Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Dry Suit Recommendation Needed

Started by marktol ·

  • 25Posts
  • 25Replies

Read-only discussion

Dry Suit Recommendation Needed

25 posts
  1. Food for thought here. I'd also look carefully at Otter as I have plenty of friends who use them. My wife started using one last year too and is very pleased with it indeed - she has even used it for her work diving despite having a (Gates) work suit provided! Otter aren't the cheapest but my experience with the more expensive DUI is mixed. Its very comfy but simply not as watertight as it should be (and never has been) unfortunately. O3 do have a good reputation but are in the DUI price bracket too.

     

    The best suit I have ever had was an ex-NATO Avon - £80, lasted many years, very, very dry, quick drying, comfortable - a superb suit. But when I asked the company who made them (an ex-division of Avon) if they were likely to make any more I was told (several years ago) that to sell them at £1000 would not be profitable. I still have one but is is porous now and the seams are shot - it is 20 years old though.

  2. As Mark has not been diving for some time, I think all his photo opportunities would be spent on getting used to the dry suit - buoyancy wise, thats another reason as well as cost to him, it was 13 degrees in the water yesterday, getting warmer now! As well as the dry suit, weights and tank for Uk diving, you've also got an undersuit to consider if you get a dry suit. Mine was £170, not cheap either, but lovely and warm :D

  3. I really like my Diving Concept suit, it is far from your location but so far its been a great suit. I have used it alot for underwater work on docks and a handful of pleasure dives. Very durable and fits great.

     

    http://www.divingconcepts.com/ultraflex.htm

     

    They call it the ultraflex, but its not really flexable... it fits well and is really Durable, have rubbed against metal and rocks working and have had no issues leaking.

     

    They have a few other models but i do know know anything about the other ones.

     

    Great suit, good cost.

     

    -K

  4. Paul,

     

    As you say as I dont really dive much in the UK I would loose some of these dives to just learning to use the dry suit and wouldnt really be able to take my camera. I may well be better off sticking to what ive got for now and grin and bear it. 13 deg its definatly getting warmer, my 7mm semi dry is getting more appealing...lol I am planning a trip to Swanage in the next few weeks with my bro when I get my regs back from being serviced as his club has weights and tanks I can borrow. Its likely to be a week day to avoid the crowds and ive got some holiday to use but I will let you know when im going if you are interested..?

     

    Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I will still keep my eyes out for something suitable but for now it may not be the best investment to make.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark

  5. Mark,

    Thanks for the offer, I'm only a weekend and evening diver I'm afraid, got to work to afford it all! You know where to find my dive diary if you ever want to join us.

    You may want to try and build up your own kit gradually so you can come with us, instead of your brother all the time :D, just the odd weight, and keep an eye out for a refurbed tank where I told you, they last longer than new ones and are an absolute bargain, give him a ring the odd day during the week (not open weekends), ask for Gary. Maybe the end of this season you could have a tank and all your own weight and a few UK dives under your belt, you may be tempted for the dry suit then, the dive show in October could be an idea for VFM, altho be careful that they measure you up right as I hear they sometimes rush it at the shows.

    I also have a 12kilo shot belt you could borrow if you ever get a tank sorted, I have 4 tanks which you could borrow one if we are just out for one dive (I need them all if we are doing 2!)

    My mate can bring my old dry suit round this weekend for you to try if you want still...you could still get in on the Mulberries this weekend too!

    HTH

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.