Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Necker Nymph, the next step in liveaboard submarines

Started by Drew ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Necker Nymph, the next step in liveaboard submarines

6 posts
  1. First the Seahunter (then Argo) had the Deep See, an underwater sub which 2 passengers could go down to 475m/1500ft around the Cocos island area. Critics have said that it's not a real dive experience (but I personally loved not having to get into a wetsuit and shoot a hammerhead with a 70-200 lens dry!).

    Then Rinspeeds Squba Lotus gave James Bond fans a bit of a jolt but was impractical as it'd probably get stuck in the loose sand on the beach.

     

    Trust Richard Branson to market a new toy for his Necker Belle yacht, which is based around his Necker Island resort (a place I don't really get since it's really balinese houses rebuilt in the caribbean?). The new tourist submarine, the Necker Nymph allows 2 scuba divers to buzz around a coral reef (max bottom 30m/100ft) with a pilot for a couple of hours. The Hawkes Ocean design is technically capable of going down to 11000m/36000ft but I'm guessing all Atlanteans are extinct so it'll never see the bottom of the Marianna Trench with passengers.

     

    Still a cool toy to have.

    Edited by Drew
  2. Graham Hawkes is cool - he used to come give presentation about Deep Flight to the Naval Architecture program at Cal.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. The one thing I was never sure about with that design - they say it's "capable" of hitting these huge depths, which I assume is a trade-off between the "lift" achieved by speeding thru the water and crush-depth on the hull while maintaining a typical surface type pressure internally (but its a small tube cross-section so can probably go deeper than larger naval subs, hull can be much more single-bore design vs more seams, etc.

     

    So...how fast do you need to be going to hit that max depth, and what are you really seeing at that speed? As I understood the design they're using the foils for negative lift vs. carrying any real ballast, and maintaining internal pressure much as a traditional sub does, which means if you stop you start your ascent, right?

  4. Still a cool toy to have.

     

    That is why I put in adoption papers with Branson. Told him I am out of my terrible twos and teens and already housebroken. So far so good and my papers have not been rejected. Considering Trump had a restraining order against me fairly quickly when I put in my papers with him, I think I have a shot this time :good:

     

    Man I want to be him when I grow up...

  5. Man I want to be him when I grow up...

     

    I think a big part of what makes him "him" is that he hasn't grown up himself. And I mean that in a good way.

  6. I think a big part of what makes him "him" is that he hasn't grown up himself. And I mean that in a good way.

     

     

    Very good point. I like the guy, he knows how to enjoy what he has and also uses money for some good causes. More power to him....

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.