Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon Vs. Nikon

Started by pembrokephtoto ·

  • 30Posts
  • 30Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon Vs. Nikon

30 posts
  1. Where oh where is our beloved sage, John Bantin to clear up this mess? LOL.......

     

    Survey says: Neither.......

     

    Canon FD to Canon EOS in late 90s.....

     

    Then I had several Nikon film SLRS migrating to the digital Nikon D100 in 2002.

     

    Then back to Canon EOS in 2003. In between systems now (Canon7D? or go backwards to a lowly Rebel XSi or ???)

     

    Have played with very good Nikon D80, D90, D200 and D300 cameras also and could be happy with them too.

     

    Canon menus make a bit more sense to me but that is just likely longer usage......

     

    I never thought being able to use "old" lenses was a good thing...EOS AF speed was so superior from the start.

     

    Nikon and Canon now are now so close it's difficult to debate IMHO.

     

    To each his own.....

     

    dhaas

    Edited by dhaas
  2. I think the Nikkor AF-105-VR lens is the best general purpose cropped sensor macro lens out there because of its ultra-fast autofocus. Question? Am I correct or is there a comparible Canon lens? Or wait! Is the new 85mm Nikkor (which I don't have) is better?

     

    I think for bird shots, which I actually dabble in, Canon VR lenses are better. Am I correct? I think that for cropped sensor wide angle the Tonika 10/17 is the best general purpose lense and it works on both.

     

    Now Olympus...................

     

    Regards,

    Tom

    (Who is basically bored because he hasn't gotten wet since August and won't till March)

  3. Im just getting into underwater photography and im ready to get my first SLR. I live in South Florida and make many many trips to the Bahamas and i was wondering which camera company is better for reef and tropical fish and coral. I free dive and dont go lower than 20 feet.

     

     

     

    thanks ahead of time for comments and answers

     

    For your needs, get a compact, a simple one, the simplest one.

    Canon makes good ones, Oly, Sea&Sea, etc...

    Even being a die-hard Nikonian that's my opinion.

     

    PS: If I can give you an advice (which I think I am not be best to give it out...) stay away from the Nikon x Canon war on the DSLR realm. Or if you want to go in it, no choice to stay out, buy a Nikon:o)

  4. I never thought being able to use "old" lenses was a good thing...EOS AF speed was so superior from the start.

     

    Do you have the Canon 1200mm? I for one cannot afford one but I was able to afford a used 1200mm ED Nikkor. It is MF so no concerns about AF speed, VR etc. I have the opportunity to take lots of wildlife from the waters edge and make use of MF 1200, 800, and 400. The 400/2.8 is my 'wide angle' ROTFL!

    post-3540-1262876613.jpg

    post-3540-1262876626.jpg

    post-3540-1262876640.jpg

  5. I think the Nikkor AF-105-VR lens is the best general purpose cropped sensor macro lens out there because of its ultra-fast autofocus. Question? Am I correct or is there a comparible Canon lens?

     

     

    The new Canon 100 is similar and has a fixed barrel length as well.

  6. We should add the fight over Mac vs. PC to the mix... :D

     

    I know folks that went from Canon to Nikon because they simply liked the placement of the controls better and vice versa (myself belonging into the latter group).

     

    Neither Canon nor Nikon have prevented me from shooting some rather horrible photos.

  7. "The new Canon 100 is similar and has a fixed barrel length as well."

     

    So, once again everything is equal. Who woudda guessed?

  8. You will never get a good photo unless you, first shoot a Nikon. Second process it with a Mac. Lastly drive to the beach in a Ford pickup.

     

    Otherwise you might as well give up. Especially if you drive a chevy, or egads, a "crossover".

  9. You will never get a good photo unless you, first shoot a Nikon. Second process it with a Mac. Lastly drive to the beach in a Ford pickup.

     

    Otherwise you might as well give up. Especially if you drive a chevy, or egads, a "crossover".

    :D

    OMG, now it's the Chevy vs. Ford pick-um-up war! Let's go back to fantasying about JA and AJ. I vote for JA!

    I have used both systems. Both have there pluses and minuses.

    Bob

  10. You will never get a good photo unless you, first shoot a Nikon. Second process it with a Mac. Lastly drive to the beach in a Ford pickup.

     

     

    I am glad I fit this profile! :D Some may recognize the Ford taillight in the pic showing a small part of my F150 above!

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.