Looking to get my first DSLR/housing. Of course there is a price difference between the two both camera and housings, but if you were looking for your first setup... D90 or D300s and why? I have heard and read that the D90 IQ is pretty much on par with the 300 but that the 300 has a better sensor and faster AF...? Worth the price difference?
- 22Posts
- 22Replies
Read-only discussion
D90 or D300s?
-
-
well, i have the D90 and am more than happy with it. It has a very small footprint and i prefer a smaller camera.
The 300 series has certain advantages such as a more robust build as its more of a "semi pro" body.
Not sure about the AF but as the 300s is somewhat newer i would imagine the focus is faster, a faster focus can certainly help UW but i haven't found the 90 AF to be slow whatsoever, but that is compared to my D70 which seems really slow in comparison to the 90..
-
Looking to get my first DSLR/housing. Of course there is a price difference between the two both camera and housings, but if you were looking for your first setup... D90 or D300s and why? I have heard and read that the D90 IQ is pretty much on par with the 300 but that the 300 has a better sensor and faster AF...? Worth the price difference?
Hi, I have a D90 in an Aquatica housing and I'm really happy with it. I also considered the then, D300 when I was making my mind up.
I based my decision solely on what the camera would be used for and decided I would use the camera 95% of the time in the housing underwater. If you don't intend to knock it around topside, the build quality isn't an issue. The housing will look after it.
The focusing speed difference if it exists will be hard to see in use. Personally I'm not sure you'll see the extra money for D300s outfit in your shots.
In the last 25 years I've owned a wide spectrum of Nikon Pro/Semi pro cameras. Some for work, others for everyday use. Which ever choice you make, it will be a good one, I don't think you will be disappointed with either of those two cameras.
Sorry if I sound like a Nik commercial.
Hope this helps,
Andy.
-
I'm another happy D90 user. It's my first DSLR rig and I couldn't be happier with it.
I'm sure it would more than meet your present/near future requirements and provide you with a base to build a fine collection
of lens to move forward with(Provided you stay with a DX format). Also the difference between the two can be put toward the
many components required which include lens.
Cheers,
Jim.
-
Thanks for the input.
I do like the idea of a smaller footprint camera/housing. I think for everyday use the D90 will be more than enough. This will be my first DSLR coming from film so should suit me well.
Going with the Nauticam housing and already have the new 85mm micro and Tokina 11-16. Looking forward to getting the setup and trying it out!
If anyone has any general suggestions/tips with the camera...
-
I also recently bought the D90. I just didn't see enough difference to justify paying twice as much for the 300s. Im happy with the focus speed so far

