Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Teeny tiny shrimp!

Started by TisTam ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Teeny tiny shrimp!

4 posts
  1. Taken in the Aqaba Straight of the Red Sea, near Taba. The dive guide saw this - goodness knows how! I couldn't tell it was anything other than a speck of weed until I zoomed in on the photo I took - which I only took to placate my excited guide! In case it's not obvious (not everyone I've shown this photo to could tell!) it's sitting on the guy's fingertip - that's how small it is!

     

    Any ideas?!

     

    post-3303-1275565502.jpg

  2. I wonder if it's a juvenile Phycocaris simulans - the hairy crook-back shrimp - which doesn't have as much hair as the adult. I'll have to send it to my shrimp guru for a proper id. Meanwhile, you can check on simulans by looking at this old Wetpixel thread http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19379

  3. mmmm, I'd like to know as well.

     

    Found this similar one in Lembeh.......

    Nudi_Falls_80_.jpg

     

    Looks like a paler one than in the posted link.

  4. Hi Jeff - I'm pretty sure yours is Phycocaris simulans. The color seems to be quite variable.

     

    TisTam - here's what Sammy De Grave of the Oxford University Museum had to say about yours: "Its too small to tell if it could be a Phycocaris or a Neostylodactylus, both have that characteristic posture. If colour is anything to go by (which I do not know for certain), then yes maybe its a Phycocaris. Neither of them are known from the Red Sea"

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.