Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

tiny critter

Started by jugglematt ·

  • 38Posts
  • 38Replies

Read-only discussion

tiny critter

38 posts
  1. hi ho

    here is shot of a tiny critter i saw on an ascidian at jervis bay australia

     

    dx 3000

    macro mode

    cameras own flash

  2. sorry

    i ment to post this one

    i have croped both images a fair bit

    and played with contrast and brightness.

    im gonna try for a better shot next time .

    love the timy baby critter below

     

    comments apreciated

    matty

  3. Hi Matty

    thanks for this photo ! a bizarre-looking arthropod ... as a marine zoologist I am a bit puzzled ... the resolution is a bit low to see the details, looks like a pycnogonid = sea spider (some species have 5 legs on each side), but it could be also a crustacean larva or an long-legged isopod

    do you have more macro shots ?

    cheerio

    Art

  4. Heya Art,

     

    We get these critters alot on the colonial ascidians (as in Matt's pic) on the south coast of NSW (Australia). The proportion of body seemed all wrong for a pycnogonid. The ones we are used to spotting anyways :huh:

     

    Have been trolling through all my invertebrate texts (from a past life as a biologist) and I can't put my finger on what they are ... any suggestions on good references? There are long - legged Isopods?

     

    I have been picking the brains of the wet pixilians out there on super macro, so there might be some more detailed shots soon ... I think Matt's DX 3000 was at max to get these shot - but I'm sure he'll tell you all about it :)

     

    cheers

    Lndr

  5. I don't know if this helps, but on Little Cayman, BWI, a few months ago, I photographed a small critter (2.5 cm) on a sponge. I looked it up in the Humann Caribbean book, and it was identified as a Swimming Crinoid. I doubt this could be related to jugglematt's critter, but it was interesting and I had never seen one before.

     

    Swimming%20Crinoid.jpg

  6. I had a look at lunchtime and found these isopod shots. Now I've looked closely they seem to have a similar body shape.

     

    As taken ...

    i_jb2002_critters.jpg

     

    And cropped ...

    i_jb2002_critters_crop.jpg

     

    Taken with a Nikon F70 + Nikkor 60mm + Subal Housing + YS90 Duo

    Jervis Bay Oct 2002

     

    ... so do you think they're related ???

  7. hey art

    ill have a look later , when i get home and see if ive got a better shot , u can probally see how really small they are, so its a bit of a challange to get anything at all.

     

    hey jimbo

    love your critter. :huh:

    that small stuff can be fun .

    when its getting smaller then the eye can see its getting challenging.

     

    next time im down jervis bay im gonna spend a while and try and get a decent shot

    reguards

    matty

  8. As taken ...

  9. And cropped ...

  10. hey lndr

    now thats just showing off .(im jelous)

    how small can u go !

    id like to see one of thoes laying eggs .lol

    reguards

    matty

  11. hey art is this any better?

     

    lndr might have a clearer shot.

    these critters are at the limit of my little camera.

  12. here it is

  13. Hi folks

     

    seems that I enhanced an interesting discussion about the tiny critters - hope to see more images posted

     

    the "swimming crinoid" from the Caribbean is definetely a crinoid, related to the Eastern Atlantic Anthedon spp., I will try to provide a tentative id with the Hendler book later in the afternoon

     

    I still don't know what's the tiny thing from the ascidians is (Matty's photo), but some pycnos have very similar, stout bodies, with spines, by far not all are slender as Nymphon, Pseudopallene or the deep-sea Collosseides

     

    for this one I need a real good macro - and eventually a specimen (preserved in 70 % ethanol, rum will do it, too)

     

    alternatively it could be an isopod

     

    the red critters clinging on some sort of coral are definetely isopods, I think jaerids or close to them, but I will check to be sure

     

    hey, does somebody have photos of skeleton shrimps (caprellids) ? I really like these ones ! and have a colleague in Sevilla, Spain, who works on them and would appreciate the pictures

     

    cheerio

    Art

  14. Here is a shot of one of the larger pycnogonids we get. This one from Port Stephens NSW.

     

    The isopods are actually on a sponge. Forget its name momentarily ...

     

    cheers

    Lndr

  15. Hi again

     

    thanks for the pycno shot - we had a student working on them - he will certainly know what it is

     

    I have some ids for you

     

    the red isopods are from a huge group called Asellota, and most probably either from the family Paramunnidae or Munnidae

     

    the crinoid from the Virgin Islands (or Cayman Is ??) .. anyway .. it's Analcidometra armata

     

    I also identified Craig's tiny "white moray eel": it's actually a wormlike white pipe fish Siokunichthys nigrolineatus, which is associated with mushrom corals

     

    still working on Matty's creature

     

    a photo under microscope would help ! :huh:

     

    cheers

    Art

  16. For the record Matty's "Isopods" are on the ascidian Polycitor giganteus.

  17. hey art have a look at this critter .

    shot in the solomon islands . on sandy rubble at about13m

    cameras own flash in macro mode

  18. or hesetwo guys

    brittle star and critter

    taken at cronulla sydney

  19. Hi folks !

     

    the crab from the Solomons is Calappa sp. (family Calappidae, or box crabs)

    I though first it's Daldorfia horrida, a stone-mimicking parthenopid crab, but this has differently shaped claws and the frontal region is different, too so now I am inclined to think it's a calappid

    I think it's one of the recently described species, I'll check with some IWP crab people

     

    the small critter next to the ophiuroid from NSW is probably an isopod, too, maybe from the same family as the red ones, but it's so small and cryptic that I really can't tell more

     

    bye

    A

  20. SORRY - WRONG THREAD!

     

    I'm guessing that this is a pycnogonid. I shot it in Fiji last year. I didn't know what it was, and the shot isn't very good. It was very small, maybe 2 cm or so.

     

     

    Spider%20Crab.jpg

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.