Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

First time snooting

Started by stewsmith ·

  • 36Posts
  • 36Replies

Read-only discussion

First time snooting

36 posts
  1. My recent trip to Lembeh produced a few firsts for me.

     

    1st time using the 100mm

    1st time using the 1.4Tc

    1st time using the mini Zen dome

    1st time snooting

     

    Oh and first time getting stung by a scorpionfish, much to the amusement of Simon Buxton who was with me for this dive.

     

    All these snooted images were from the same dive. Not in the same league as Keri's but had great fun with Simon trying to capture something different. I would loved to have have had a good sized Harlequin Shrimp to shoot, unfortunately I had to make do with this little chap who was no more than an inch long.

     

    4639216263_997d0712d9_o.jpg

     

    4639216143_edffa33627_o.jpg

     

    4639825308_6dd0444379_o.jpg

     

    4639215797_c625c640d3_o.jpg

     

    4639824876_a76eb40ec9_o.jpg

     

    4639824634_fedfd52e61_o.jpg

     

    All comments welcome

     

    Stew

    Edited by stewsmith
  2. Nice Stew; the snoot really adds some nice drama to the images. Really like the second to last pic.

  3. Oh and first time getting stung by a scorpionfish, much to the amusement of Simon Buxton who was with me for this dive.

     

     

    Great shots there, like the second and the next to last one. Sorry to hear about the Scorpionfish sting and hope it is all okay now (sounds like it is.)

  4. Nice work for the first efforts. Well done.

     

    Todd

  5. Love 'em all Stew but no. 5 is seriously cool! What snoot were you using and how was the learning curve on figuring out how to use it to get the great results?

     

    Steve

  6. Did you lie on the scorpionfish? I always worry about that - I'd hate to think where you got stung if you did! :-)

     

    And great images - it looks worth it.

     

    James

  7. 5 is my favourite, you've placed the light well on that one.

  8. Looks good for snooting the 1st time and I really like the 5th one too... Simply awesome! :)

     

    Ed.

  9. Love the last two!

    And please tell more about the sting. How it happened, how you were treated? What were the sde effects and how long it took to recover?

    All the details;)

  10. Lovely images. # 5 looks like a magazine cover shot to me.

     

    When we were in Lembeh, a woman had unknowingly placed her hand in the wrong spot and got stung. I took a picture of her wound, which was quite nasty looking two days after it happened. I was told it was twice that size when it first happened but the swelling had gone down considerably in two days.

     

    Stew, I hope your sting was not painful and I hope it didn't swell up too much. And I hope that Simon didn't laugh even though he was amused :) I know from seeing this woman's wound and talking to her about it that it can be a very painful experience.

     

    Thanks for sharing these images.

     

    Ellen

  11. don't worry, he used a nice bit of rum to kill the pain.. :) Simon laugh? heck no! haha.. i did :)

     

    Good job Stew, did you forget your snoot here?

  12. Love 'em all Stew but no. 5 is seriously cool! What snoot were you using and how was the learning curve on figuring out how to use it to get the great results?

     

    Steve

     

    Cheers for the kind words Steve. 5 is my favourite as well.

     

    The snoot was homemade. I just cut the top 6 inches off of a 2 litre bottle of coke. Applied black duck tape to the outside and double sided sticky taped some foam around the cut edge to give a nice snug fit ove my YS90's. I did add an electrical waterproof gland cover to the threaded end as well. This didnt seem to add anything to the lighting so was removed.

    I was doing my snooting with Simon and what we did discover that witht the strobe on full power and with this kind of snoot, we had to have the end of the snoot right next to the subject to get the lighting looking correct. A lot of trial and error. it was a lot easier to remove the arm and strobe from the housing and place it where it was required.

     

    Stew

     

    don't worry, he used a nice bit of rum to kill the pain.. :) Simon laugh? heck no! haha.. i did :)

     

    Good job Stew, did you forget your snoot here?

     

    I told Simon I would leave it for you guys to have a play with.

     

    Stew

    Edited by stewsmith
  13. With regards to the sting. I think I was one hell of a lucky chap.I was laying flat on the sand snooting, as you do. I inhaled a good amount of air to lift me up off of the sand as to not kick sand everywherer . As i was a foot off the sand i went to grab my octopus and i just caught the tip of a scorpionfishes stinger. I looked at Simon, he looked at me, I looked at my finger which had now started to bleed. Simon grabbed my camera, i grabbed my finger. Simon started to laugh, I started to worry. The way i can describe the pain is like this. Imagine what it feels like to hit your thumb with a nice heavy hammer, well imagine what it feels like to hit it right in the same spot again a few minutes after hitting it the first time. After surfacing it was submerged into boiling water for a good 10 minutes. Touch wood i had none of the things happen to me that I thought were going to happen. The pain was there for a day or so, and i could feel a lot of pressure inside. But luckily for me that was all that happedned to me. Deffinately a lesson learned.

     

    Lesson learned : dont expect sympathy from Simon Buxton.

     

    Stew

  14. Awesome Stew, well done, 5's the one too for me :)

  15. I'd like to state that this is all photoshop, Stew didnt even have a snoot with him...

  16. I'd like to state that this is all photoshop, Stew didnt even have a snoot with him...

     

     

    I would say that you and Mr. V are very mean, but I won't on the off chance that I wind up on the same boat as you two one day and you cut my air line just for giggles. Plus, I have also seen the photos of Mike with a rifle :):)

  17. I hope your injury didn't look like this:

     

    Devilfish_InjuryPA140172.jpg

     

    And the above shot was taken a couple of days after it happened to an unfortunate diver who happened to put her hand in the wrong place when diving in the Lembeh Straits. I was told it looked much worse than this.

     

    The reason I'm posting this image is so that folks realize that a sting from this creature is no small matter. Avoid it at all costs!

     

    Ellen

  18. Sorry to hear about the sting Stew. Glad to hear You'r OK now tough.

     

    But You shots are great! I like #1 and #5.

    Great work!!!

     

    Cheers

    Karel

  19. Thanks for sharing. I really like the next to last shot the most.

     

    Hope you are better now. - DiverPam

  20. Phto #5 is just fantastic: love the light and the composition !!!

     

    Well done !!!

     

    All the Best ..... Francesco

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.