Nobody minds being quoted as in attributable text. What we don't like is to read something that sounds very familiar only to realise later that we wrote it!
If I Google my name, I find masses of material of mine that has been taken from its original source and translated into many different languages - usually Eastern European or Chinese. I might not get paid but at least it's attributed, which is how it comes up on the search. How much stuff is not, I wonder?
It's also quite strange to find myself reviewing a book that is well written but know that the authors started out on their careers by cut & pasting my stuff!
I know of one successful professional who started off by showing the work of a now venerated British film-maker/underwater photographer as his own. No names, no pack drill but older Brits might know who I mean.
I was assuming that is what you would say but wanted to make sure. When you write scientific papers you often do both, a direct quote with an attribution and then a hard reference to a published work. But beware the unverifiable personal communication.
thanks
Bill
Very lame practices indeed from a magazine publisher that pretends to be an industry leader.