Hello All,
Chris Parsons here... I am now working as the main North/South American/Caribbean point of contact for Nauticam, via Nauticam USA. I already know a lot of you guys, and I've been a Wetpixel subscriber, mostly lurker, for something like 6 years. I used to shoot a D100 in a Nexus housing, and until recently, a 5D in a Subal. I'm now waiting for my own Nauticam 7D. Hope this doesn't sound too much like a sales pitch post, but I saw this thread and wanted to just chime in with my $0.02 about some of the reasons I've been so impressed with these new housings.
Clearly there is some amount of risk in going with a new housing manufacturer like this. This is something we, the Nauticam Team, are acutely aware of and are taking steps every day to mitigate. I've been very impressed with the feedback cycle to the designers that we have. Where we've found problems in the pre-production units, they have done a great job in incorporating changes. I have every reason to think this will continue... that we will continue to refine the design while standing behind our early adopters.
Nauticam is using proven materials, finishes, and design concepts where appropriate, and innovating to improve the user experience. The locking port mechanism is a very good example of this type of innovation... it firmly locks the port in place with no twisting so the o-ring cannot extrude.
Edward Lai's 20 + years as a precision mold maker provide an experience base that enables use of manufacturing processes that are just not easily available to the other manufacturers. Nauticam is not a small company with limited resources. I'm not trying to knock any other manufacturer here... just trying to say that Nauticam is here to stay, and we have a serious interest in standing behind these products.
Yes, we have lots of work to do. We have most of the ports, extensions, focus/zoom rings, accessories, spare parts, etc, that we need already in production, but we want to expand the ranges of lenses we support, and support some of the more esoteric combinations. Right now we are working on Canon ports, and I in particular have an interest in moving that along so we'll be ready for the 7D and the Canon lenses.
I'm sure there will be issues that pop up, as there are with all brands. The true test is how we respond to them. My job is to be the point person for Nauticam in the western hemisphere.. and I, along with the whole Nauticam team, am prepared to set a new standard. Please feel free to contact me either here on Wetpixel, or by email, and shoot me whatever questions you might have.
Thanks,
Chris