Bo,
What does optical give over sync cords?
Olly
Hi Olly,
Wired sync cords are just sooo old school
.
But listen to who is saying this. I'm old, OLD school shooter. I still prefer to shoot my modified Ikelites with the old, old manual EO connectors. From decades of use I just know my strobes power output and adjust their subject distance accordingly via the arms. I like shooting WA more than CU and never got the TTL to work more reliably than with my experience.
Over the decades I have a fortune in EO and Ikelite TTL cords. Each costing over $100.00-$200.00 each for special splitters etc.( and these were the prices back in 1970-80!) Over time many of the Ikelite cords have started to develop intermittent electrical shorts from cracks, breaks or leaks as well as some of the EO's (although most still work great after 40+ years of use). The reason why I love the EO connector system, is that I can take multiple systems on a trip and exchange my strobes underwater.
With me finally upgrading to the "new school" 7D I also want to go with the new optical method of strobe connection. From reading the forums here on Wetpixel I have "seen the light" to going optical. My reasons why:
1. Much cheaper (especially in bulk).
2. Allows connecting and disconnecting while underwater (just like my old EO).
3. Connector does not need metal connector pins that eventually corrode or break.
4. Easy low maintenance.
5. Easy to replace/repair by myself
6. Allows multiple flash exposure control from the camera as the controller.
7. E-TTL availability in CU/macro.
8. Slave strobes triggering and have output control from the camera via long (affordable) cables.
9. Much lighter in weight and easier to travel with.
10. Outer insulation material much more environment resistant than wired.
11. If insulation is damaged the optical cable will not short out and damage electronics.
12. No need for housing penetration by bulkheads that require careful attention or maintenance.
13. Broken cables easily spliced and repaired in the field without needing much skill or tools ( actually a variant of #5 above).
14. Cables much thinner and creating less drag in strong currents.
15. Makes you look thin (just testing if you are still reading...LOL)
16. Easier to make custom lengths of cable myself.
If anybody has knowledge of any other additional benefits for going optical, please add. If I'm incorrect in my list, let me know too, for I'm an old student open to learning in a new school.
Bo