Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

First time snooting

Started by stewsmith ·

  • 36Posts
  • 36Replies

Read-only discussion

First time snooting

36 posts
  1. I hope your injury didn't look like this:

     

    Devilfish_InjuryPA140172.jpg

     

    And the above shot was taken a couple of days after it happened to an unfortunate diver who happened to put her hand in the wrong place when diving in the Lembeh Straits. I was told it looked much worse than this.

     

    The reason I'm posting this image is so that folks realize that a sting from this creature is no small matter. Avoid it at all costs!

     

    Ellen

     

     

    It certainly didnt look like that. That looks very painful.

     

    Stew

  2. Ouch!

  3. Hi Stew, you have some really nice shots there, it looks like you had some great subject matter too. Can we tempt you into the UK waters this summer as I recon that snoots are the way forward in murky waters. Do you have any shots of the rig, were the snoots a la wilk?

  4. Simon grabbed my camera, i grabbed my finger. Simon started to laugh,

     

    Good lad, always go for the treasure first.I bet Lou took the piss as well!!!

     

    Seriously though, glad you are ok and really like No5

     

    Duncan

  5. Hi Stew, you have some really nice shots there, it looks like you had some great subject matter too. Can we tempt you into the UK waters this summer as I recon that snoots are the way forward in murky waters. Do you have any shots of the rig, were the snoots a la wilk?

     

    I left thwe snoot at lembeh for simon mike and zee to play with. literaslly it was a 2 litre bottle of coke, cut 6 inches from the top. coated in black duck tape. hey presto. Nothing too fancy but it does work with a bit of trial and error.

     

    Regarding me diving in Uk waters this year.....I dont know. I am extremely busy at work from next week until november so it is very doubtful. Having said thast I will be housing my MK2 soon so a trip to Lundy might be in order. :)

     

    I wont say yes but I wont say no.

     

    Stew

  6. I left thwe snoot at lembeh for simon mike and zee to play with. literaslly it was a 2 litre bottle of coke, cut 6 inches from the top. coated in black duck tape. hey presto. Nothing too fancy but it does work with a bit of trial and error.

     

    Regarding me diving in Uk waters this year.....I dont know. I am extremely busy at work from next week until november so it is very doubtful. Having said thast I will be housing my MK2 soon so a trip to Lundy might be in order. :)

     

    I wont say yes but I wont say no.

     

    Stew

     

    Cool,

    I saw the bottle/snoot conversion on a previous post and am now going to try and to construct a similar sort of thing myself. If you do fancy a dp in the cooler waters, give me a shout if you need a buddy :)

     

    Tristan

  7. Stew you inspired me to try the old "drink straws in the spray paint lid, stuck in an old wetsuit leg trick". It worked better than I expected. Here is the setup;

     

    4665548944_fcb2165085.jpg4664924843_102a5a6ec3.jpg

     

    Installed on the YS-250

     

    4665548912_944755fcef.jpg

     

     

    Test duck with straws removed. I used the Zen 100mm dome with the Tokina 10-17mm at 10mm

     

    4665549016_0224212a02.jpg

     

    Full snootage

     

    4665549034_6a11590905.jpg

     

    and the glamour shot, port side snoot with a kiss from the unsnooted starboard strobe

     

    4665549054_4620c9eb23.jpg

     

    Lessons learned? The aiming light is a huge help. Start with something thats not moving. And this is fun!

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

    Edited by Steve Williams
  8. Thanks for sharing Steve, am very tempted to give this a go. It looks very effective.

  9. Thats pretty cool Mr Williams.

    Now go find a frogfish or two.

     

    Stew

  10. Thanks Tristan, the only problem is sitting at the bar long enough to collect all the drink straws. :)

     

    Yes sir, Stew. Banda Sea in July :)

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  11. Yes sir, Stew. Banda Sea in July :B):

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

     

    Very nice, cant wait to read your report and see what joys your new set up brings you

     

    Stew

  12. I would say that you and Mr. V are very mean, but I won't on the off chance that I wind up on the same boat as you two one day and you cut my air line just for giggles. Plus, I have also seen the photos of Mike with a rifle :uwphotog::swimmingfish:

     

    Mike is our Canadian equivalent of a hillbilly, come's from the wooded part of the country where they usually have a shotgun by the age of 6, will indulge in moonshine by 7 and regard's the movie DELIVERANCE as a social documentary film. aside from that, when not shooting Coon's he is quite an agreable fellow :B): Surpised you still have your hand after having those two around ;-)

  13. Steve - that is a VERY good idea! Way to make a first-grade grid for your flash.

     

    Now I want to try that badly!

     

    Cheers

    James

  14. Not sure if by first-grade you mean first class or it looks like something I made in first grade. :D I tried to let the white glue dry before I posted the pics.

     

    Easy to do James. Cut the top out of a spray paint can lid or something similar. Stuff it with plastic drink straws cut to same length. Glue the straws to the lid and to each other as you assemble. Slide it in an old wetsuit leg cut to fit our strobe.

     

    I like it because you can carry it in your BC pocket unassembled than just slide it on if the opportunity arises. I've played with folding back the wetsuit to get different lengths of snoot. Folding it back works but is a bit of a pain to do. The next version will be 5 mil to provide some floation, be white inside and have a zipper. :D

     

    Have fun,

    Steve

    Edited by Steve Williams
  15. Steve Williams: Lord Snooty!

     

    ... only a joke for middle-aged English who read the Dandy (not the Beano, I think)...

     

    :D : Garden eels living in a snoot

     

    Tim

     

    :D

  16. Mike is our Canadian equivalent of a hillbilly, come's from the wooded part of the country where they usually have a shotgun by the age of 6, will indulge in moonshine by 7 and regard's the movie DELIVERANCE as a social documentary film. aside from that, when not shooting Coon's he is quite an agreable fellow :D Surpised you still have your hand after having those two around ;-)

     

    You shore got a perdy mouth... :D

     

    Deliverence? haha.. i thought BC was a bunch of drugged up hippies?

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.