Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Water droplets on dome ports

Started by seacamera ·

  • 18Posts
  • 18Replies

Read-only discussion

Water droplets on dome ports

18 posts
  1. I am sure this topic must have been covered somewhere but could not find it in the forums. So sorry if I am repeating - if I am, can someone point me to the right thread.

     

    I have the 9" Sea & Sea acrylic dome which has always worked hundreds until I polished out some scratches using the micromesh. Now I cannot seem to get the dome so the waterdroplets don't form, especially when shooting over-unders. I have tried shampoo and spit. Spit works better (this always worked 100% before I polished the dome) but still does not give me enough time to shoot some shots before I get a whole lot of water droplets forming on the dome.

     

    Can anyone give some ideas what they use to prevent water droplets forming on the dome. I read in one of David Doubilet's articles he uses Lemon Pledge to clean his domes which then sounds like that helps, so may try that. But any other suggestions will certainly be appreciated.

     

    Thanks

    Anthony

  2. Havent trried anything myself yet, but thought of using Rainex, from your local car accessory stockist, normally used to keep excessive water off your windscreen

  3. Havent trried anything myself yet, but thought of using Rainex, from your local car accessory stockist, normally used to keep excessive water off your windscreen

     

    Do not use Rainex on acryllic domes.

  4. Do not use Rainex on acryllic domes.

    Ah!

    Thanks Alex :)

    so what can we use?

  5. Well, I've always been wary of Rainex, but I recently had a dome out on hire and it came back with a bottle of Rainex in the box and seems to have suffered no damage - this IS a Seacam glass dome though. Methods that I've heard suggested are washing up liquid (but you will need to reapply frequently so only possible where this can be sorted) or perhaps rubbing with potato, but again may need reapplication. I assume that its a myriad of 'micro-scratches' which are causing the problem so perhaps a wax type transparent polish might help - possibly even a well polished in smear of beeswax? Might be worth a try - I doubt wax will cause problems with acrylic but it might be worth googling?

  6. Yeah, this has been covered many times.

     

    Lick your port. Honest. Lick it, dunk it and press the shutter.

  7. I use pledge lemon furniture polish on Acrylic domes , if you still want to lick your dome after, then you'll get that zesty tangy taste as a bonus :lol:

     

    The waxy composition really breaks down the water film surprisingly well as well as keeping dust from sticking around also, we use it on acrylic surface quite a bit

  8. I use pledge lemon furniture polish on Acrylic domes , if you still want to lick your dome after, then you'll get that zesty tangy taste as a bonus :lol:

     

    The waxy composition really breaks down the water film surprisingly well as well as keeping dust from sticking around also, we use it on acrylic surface quite a bit

     

     

    Lemon Pledge makes your eyes water too - after you've licked it. I don't know though if that's the lemon or the Pledge

  9. Pitty spit/licking does not work for all, because its sad to think of adding chemicals to the ocean in the search for a photo.

  10. I carry a piece of chamois cloth in my BC pocket. When I come up out of the water for a shot, I wring it out and then wipe the glass dry.

  11. I've heard that a slice of raw potatoe will work.

     

    I always used Rainex, on glass domes.

  12. Do not use Rainex on acryllic domes.

     

    Very grateful for this advice, having just bought some rainex to take on my next dive trip with a brand new housing & acrylic dome port... :lol: Good timing. Great forum!

  13. Some of the threads on the subject.

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23448

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20869

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16413

     

    Just remember, if you are going to go the spit and lick method, make sure it is your own rig. Even if you are trying to help others with the issue, starting to lick other people's gear results in some strange looks :D

     

    Hey Jean, I am hoping that Pledge comes out with a Jack Daniels Flavor. :D

  14. starting to lick other people's gear results in some strange looks :D

     

    And how is it you came to know this? :D

  15. And how is it you came to know this? :D

     

    Once they release me from the little rubber room and believe me that I was only trying to help a fellow diver and not victim of an equipment licking fetish, perhaps I will fill you in. :D

  16. I use RVR Rain Repellent, a product made for small aircraft windshields. I got it from http://sportys.com/PilotShop/product/12019

     

    -Mark

     

    Mark,

     

    Aren't the smaller aircraft canopies and windshileds acrilyc? Does this work on acrilyc dome ports?

     

    Thanks, Dave

  17. Yes, the RVR Rain Repellent is made for acrylic.

     

    -Mark

     

    Mark,

     

    Aren't the smaller aircraft canopies and windshileds acrilyc? Does this work on acrilyc dome ports?

     

    Thanks, Dave

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.