Hi all,
This is another project inspired on the snooting article by Keri.
I'm doing a lot of close up wide angle shooting in low viz, darkish water. Usually I use the edge lighting technique as described by Martin Edge, i.e. pulling the strobes way back and pointing them outwards. I made these barndoors so I can point both strobes towards the subject and control the beam angle -- hopefully eliminating hotspots and backscatter.
I made two sets of barndoors. One for the Sea&Sea YS350 and one for the Sea&Sea YS90. Commercially available barndoors were too large and didn't look as if they would last long in salt water. I used sheet aluminium, brass strip, some standard plumbing stuff, a rivet gun and stainless steel nuts, bolts and springs. Here is how it looks:
Some remarks:
always protect your eyes when working with sheet metal (hey, we're photographers...)
I cut the sheet metal with a razor saw. Round all corners with a file and sand the edges with coarse sandpaper
The mount for the YS90 is a PVC adapter ring from the plumbing department. 8 cm diameter
I didn't have to make a mount for the YS350 barndoors. I can stick them on the big rubber ring that is on the flash. 12 cm diameter.
I will give them a try this Wednesday,
(fingers crossed),
--Rob