.
I suppose if I really have to find reason for upgrade, it could be
a) video mode
b) better/faster autofocus system (D2X is much much better than my old D70 but with 105VR in low light condition, it still could use some more help especially when focus light is not an option).
c) going fullframe ? I am not convince of that yet. For macro, forget about all the technicality of DX format size vs fullframe size, 105VR on FF would be almost like shooting with 60mm on
DX format which is not desirable for me. However, the new Nikon 2X teleconverter make 105VR more interesting with FF, I think. On land 14-24mm looks like a lot of fun but I have not seen too
many example of underwater example and 17-35mm at about F8 FF is not exactly beating up the 12-24mm at the same F stop on DX format. The only real advantage I could see is the narrower
depth of field. I found it is quite difficult to get anything below F5 or 5.6, ISO100 with dual strobe when fastest shutterspeed is 1/250s with macro picture.
Anyhow, Canon 7D looks interesting but I am not ready to abandon Nikon yet. I would prefer a smaller body rather than pro body like D3X as I hate to carry big camera with me on land.
I would seriously think about D3S if not for the size. D700 would be perfect if it does video and I am not convince that D300s will be worthwhile investment as I would need new housing
and ports as well. My ideal camera would be a D700X with higher mp and video mode but with the release of D3S, I assume Nikon will not release anything with higher MP as well as video
in a smaller package anytime soon.
hmmmm...look like I might have to stick with D2X for awhile longer unless somebody can convince me that D300s might be a worthwhile upgrade.
