Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Fins

Started by Scubysnaps ·

  • 24Posts
  • 24Replies

Read-only discussion

Fins

24 posts
  1. much appreciated Chris, thanks for that

     

    You are welcome!

     

    You may try various fins to find the perfect one for your kick style. I never used the Bio-fin Steve mentioned but you may find them "stiff" enough for manouvering and hovering around your target.

    I love to dive with long freediving fins but the are nothing for photographing as the are simply too long and bang everywhere. They are very cool and energy saving for cruising around or chasing swimming animals like dolphins, whales or turtles, but have their limitations in narrow spaces.

    I find jet fins for my kick style being perfect but the must be worn with booties. and are very heavy.

     

    As you would like to switch to jet fins you might take a course and/or training in diving using Frog Kick,

    as this kick style enable you to manoever in the most wicked spaces and - used the right way- don't stirr up the sediment.

    Frog Kick: http://www.thescubasite.com/Scuba-Diving-T...lsion-technique

    Back Kick: http://www.dirdiver.co.uk/index.php?option...2&Itemid=40

    Trim position: http://www.dirdiver.co.uk/index.php?option...7&Itemid=40

    Please note that both divers wearing jet fins with sping straps and especially their trim position, what is the perfect one for taking pictures as it keeps you and the fins away from the botttom and his fragile environment.

     

     

    Chris

  2. I've been using OMS Slipstreams for about a year now and love them! They are nice and stiff and work perfect for frog kicking. Not the easiest to travel with but better than Jets.

     

    I just picked up some APS Manta fins which have a lot of hardcore fans out here in SOCal. Really little fins which would be great for travel. I picked up the black versions which are stiffer than the other colors so we will see how they work out when I get a chance to get them wet.

  3. I ended up selling my force fins and insteps for a smaller pair, just for warm dives, they work well and weigh very little, I use my jet fins for the UK theyre awesome, but heavy!

  4. I've got a pair of the Dive-Rite EXP's that I like. They work well in caves and open water. I've recently purchased a drysuit and may go with a heavier fin like the rubber jetfin for diving dry. I've also got a pair of Cressi's full-foot Maxi-Rondine fins. Free diving things that are very long and not the thing for photography but nice to motor along with.

     

    Wendy

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.