Hi Chris,
I fully understand and respect your decision. The sad fact is that seeing as the underlying tone of the site is shark conservation there are a lot of folks out there who want to see us trip over. We do have new members join every day, and have had folks signing up every day since launching back in October, many of them coming from this site too. Its down to your personal choice. Membership is hovering now around 610 members.
I think it is par for the course these days, this site included, insofar that you have to sign up for membership before you can take an active role in the Forums etc. Why would I look to give a couple of main prizes away, each a week of shark diving, one in Mexico and another in Fiji, to folks who intend to have zero input to the site? The site itself is a social network so requires membership.
We started out with an open membership policy but as any site owner will tell you, the porn, the swearing and the general trolling that went on were ludicrous, it almost crippled the site before it even got off the ground. I have now taken security measures to avoid that from happening again and in doing so protecting the privacy of our members.
This unfortunately transpires in some cases, such as this, that we may potentially be losing additional future members. This is something, for the sake of a harmonious environment, I am willing to accept.
Regards,
Mark.