So I was not sure if this should go with the beginner or the lens topics, I guess a moderator could move it if they feel it's better somewhere else. Since I am a beginner I put it here.
I want to get into under water macro/micro (never sure of the difference of those two words.) I have a Nikon D-300 and have been shooting above water for a long time. I have looked around a lot and tried to find technical, but more importantly practical knowledge about the 3 macro lenses that nikkor has.
The 60mm the new 85mm VR and the 105mm VR
I found a lot of info but not as much practical knowledge that I was looking for. So I bought the 3 lenses and ran some tests of my own. Because I have a crop sensor these would differ for ff cameras.
Here are the items that i used to size compare
![]()
These are the numbers I came up with.
Closest distance from tip of lens to object that uses the widest available aperture setting: (picture is linked)
Closest focus distance from tip of lens to focal point on object. (lens only, no filters) (picture is linked)
Approximate distances from tip of lens to focal point in order to “fill the frame.” (attached photo to show my "filled frame")
For an item that is about the size of a nudibranch ~1.5” long
![]()
60mm – 5 ½” @ f3.3
85mm – 9” @ f4.0
105mm – 9 ½” @ f3.3
For an item the size of a small object ~2 1/2” long
![]()
60mm – 11” @ f3.0
85mm – 16.5” @ f3.8
105mm – 21” @ f3.0
For an item the size of a small fish ~ 8” long
![]()
60mm – 17” @ f3.0
85mm – 29” @ f3.8
105mm – 35” @ f3.0
Distance range from tip of lens to focal point with corresponding widest available f-stop. (Distance in inches) (if = infinity)
(sorry about the sloppy table)
Lens--------2.8-------3.0----------3.2---------3.3--------3.5----------3.8---------------4.0---------------4.2------------4.5----------4.8----------5.0
60mm------if-17----17-9--------9-5.5-------5.5-4------4-3.5---------3.5-2.75------2.75-2.25-----2.25-2.0-----2.0-1.8-----1.8-1.75-----n/a
85mm-------n/a-----n/a---------n/a---------n/a-----------if-30--------30-13----------13-8.5-----------8.5-7.5-------7.5-6.5-----6.5-6.25-----6.25-5.5
105mm-----if-90----90-21------21-13------13-11------11-8.75-----8.75-7.5------7.5-7------------7-6.5---------6.5-6.25----6.25-6-------n/a
From this info this is what I have deduced –
Arguing that the 85m is not a 2.8 lens is really irrelevant because the likelihood of someone using the 60mm or the 105mm, at a distance of 30" to 90” respectively, is not very likely underwater. In addition a depth of field that shallow would be rather useless. As for available light, the use of flashes would make up for any light needs. A functional f stop for filling the frame and getting a reasonable depth of field seems to be around 10-16 or even higher depending on the object.
Next, the 85mm and the 105mm have just about the same working distance for being as close as possible, for things like filling the frame with a nudibranch.
One advantage of the 60mm seems to reduce the column of water between the lens and the object.
Then the price –
60mm ~ $530
85mm ~ $500
105mm ~ $880
For price concern, the 85mm sure sounds like a good lens, the only downfall is that it’s new to the line up and I have read that not many underwater housings have made or perfected the gears or ports for this lens.
One other thing I noticed with the 85mm is that while on af it froze at closest focus range and would not seek on af until I manually spun the focus ring, this could be catastrophic if it happened underwater without gears. I tried to get it to repeat this problem but no such luck. (has anyone else run into this problem?)
With this info above, could people with extensive practical knowledge of this matter please chime in and give me their input on how this relates to underwater photography and help me in choosing the best suited lens.
-K