Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

A100 Aquatica vs Sea &Sea housing - D100 Nikon

Started by paulwhng ·

  • 26Posts
  • 26Replies

Read-only discussion

A100 Aquatica vs Sea &Sea housing - D100 Nikon

26 posts
  1. Dear all

     

    Need some advise, considering between the Aquatica housing and the Sea & Sea housing for my D100. This will be my first housing. Any advise?

     

    1.I hear that the viewfinder for the Sea & Sea housing does not give you a full frame viewing of the view finder (there are similar compliants in the case of S2 and D60 housings) is this the case for the D100 housing too?

     

    2.Which is heavier for travelling?

     

    3.The Sea & sea looks prettier, and the Aquatica a bit "twenty thousand leagues under the sea" and dated.

     

    Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

     

    Paul

  2. If you want it to last, and see the whole frame go for the Aquatica. The end result and value for money exceeds aesthitics.

    Quite a few people on the site had purchased the S & S, but have now moved on.

     

    PM Jim Chambers for more info; he got the Aquatica D100 last May, and he's very happy with it.

     

     

    Cheers,

     

    Bob

  3. PM Jim Chambers for more info; he got the Aquatica D100 last May, and he's very happy with it.

    Bob is correct - I've had the Aquatica/D100 setup for several months. I've only been on one dive trip plus a couple of pool workouts, but I love the Aquatica (and the D100). I also had an Aquatica N90 housing (Bob has it now), and I loved it too.

     

    I can't say anything about the S&S housing, since I've never used one, but I can wholeheartedly recommend the Aquatica housings. They are very well made, solid and dependable. The folks at Aquatica are getting beter with every new housing, little touches especially that make their housings easier to use.

     

    Also, Aquatica (get to know Blake!) are very customer service oriented. When you need to know exactly which accessories you need for a certain lens or port, they'll work with you, and if you need some part right now, they'll make it happen.

     

    No, I don't work for Aquatica! They just make good stuff and I don't mind telling people. And I've learned the hard way that not all housing manufacturers make good stuff or care one whit about customer satisfaction.

     

    I don't know how the prices compare between Aquatica and S&S, but for the money, Aquatica is a great value.

  4. I had my D100 in a Sea & Sea housing for one dive trip. Lots of problems! Connections and buttons that worked on the surface wouldn't work underwater. Sent it back to Sea & Sea and waited and waited and waited. Truely BAD service experience. Multiple phone calls before they "found" my housing waiting for repair on a shelf. Then had to wait for new parts from Japan. Finally got it back with some fixes. It was clunky and not ergonomic. (I bought it because I had Sea & Sea ports and NX100 PR housing for my F100 and was quite happy with that) The Sea & Sea went on eBay.

     

    Have a Subal now - MUCH better, love it.

     

    Have only heard good things re Aquatica. Finish and appearance not as nice as Subal but function excellent and priced right.

     

    Regards,

  5. Thanks to everyone who replied. I think it is unanimous I should go for the Aquatica housing!!! Will post my pictures after my trip this year in Sangalaki.

     

    All the best :huh:

     

    Paul

  6. Just curious ... does anyone have anything good to say about the Sea & sea housing?

     

    Paul

  7. I also echo Jims words on Aquatica. I have dealt with them on the A5000 housing not the D100 but have had the exact same experiences.

     

    And, no I do not sell for them or work on commission. But hey, tell Blake that Jim Chambers and Todd Mintz sent you. Won't get you any special treatment but maybe Jim and I will get a t shirt. LOL

  8. Just curious ... does anyone have anything good to say about the Sea & sea housing?

     

    Paul

    No, not at all. Their D100 housing is horrible. Want one?

  9. Well jim/bob - Maybe you guys can give me some advice in getting a response out of Aquatica - I've been trying to purchase o-rings for my D100 housing for over a month now. They are only for backup purposes, fortunately, but I hoped to have them before leaving for indo next week, but that seems highly improbably now. As much as everyone knocks BH as an underwater dealer - I'll try them next. They probably won't have the orings, but maybe they'll have a little more clout in getting them!

     

    REading about Subal support, I'm starting to think this is par for the industry, but at least they have a network of exceptional distributors like backscatter and uw photo tech. those guys have shied from aquatica, partly for support issues. Too bad I can't get orings from them.

     

    So, like any other case, you'll hear the good and bad on every manufacturer. If I were buying today, I'd be tempted to wait on Ikelite's new smaller housing for the D100 (same box as the rebel). My only concern would be that Ike's small dome may be optically inferior to Aquatica's big fisheye dome, which will probably take the DX fisheye with no hassles, and doesn't need a diopter on the 12-24.

