- 38Posts
- 38Replies
Read-only discussion
Nauticam D700
-
-
The European housing manufacturers had better take notice if they want to stay in business, is my overall impression having played with Nauticam at DEMA.
-
looks like a large port opening, very good for some of those bigger lenses
-
looks like a large port opening, very good for some of those bigger lenses
Or port adaptor for various housings...
I have the rig for a review - which I'll post on Wetpixel once my impressions are formulated (post diving).
Alex
-
I was a little disappointed to not see any subal port adaptors on the nauticam website. And their website needs a little work. For instance, on the port adapter page, those tiny images are 3 megabytes a piece. It's nice that you can view them fullscreen if you know how, but just make them clickable then and only show 10MB in images if someone wants to.
-
Alex I have to say with the side by side, it sure looks like Japanese manga vs Austrian sleek. That Nauticam controls really stick out vs the Subal. Will be interesting to see the how you like the big controls. That porthole looks like it can fit those Zeiss Compact Primes

Cor, I think that's fair to say for most every manufacturer who have a tendency to have more design issues with their website than their housings.

-
The large portholes on the nauticam are a design decision afaik. They are intentionally large so they can fit port adapters for other manufacturers while remaining flush with the housing. So you dont actually add a 'port extension' and increase the port distance.
-
Cor;
There are Subal Port adapters for 3rd & 4th generation ports available. Yes they need more photos, but there's probably moe parts shown than alot of sites. Ikelite doesn't have very good photos of it's ports either...They're still unpacking parts....

Jack
-
Ah, I checked here: http://www.nauticam.com/product-list-b.asp?id=5
Seems like it would be useful to add Subal to the list.
-
Just to say, I am going to resist posting my impressions until I have dived the housing and tried it in a range of diving conditions and spent more time with it. I am also going to let my buddies here dive it, to get a range of opinions on the ergonomics. Then after this trip I'll write a details review for Wetpixel. I think that this is better than saying too much now and then maybe changing my mind later!
There is no doubt that it is an impressive housing in terms of build quality and ergonomic solutions. Some areas need refinement, other solutions move the game on, being the best solution I have seen on any housing. When you look up how much (or should I say little) it costs compared to other brands its a marvel.
Alex
-
I was a little disappointed to not see any subal port adaptors on the nauticam website. And their website needs a little work. For instance, on the port adapter page, those tiny images are 3 megabytes a piece. It's nice that you can view them fullscreen if you know how, but just make them clickable then and only show 10MB in images if someone wants to.
Hi Cor,
Here is the housing with viewfinder, strobes etc - with the 60mm and 60mm port from Subal on. I have a Nauticam port too - but want to test the adaptors - as that is what many potential users will be considering.
Alex
-
Alex,
looks like a great set up, and putting the computer around the bouyancy foam... great touch. is it just where you have put it for now so u dont forget it, or do u dive like that, kinda heads up display style. Do many photographers do this?
Never thought of that but will give it a go.
Sorry for going a little off topic...
Olly
-
Alex,
looks like a great set up, and putting the computer around the bouyancy foam... great touch. is it just where you have put it for now so u dont forget it, or do u dive like that, kinda heads up display style. Do many photographers do this?
Never thought of that but will give it a go.
Sorry for going a little off topic...
Olly
I've been diving with the computer on the arm for a while - the foam is great for that, but this is the first time I have seen anyone else do it. It does work well.
-
I've been diving with the computer on the arm for a while - the foam is great for that, but this is the first time I have seen anyone else do it. It does work well.
Whoa, what a great idea! I dive with a console computer and one or two old hockey puck style ones in a pocket or clipped on the BC. I will mount one of the back-ups on a floatey arm next outing. Thanks.
Bob
-
Since I have had that computer I put it there. There are many pictures of me in circulation with it like that! For example in this article here!
It is not a Nauticam specific feature. Its a STiX feature!
Alex
-
We see lots of guests here with their dive computer mounted on a strobe arm. Japanese guests especially.
-
Mine lives on my strobe arm. I don't bother with floats, but it threads thru my ultra light arms no worries. Although this is more from lacking the effort to take it off and on every day than anythig else.
-
that reminds me, i need batteries for my computer
thanks -
To get back on topic. Two dives with the housing today. First with 60mm, second with 15mm FE and TC.
Did a TTL test of the optical TTL system on the morning dive. TTL produced consistent and accurate exposures across a wide range of apertures.
D700 + 60mm. Nauticam housing. 2x Inon Z240 strobes. All 1/250th @ ISO 200. Aperture indicated in photos. Strobes on TTL through out.
Alex
-
The system as you have it, would be very close to my choice. So it's very positive to see such good ttl results. Can't wait to see your review.