You are allowed to call me an SF geek (I have been for years), as well as a movie geek, but I admit to having enjoyed "Avatar" for much the same reason as I enjoyed "Finding Nemo": the latter movie included the backscatter and haze that we love, and James Cameron seems to have created his alien world of "Pandora", which is the best thing in the new movie, by transplanting marine animals (spiral fanworms, medusae, coral fluorescence and colonial organisms are obvious) into his (non)-"terrestrial" forest, as well as the boulders that you see suspended beneath tidal shore ice into floating mountains (that the elderly will recognise from Roger Dean's artwork on album covers in the '70s)...
... so, is "Avatar" better or worse than Werner Herzog's curiosity "The Wild Blue Yonder", which also raided the underwater world for alien imagery?
Can you find any other movies influenced by the underwater world ("The Deep", "Jaws" etc are too easy, and don't count)?
Tim
![]()