     

    Functionally, the A100 is very good, I've handled two iterations of the unit - one of the 1st production models and one recent mold and they both lined up and worked with no effort. The housing is definitely bigger than it needs to be, which allows it to house the S2 with a different back, and also creates the possiblilty of upgradeability - though I wouldn't bank on it. Underwater, it is a bit heavy, and wants to roll back when the dome is mounted - but that is a compromise I don't mind to have the big dome. with macro port it is well balanced, but still heavy. the finish quality is somewhat poor, but it is somewhat of a budget housing.

     

    Altogether a good housing. Isn't george (scorpio) a dealer for these? A responsive dealer connection would make it a great system!!! Check Ikelite - they may have their housing soon. At the right price, no finish/corrosion issues, and small - may be the perfect housing! And Ike's customer support is a world above.

  10. Have you called their toll free number. Aquatica has overnighted anything I need asap. They have always answered the phone when I have called it.

  11. Paul,

     

    Read my review on the Ikelite D100 housing (in the reviews section) as a possible choice with legendary service. As Kasey pointed out the new smaller housing for the Canon Digital Rebel may be adapted to the Nikon D100 and would also be a good choice. Check the Ikelite web site for progress.

     

    As to the dome port issue with the new 10.5 DX lens, Ikelite's Super Wide dome port would work fine with this lens as it did with the 16mm fisheye on film Nikon SLR cameras. I've used both the Nikon 16mm fisheye and Sigma 15mm fisheye with this smaller dome even on the current MD sized Ikelite D100 housing and it works fine. Due to the FOV (field of view) apparent crop of the smaller D100 sensor this smaller dome works as well as the standard #5503 dome port.

     

    As I've posted before the edge sharpness, IMHO (in my humble opinion) is more about f-stop and where your prmary focus point is. People notice things closer than the primary focus point in hteir photos and curse the port when really it's a depth of field issue.

     

    I've been using the 12-24DX lens in Ikelite's #5503.50 extended dome port without a diopter so I can shoot through it on the surface plus for over / under shots. Due to the elements moving inside a zoom lens I'vee found with NO diopter t at 12mm I can only focus to 2', but as soon as I zoom to approximately 14mm I can go to 1.25'. Then at 24mm all the way to 1' or the minimum 11.8" focus of this lens. Many list members have tried various +2 and +4 diopters to achieve ranges of focus and you'll have to experiment with whatever housing and port you choose.

     

    You can see some examples of the 15mm Sigma Fisheye and 12-24DX lenses at:

    www.pbase.com/dhaas

     

    David Haas

    Haas Photography Inc.

    dhaas@megsinet.net

  12. I don't don't have any spare o-rings available on me right now. Call directly, I'm sure they can get you what you need before the trip.

     

    REading about Subal support, I'm starting to think this is par for the industry, but at least they have a network of exceptional distributors like backscatter and uw photo tech. those guys have shied from aquatica, partly for support issues.

     

    Issues with Aquatica date back a while. I won't go into the company history, but there were real issues and nobody could blame those dealers for dumping Aquatica.

     

    Par for the industry? Just my opinion, but yes. I think there was a mad rush to get these housings out there. Product life cycles on film cameras are quite long compared to the digitals. Not enough time was given to testing of production units. There are a lot more issues to deal with as far as controls, too. I think many QC shortcuts have been taken. Perhaps not shortcuts, but a lack of coherent procedures for final QA. While the design may be perfect, no one took the time to determine what manufacturing tolerances would or could be acceptable. That's why you see all these frustrating little problems. I have them on my Aquatica unit. Nothing fatal, just annoying.

     

    Let's face it. Subal is a quality housing manufacturer, yet they are taking their lumps over these issues.

     

    They are not alone. We can talk about early DS-125's, Sea & Sea D-SLR housings and many other products.

     

    I see it in other areas, too. Without going off on a rant, but how about a new regulators? Early Dacor Vipers had a design flaw. The latest Mares/Dacor regs are getting a 2nd stage oriface replacement kit. How about my BC weight pouches that fall out with little help? (new design for 2004)

     

    As I've posted before the edge sharpness, IMHO (in my humble opinion) is more about f-stop and where your prmary focus point is. People notice things closer than the primary focus point in hteir photos and curse the port when really it's a depth of field issue.

     

    I won't rehash my experience, but let's just say I disagree. But the FOV crop does help the issue.

  13. Have you called their toll free number. Aquatica has overnighted anything I need asap. They have always answered the phone when I have called it.

    I've emailed several times with no reply, I guess I'll try the phone.

  14. Hi paul and all following this thread on Aquaticas customer service.

     

    First of all: I am the technical field adcvisor for Aquatica and the Virgin Islands Dealer. I am also a professional working underwater photographer and I was, for many years David Doubilet's Assistance.

     

    There are some people who a company can never please no matter what.

    Mr. kasey canton seems to be one of them.

    All that we ask is that dates and customer service response times be accurate.

