Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Upgrade from nikon d300 to canon 5d markII

Started by sharky1961 ·

  • 55Posts
  • 55Replies

Read-only discussion

Upgrade from nikon d300 to canon 5d markII

55 posts
  1. His post is irrelevant. For example, I am not in the EU marketplace. Secondly I have a vast collection of Nikon gear, a couple doz cameras and a few dozen lenses. Various microscope configurations. Seven UW housings Nikon-related housings (includes Kodak dSLRs). I have owned a few Canon FD bodies as well but no more. I was not convinced to go Canon at the start of my digital voyage and remain unconvinced. Drew's arguments are like water off a duck's back.

     

     

    How is the original poster's post irrelevant? Get over your devotion to Nikon and try to give Rob an unbiased opinion. If you were him and wanted to shoot quality video and could buy a great camera at the half the price what would do if you were in his shoes?

     

    Mike

  2. How is the original poster's post irrelevant? Get over your devotion to Nikon and try to give Rob an unbiased opinion. If you were him and wanted to shoot quality video and could buy a great camera at the half the price what would do if you were in his shoes?

     

    Mike

     

     

    Read the rest of the post as well my previous posts. Furthermore I am certainly NOT in Rob's nor Drew's shoes!

     

    An opinion by definition is biased. He has a D300 which is essentially Nikon's replacement for the D2X series, upgraded sensor as well as AF but a battery downgrade (as used UW). The "old" technology works rather well - see examples on my Flickr page. Most of my reject shots are due to water conditions rather than equipment. How has the D300 let Rob down?

     

    I see really little justification for him switching unless he had a present video NEED. For example, presently making money with video. I expect the current video offerings to become obsolete relatively quick.

     

    The half price argument is rather weak as well. There are half price sales going on all the time. Does one go out and spend all ones money in response to each one of these. Furthermore was there a housing and all associated parts also a part of this half price deal?

    Edited by Tom_Kline
  3. Rob

    I hope you've gleaned the right information from all these opinions. If you do want higher resolution (and please do a lot more research about ISO noise and pixel size and do not go by what has been written here, as well as getting a file and cropping and comparing it to your D300) and 1080 video, plus with the research you have done with the resale value of your lenses (I'd actually keep a few if you can afford it, you never know when you may go back to Nikon), I think you won't regret any decision you make if you want a camera now. This is especially if you feel the AF is good enough for you. I can say I wish the 5D2 AF was faster, but the other features make up for it. See if that is your criteria.

     

    Jeff

    Since we've brought up what to me is a subject when most people misunderstand pixel size and signal noise, I'll just say that physics proves that higher pixel density does not necessarily increase noise. I don't know your processing in your tests but I suggest you research Eric Fossum, Emil Martinec and I think Daniel Browning who I remember wrote a blog with testing procedures for repeatable tests which support the physics, given certain procedures. If you wish to continue this discussion, we should start a new topic as we've hijacked Rob's thread long enough.

    Edited by Drew
  4. Hi,

     

    I am thinking of switching camps. Nikon takes too long coming up with a d700x/d800. So I was thinking to make the jump to the Canon 5d mark II.

    Would it make sense??

    less noise with 5d mark II compared to Nikon d300

    more pixels 21 megapixels ( more detail) compared to 12 megapixels

    bigger viewfinder

    price is now about 1800,- Euro for the canon, the Nikon will for sure be between 3000,- and 4000,- Euro

    1080 video with the Canon

    Disadvantage, no Tokina 10-17mm FE for the canon

    are there more advantages??

     

     

     

    Rob

    Keep in mind above all else that the 5D

    MarkII has the largest sensor in the 35mm market bigger sensor means better photos,granted there is not a TOKINA 10-17 but another whole arsenal of incredible lenses prime and zoom as well as stellar video capabilities which allow you to express a whole other side of your creative visions in 1080 resolution soon to be firmware updated to 24p I Have one I want a second and third one and couldn't be happier TRUST ME you will never look back!!!!!! Happy diving

  5. One thing that has not been discussed much is about lense lineup of both camps.

    How would one compare macro lenses, Nikon 105VR vs Canon 100mm macro? Is Nikon's nano coating any better than Canon's offering?

    I am not familiar with line up of lenses for Canon for underwater use but it seems that with Nikon, you have a few more options, 14-24mm for FF for example.

    I assume Canon 17-40mm vs Nikon 17-35mm is pretty similar. So, what would one give up if switching from Nikon to Canon from lenses perspective and what would

    one gain by switching to Canon?

  6. Hi,

     

    I don't think there will be much difference between Canon and Nikon Glass.

    My set up for Nikon FF would be 16mm FE, 17-35 mm, 60mm AFS, 105 mm VR, 70-180 mm and perhaps Sigma 150mm

    Canon 15mm FE, 16-35mm, 50 mm macro, 100 mm L USM, Sigma 150 mm

     

     

    Rob

     

     

    ps I haven't made a discission yet. I want to test the 5d autofocus under water first. I want to thank all people that made comments to this thread

  7. I'd skip the Canon 50mm and go for the Sigma 50 macro. No need for the life size converter!

    Nikon does have the 14-24 which I really like but I got a Zeiss instead just to challenge my eyesight! The Canon WA primes are awesome, especially for video.

  8. I'd skip the Canon 50mm and go for the Sigma 50 macro. No need for the life size converter!

    Nikon does have the 14-24 which I really like but I got a Zeiss instead just to challenge my eyesight! The Canon WA primes are awesome, especially for video.

     

    your OLD eyesight you mean :)

  9. How would one compare macro lenses, Nikon 105VR vs Canon 100mm macro? Is Nikon's nano coating any better than Canon's offering?

     

    The new Canon 100 is much like the Nikon 105VR in that it has a fixed barrel length, which is good for UWP. It does not seem to have Canon's version of nano coating but I believe their new 14, which may be a better lens to compare to the nikon14-24, does.

     

    Each system has pros and cons! They may become even more challenging to compare in the next couple of months. The main thing at the present is that Canon has 1080 video.

     

    In my book this is a rather poor criterion to switch systems today from N to C UNLESS one was a video specialist. In this case one would be changing cameras if not systems on a frequent basis. A stills shooter can stick with one system for years and benefit by accumulating an extensive optical arsenal. ;)

  10. I think that the Nikon AF-105-VR outperforms any other lens in one respect, fast autofocus.

     

    In fact, users of the older Nikon 105's complain that to focuses TOO fast and the result is that the lens "hunts". In my case I started with the newer model and soon learned to control the "hunting"

     

    Generally I shoot with a single focus point which I place on the desired focus point, usually the eye. On a moving subject I want instant focus and shutter. This is not just those skittish little critters. I try to catch a critter in the exact pose I want and I could never manual focus fast enough to capture the exact pose.

     

    This is why I continue with a cropped sensor for macro. I don't think a 150MM on a FF camera, even a much better camera, would yeild the same results.

  11. Loftus,

     

    I tried sending You a PM but your mailbox is full

     

     

    Rob

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.