Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

What do you have clipped to your BCD? (or in pockets)

Started by Pfuller ·

  • 21Posts
  • 21Replies

Read-only discussion

What do you have clipped to your BCD? (or in pockets)

21 posts
  1. I'm putting together a harness and backplate system, and am trying to work out how many D-rings, attachment points, pockets etc i'm going to need.

     

    So i'm after ideas on what UW photographers generally take with them on a dive, and where they store things?

     

    I'm not necessarily talking about photography related gear, but photographers can generally require more accessories (e.g wet dioptres, snoots, diffusers etc).

     

    What's your setup?

  2. I think ive only got 2 things strapped to me. A very sturdy pair of emergency room scissors in my BCD pocket (instead of a knife), and a Reefnet Sensus Ultra. All photo gear must be attached to my housing or I wont take it. Fumbling with gear from pockets is a recipe for losing stuff.

  3. Keep it simple!

     

    What do you REALLY need? Maybe an SMB in your pocket depending on the type of diving? Somewhere you can clip a line to your camera if you REALLY need to (I sometimes do if on a big wall with a deep drop). Maybe a torch in an SMB pocket (but then you might have focussing lights on your housing/strobes).

     

    Two D-rings should be ample and I'd suggest most of the time they are decorative rather than practical.

     

    Snoots and wet diopters are attached to the housing.

  4. For warm water diving at recreational depths I only carry a reef hook, a SMB and compact reel and a tiny knife.

  5. GUE has a configuration that I think works very nice.

     

    http://gue.com/?q=en/Equipment/Config/index.html

     

    I usually carry a main torch in my left hand, or clipet to my right shoulder. In addition I have two backup torches attached to each side (they are very small and out of the way).

  6. A small knife that is zip tied to the inflator hose of my BC, a safety sausage and small mirror in a pocket, and attached to each D-ring of the loose ends of the shoulder straps is the female end of a plastic clip - the male ends are attached to the knuckles between the two arm segments of each strobe arm. By doing this I can attach the rig to myself with the port facing away from me to avoid scratching it - by using two clips it stops the housing rotating or spinning around.

  7. 1) Don't clip anything! It could snag...

    2) Pockets:

    a) small delayed surface marker buoy

    b) whistle

    c) compass

    d) folding snorkel

    3) Small torch on cable ties on the right shoulder strap, aimed across my chest

    4) Small knife on cable ties on the left shoulder strap

    5) (Breaking (1) above): small reel on a pistol clip, on a D-ring next to my cylinder, that I can reach with my left hand.

    6) Pistol clip on my camera, so that I can clip it to my harness at the surface.

     

    I set up my camera, and that's it for the dive: no wet lenses etc

     

    Tim

     

    :drink:

    Edited by tdpriest
  8. I have a pocket on belt to keep mirror, beacon, reel for smb, whistle and collapsible snorkel in (it also holds my long hose):

     

    pioneer_profile.jpg

    Edited by dbh
  9. got an smb in one pocket, reef hook in the front pocket, and a chemical marker in the other... thats it.

     

    Scuba Pro jacket BCD

  10. I have a DSS smb and 100ft finger spool on the bottom left of my bp. A small backup torch clipped on my right chest D ring. A coiled lanyard with a brass clip on my left D ring that attaches to my camera as needed.

  11. What's your setup?

     

    mine changes all the time, depending on the dive style (Open circuit or CCR), the dive objective/mission and expected/possible diving conditions.

     

    In general I follow these guidelines: 1. KISS; 2. Modular; 3. Self-reliant/Redundant; 4. Streamlined; 5. Light and compact. 6. Murphy's Law prepared.

     

    I like lots of available D-rings and clips or military "Molle-style" modular connection points to vary set up to best suit dive plan/mission.

  12. My Woody's diopter is usually on my port, but the string attached to it is also attached to my housing in case I don't want to use it. For tropical diving I have a small light clipped onto a chest d-ring and secured with a piece of inner tube. I also clip an SMB with small reel to my hip d-ring. My DSLR rig also has a large steel clip on it so I can clip it off in case I need both hands for getting in or out of the water, or during deco. Diffusers are always on my strobes. Local diving, I wear a drysuit so the SMB and spare mask go in a pocket, and I add a second light, secured like the first one. My powerful focus light is always attached to my housing and is used as my primary dive light on night dives or inside wrecks.

  13. Pony bottle. I dive solo 99% of the time. Other than that the things the government here says we have to have. Smb and snorkell in pocket, knife and whistle attached.

  14. Yep I echo the GUE set up.

    So 4 d rings 2 on chest one on left hip for spg and the 3 on the crotch strap for clipping a scooter to, though I often clip my camera off too it when required. Whilst this is a little untidy, as the camera dangles below you, it has the advantages of letting you keep an eye on your camera and not letting your rig bump into anything.

     

    2 x pockets on legs contain on all dives, smb and finger spool, back up mask and wet notes.( I am surprised by how few people use wet notes, I find them unbelievably useful and aside from letting you note things underwater, fish species etc also allow you to communicate on a whole other level).

     

    Photo wise I ll also cram snoots, reflectors, diffusers or anything else I happen to be experimenting into my pockets.

     

    This set up works for every style of diving I have tried from reef, cave to deep wreck, so it s pretty flexible.

     

    happy diving

    e

  15. pioneer_profile.jpg

     

    SEAL?

     

    :laugh:

     

    Tim

     

    :drink:

  16. Yep I echo the GUE set up.

    ... the camera dangles below you... I'll also cram snoots, reflectors, diffusers or anything else I happen to be experimenting into my pockets...

     

    :drink: Doesn't sound DIR to me, just GrUEsome! :laugh:

     

    Tim

     

    :)

  17. My 'lucky' toy shark

     

    Compact

     

    Clean pair of undies ( you never know)

     

    subscription to Good housekeeping

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  18. My 'lucky' toy shark

     

    Compact

     

    Clean pair of undies ( you never know)

     

    subscription to Good housekeeping

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

     

     

    No Beer? Figured that for sure :laugh::drink:

  19. No Beer? Figured that for sure :laugh::drink:

     

    For Dean SMB means San Miguel Beer..

  20. For Dean SMB means San Miguel Beer..

     

    That stuff gives me a massive headache ...

     

    No beer when diving I'm afraid , they just don't mix ... Straight after of course :drink:

     

    Dive safe (and sober)

     

    DeanB

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.