... certainly there's nothing silly about your images (except for the insanity of trying to use a camera in salty water).
More seriously: does the modern lens offer anything if the VR function is turned off? I never used the old 105mm, so I learned with the new lens, with VR on. I can well understand disabling AF, but I'm not sure what is gained by turning off the VR.
Tim
The only issue I have heard with the VR ON is that when shooting as an actual macro lens (and I think the manual for the lens states this as well) is that the VR can shift your focus ever so slightly. But seeing how the depth of field in the fstop range most shoot this lens underwater is already TINY that slight shift can mean an out of focus photo...
I leave it OFF shooting macro underwater, ON above shooting portraits.
Also, I know of a fair amount of people using their 105 port with a 60 with no issues - certainly leaves room for converters and whatnot!
The only issue I have heard with the VR ON is that when shooting as an actual macro lens (and I think the manual for the lens states this as well) is that the VR can shift your focus ever so slightly.
I've not noticed this: eyes etc stay sharp, tho' maybe the observation that I'm also using AF and moving the AF target area around is the explanation for that. I can see that maybe an interaction between AF and VR means that they should either both be on, or both off.
I use the same port, with a 40mm extension for the 105mm; that gives me enough space for a close-up lens, as well.
Tim
jus wondering whether can i change my 18-105vr plastic mount to steel mount? (without drop my camera) keep hanging my camera on my neck or shoulder and walk around (travel) will cause my lens plastic mount to break?? due i feel tat my kit lens provided a sensible load tat may break the plastic mount...it is quite heavy.
Hope D90 users here provide a good review to help me on this issue.
This lens didn’t even grab my attention at first. While I was told about it long before it’s announcement, I’m perfectly happy with the 70-180 & 60mc for my limited macro needs. It wasn’t until my good friend/mentor Joe McNally showed up with one at our DLWS event that he had purchased that my interest was peaked. He was kind enough to not only share the lens with me, but his thoughts on the lens (he loves it) and applying it. The man is a genius (and not just about lighting!) I got the 105VR and I just LOVE it for portraits (you can count the hairs)! Yeah, it does that macro thing but the working distance of the 105mm at marco has never fit my style. It’s everything else this lens can do that I love shooting it. Its barrel diameter fits my hand just right, especially when I have gloves on. It’s one FINE lens (darn sexy too!), come to a DLWS event… we’ll let you get hooked!
... I got the 105VR and I just LOVE it for portraits (you can count the hairs)! Yeah, it does that macro thing but the working distance of the 105mm at marco has never fit my style. It’s everything else this lens can do that I love shooting it. Its barrel diameter fits my hand just right, especially when I have gloves on...
Well, yes, but this is about underwater use...
I do have one unspecific gripe: I use a 45-degree finder, and aiming such a tight lens takes a lot of practice if I'm tempted not to shoot macro. Like a lot of lenses, surface use is quite a different experience to underwater use...