-
Yep I am another one who decided on the D90 over the 300 and beleive me if and I do mean if it ever gets wet it wont hurt as much!.
From all the images I have seen that have been taken with this system I dont think you can go wrong. Enjoy the shooting and we look forwoard to seeing the results.
-
Cameras have become so good that it is getting harder to spot the difference. I am about to set off to Raja Ampat from the UK and have the choice of two old D200 or D700 full-frame cameras. I am taking the D200 cameras because I can use the 10-17 and the housing is a bit smaller. I don't feel that my pictures will bew less good because I'm using such old kit. Mauricio Handler takes better pictures than me despite using a D2x (how antique!) and I bet Mike Veitch does the same with his D90 over my D700.
-
I am the happy owner of a D90 with Aquatica housing.
This is my very fist DSLR, and I am very pleased of what I get.
You can find some D90 shots here:
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/bigeyebubblefish
Damien
-
Are you shooting in RAW?
Regards
-
Are you shooting in RAW?
Regards
Both, RAW+JPEG.
I am trying to get the best result straight our of captor as I participated to an UW contest this year, and retouching is not allowed.
It has been a very interesting exercise.
RAW is useful if you want to change color calibration or white balance.
Damien
-
Oh, I'm going to be a bit of a contrarian. I had a D80 and wanted a more significant upgrade. Bought a used D300, but then they lowered the price of the D300s and also added a rebate when bought with the 70-300 or 18-200. So it actually became fairly affordable.
I like the features and layout, much heavier, larger camera for sure. I'll probably keep my d80 for those times I want a smaller footprint.
I have a Nauticam prototype D300 and will trade it in for a D300s after I get back from the Socorros.
Jack
-
Another vote for the D90. This is my first SLR and I really love it. I also went through the process of researching what was available (defined as torture) and in the end decided on the D90 in an Aquatica housing. Have to say kudos to Fred at Backscatter for helping me out with the housing, ports, etc. setup. I got even more lost when it came to that part of the equation.
I got my setup in August and took it to the Keys at the first of Sept. LOVE this camera and what it can do for my needs. The smaller foot print is great. I watched a lady with a larger footprint camera along with a super dome on the boat and she was having a lot of difficulty manuvering everything around. Made me thankful for my decision.
The sensor is the same as the one in the D300 if I remember right. So why pay more? Also, keep in mind that the housing and other "stuff" that goes with the more expensive camera also goes up in cost. Which was a big factor for me personally.
After all was said and done, I am in LOVE with my camera and cannot beleive the difference in picture quality with this one (as compared to my point and shoot setup
This is the first time I have attempted to attach photos. Hope they come through. I took these on my first trip out with this setup - these are from Key Largo. The first shot is on the Benwood and taken with the Tokina 10-17 on 13mm. The other two are with the Nikon 60mm macro.


). DiverPam
-
So the Nauticam D90 is in the mail! Looking forward to getting it in the water next week.
I have the ports for the Nikon 85mm micro G on the way as well and will focus on that lens before trying the Tokina 11-16 or picking up a 10-17.
Back to Thailand in Feb. and hoping to get a bit of diving in there with the new setup.
-
So the Nauticam D90 is in the mail! Looking forward to getting it in the water next week.
I have the ports for the Nikon 85mm micro G on the way as well and will focus on that lens before trying the Tokina 11-16 or picking up a 10-17.
Back to Thailand in Feb. and hoping to get a bit of diving in there with the new setup.
Congratulations on taking the leap!
The Nauticam D90 certainly looks the goods. Which strobes are you going with?I can highly recommend the Inon Z240 strobes and have found the sTTL faultless when shooting macro with the 60mm AF-S in the Nexus housing.
Cheers,
Jim.
-
Yup. I have 2x Z240's that I love. Had been using them on a G10 setup, but only used in Manual. Looking forward to trying out the sTTL function.
Congratulations on taking the leap!
The Nauticam D90 certainly looks the goods. Which strobes are you going with?I can highly recommend the Inon Z240 strobes and have found the sTTL faultless when shooting macro with the 60mm AF-S in the Nexus housing.
Cheers,
Jim.
-
Congratulations on taking the leap!
The Nauticam D90 certainly looks the goods. Which strobes are you going with?I can highly recommend the Inon Z240 strobes and have found the sTTL faultless when shooting macro with the 60mm AF-S in the Nexus housing.
Just got the 60 AFS for my D90, do you find a spotting light useful for daytime diving?
I was pool testing in a darkened pool area and found the focus to be slower than expected.
-
Just got the 60 AFS for my D90, do you find a spotting light useful for daytime diving?
I was pool testing in a darkened pool area and found the focus to be slower than expected.
Dave I've only just got around to getting a Focus Light and collecting in a few hours. I have noticed it struggles a bit when
in low light or not enough contrast, but having said that I've come from a compact and it's a giant leap from that.
Cheers,
Jim.
-
Has anyone feedback on the Nauticam housings, yet?
I actually think that the housing is even more important than the body, once a certain threshold in noise, resolution and AF speed has been passed.
Tim

-
I will let you know on Sunday. D90 Housing should be here tomorrow and I will be diving with it on Saturday.
Everything I have seen and read so far looks good though!