    Kaseys "O-ring request" was offically places on Oct 23 to Aquatica as I was away on assignment.

    His order has already been proceesed.

    What kasey seems to forget is how we have dealt with all his numerous requests for lens compatibility, gear orders, technical and creative advise, etc, etc. Aquatica also exchanged his housing for a new updated unit during the Miami DEMA. This was done because he was not content with the aesthetic look of his, one of the earlier molds. He delivered the housing to our booth at DEMA full of sand! and corrossion on all bolts!. I mention this not to put a fellow member down but to place things in perspective.

    Aquatica is a small progressive company with limited resourses and manpower. They have achieved an impressive list of new products in a short period of time. It is hard to keep up with all the new lenses, gears and extension port requests when many times we have not even seen these new lenses.

     

    One thing is for sure though:

     

    -Aquaticas value for money is unmatched.

    -The 8" dome port is exquisite and has absolutely no problems when used with the new 12-24DX

    (other manufacturers are not so fortunate). In fact there is no other plexi dome port out there this good. Without mentioning names, I can tell you that the best professional photographers in the business including Doubilet, Newbert, Hall (as in Howard),talbot.........and many others......any of these gentlemen ring a bell? use our housing and ports and have been using them for years.

    -Aquatica housings are rated to over 300 feet....some have taken them to 500ft!

     

    What this all means is that this is a serious housing, with complete accessible features at a price that allows many to produce some of the most breathtaking images ever produced without remortgaging the house.

     

    At the end of the day this forum is a great place to divulge information and keep on top of all that is happening in this changing industry, but we must be careful what we say and how we say it. Everyone is listening.

     

    Paul- thank you for choosing Aquatica! I will personally respond to any tech requests you have.

    For all others unhappy with our product and customer service, please get in touch with me off line. I will try to help in any way.

     

    At the end of the day housings, ports and all the digital gizmo is intended for one thing and one thing only.....to create images that move and to share our love for all underwater. Lets get back to creating some images!

     

    Mauricio Handler

     

    I can be reached at: mauricio@handlerphoto.com

  15. Wow, thanks for taking the time to post Mauricio. It sounds like Aquatica has really tried to go the extra mile to make their customer happy. It's good to hear.

     

    I for one have always gotten great service from Aquatica. I was one of the first to get the 12-24DX lens and I talked to Blake about it over the phone and sent him some measurements. Without even having the lens, he made me a zoom gear and sent it to Houston in time for me to use the lens on my 3 trips shooting for NOAA this summer.

     

    I also agree with George aka Scorpio_fish on the "design cycle" comments. Customers are demanding housings for next generation digital cameras NOW NOW NOW for a camera which will be superseded in 12 months. This puts a serious pressure on designers and manufacturers to get something out the door that works. I think this is one of the VERY important functions of the Wetpixel board - keeping track of all of the new designs, what works and what needs improvement, and sharing information between knowledgeable end users (us) and the manufacturers. It's us "early adopters" who are getting the cameras and lenses first (and bearing the early adopter cost). We should aim to help each-other out, whenever possible.

     

    Sincerely

    James

  16. Hello Everyone,

     

    Though I have never posted to this forum previously, I am friends with various WetPixel.com supporters and appreciate the value of the site's information exchange. One such friend contacted me about this thread regarding Aquatica as he knows that I value the company and its products. As such, I hope you will allow me to introduce myself and express an opinion.

     

    I am a professional photo-journalist who has relied on Aquatica products for many years. Though there were customer service issues in the distant past, the new owners and management, who took control three years ago, have done a great job. Whether I have needed to have battered housings repaired, parts replaced or new toys with which to play, the Aquatica staff has graciously put up with me and "bent over backwards" to meet my needs. And, I know that other colleagues and Aquatica customers have regularly experienced the same treatment.

     

    When I go on assignment, I take Aquatica housings (for Fuji S2's and Nikon F4's), a varied collection of lenses (mostly Nikkor), Sea & Sea YS-120 & YS-30 strobes, TLC strobe arms & connectors, Nikonos V's w/ 15mm lenses and ScubaPro dive gear. Over the years, I have found these items to be reliable and consistently meet my needs. I have nothing negative to offer about other brands. On the contrary, we (underwater photographers) are fortunate to have so many viable equipment options, in terms of companies & products. Since I try to keep things simple, once I find an item that works well, I stick with it. In return, I am not shy about expressing my appreciation for/to the people and companies who produce products or render services that make my life so much easier.

     

    Sincerely,

     

    Scott Johnson

    SeaScapes Images

  17. I am only an amateur photographer but Aquatica has always responded to my emails or calls and been more than gracious in his dealings with me.

     

    You don't need to be a well known pro to get the same pro treatment from them. I have mentioned in the past that Blake overnighted stuff to me three days in a row to make sure I had the proper set-up for a trip I was doing. All this while invoicing me when I got back when and if I was happy with the equipment.

     

    I echo the cudos

  18. Hi, I am also an amateur photographer. As well, I am a PADI diving instructor and

    teach "Photogarphy Specialty" to student divers.

    Until recently, I have been doing this with a NikonosV. I have had many requests for a digital course and decided to move to digital. I did much research on both camera and housing. I was surprised to find that there are several great cameras and many really good housings in the digital market. After much reading, looking and touching I decided that the Nikon D-100, the Aquatica D100 housing, and the Ikelite DS-125 were best suited for my needs.

    At this point I will only address the Aquatica purchase. Once I had decided to move to the Aquatica Housing I contacted the management of the company in Montreal, and had several thorough discussions with them on their manufacturing process, features, available accessories, after sale service, ect.

    I was pleasantly surprised with the level of service and responsiveness that I experienced. All my calls and e-mail were answered promptly and thorougly This customer focussed attitude and responsiveness was a pleasant surprise, as it is not often the case in the diving industry, and confirmed my decision to buy from Aquatica.

    Since I am training students and potential photographer, and therefore using and recommending products, I needed one more confirmation.

    I asked Blake Stoughton to allow me to visit his offices and manufacturing facilities and at the same time pickup my housing.

    He graciously accepted (few, if any manufacturers would agree to this),and I met Blake , Norma and Sandra in their offices in Montreal.

    I can honnestly say that I was impressed with their facilities but mostlyvery impressed with their level of commitment to the product, their customers and customer service. This was very important to me and sealed the deal.

    Norma was wonderful and took the time out of her busy day to demonstrate the functions of the housing as well as helping me install the camera and the accessories: dome port, flat port, brackets, arms......

    I found the Aquatica team very professional, very knowledgable, and very focussed on customer service.

    Having had the opportunity to work with the Aquatica housing and to contact the Aquatica team for support after the sale, I can confirm that both the housing and the after sale customer service turned out to be above my expectations.

    I would recommend Aquatica without hesitation.

  19. Well, I guess the way to get a reply from Aquatica is to post here. I've sent a total of five emails to aquatica over the oring issue, I have gotten no acknowledgement of the order until a few hours after posting on this forum. I might add that there was a nasty 2 minute message on my voice mail from Mauricio.

     

     

     

    Here is a message I sent Aquatica (privately) two days ago:

    Norma - I hate to be a thorn in your side, but it has been 3 wks now I've been trying to get backup orings and grease. When I mentioned on wetpixel that your customer service left something to be desired, you took offense, but this is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm down to 9 days before leaving for 4wks, and I'm not sure whether I'll be able to get these items.

     

    Sorry to bug you on these issues, but with backscatter or light and motion from whom i've bought housings, it only took one phone call or email to make such an order. It shouldn't take multiple contacts to get orings, agreed?

    Thanks for your prompt attention,

    Kasey

     

     

    I don't think that was an unreasonable request, and rather than lambaste a customer, Aquatica might take an internal look at its customer support. If my ability to get service depends on Mauricio not being on assignment - that is a potentially frustrating situation.

     

    A great thing about wetpixel is being able to honestly guide consumers based on our own experiences. I didn't realize I was under industry supervision.

     

    James, I'm sure Aquatica gives you nothing but the best service, but then you are in a position that they might give you a little special consideration. For each person I know that has been content with their service, I know 2 or 3 that are disappointed.

     

    In my own defense, the 1st housing I got from aquatica had a terrible misalignment of the front and rear molds - very poorly machined. When I called about this they said it was an early run, and would be replaced with a properly machined housing when they caught up on their backorder. Six months, and repeated inquiries later, at DEMA they agreed to make the exchange. There was no corrosion in the housing, although there was some sand that the customs agent shook out of a booty into my pelican box and housing. The housing was in use up to 2 days before the exchange, and has never been flooded or otherwise. It was scuffed on the outside from heavy use,as the aquatica finish is somewhat mediocre. The only corrosion on the housing was around the flash comp button and a few other bolts buttons where aquatica has put different metals in proximity to each other causing electrolysis, another concern I expressed in the past.

     

    I'm shocked that I've been accused of being difficult to please, when Aquatica and Mauricio acknowledged that my housing was defective! :freak: So, how many emails does a "good" customer send before getting disgruntled. I thought 5 was generous!

     

    Sorry about the long post, and I can see that I'm now considered an "Aquatica basher" like some of my dive buddies. Anyone want to buy my newly exchanged D100 housing? It has fewer than 10 dives, and I'll keep the customs inspectors at bay :freak:

     

    Now, how about that seacam...

  20. Two comments:

     

    1. I agree with James completely.

     

    2. I loved my Aquatica N90 housing, and I love my Aquatica D100 housing.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.