Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Howard Hall's Cocos 2010 video short, shot on RED

Started by echeng ·

  • 22Posts
  • 22Replies

Read-only discussion

Howard Hall's Cocos 2010 video short, shot on RED

22 posts
  1. IMAX 3D director and producer Howard and Michele Hall recently returned from a 14-day expedition to Cocos Island, Costa Rica, where they made four dives aboard the Undersea Hunter submersible, Deep See. Howard has posted a 3-minute video short using footage he shot using the RED ONE camera.

     

    [vimeohd]12520722[/vimeohd]

  2. I can only see a white square :)

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  3. I can only see a white square :)

     

     

    But it is the same color white all the way across. C'mon Dean, you shoot video, you should know what this is. It is called White Balancing. :P

     

    (Hey Eric, doesn't look like the clip is loading, even directly going to Vimeo's site, at least from my end I am getting "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading." )

    Edited by TheRealDrew
  4. Strange. Works for me!

  5. Working now :-)

  6. Awesome!

     

    Even after encoding to vimeo the there is just bugger all noise in the blacks and the footage looks awesome.

    It looks like RED 1 will be the cam out of that stable for a while too after a few major probs with firmware and manufacturing.

     

    I think the White box is that Vimeo is having all sorts of issues at the moment.

    Edited by jonny shaw
  7. BEAUTIFUL !!! that was gorgeous. I loved the sub shots and the upward shot of the Schooling hammers was awesome.

     

    Kudos to The halls

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  8. Strange. Works for me!

     

     

    Just checked working now on Vimeo also. Earlier it wasn't. Stunning footage....

    Edited by TheRealDrew
  9. I agree -- stunning footage! A lot of the footage looks a bit purple to me (on multiple profiled/calibrated displays). Is it just me?

    Edited by echeng
  10. Yeah the tiger footage definitely looks a little purple to me

  11. Wow, awsome! Just awsome!!

     

    Chris

  12. Looks fine here. The Cocos have always been my favorite location to dive and look forward to my 12th trip there next July,2011

    Beautiful footage and as pristine as you can get. What I wouldn't give to fly in your ultralight Howard or afford to go in the submersible. Really wonderful Michelle and Howard. Hope you are both well.

    Steve Douglas

  13. Beautiful (if a little purple to me too!)

     

    I think the expressions inside the submersible and (predictably) the hammerhead schools made it for me.

     

    Adam

  14. Well I suppose the beauty of shooting in RAW is that the purple issue is pretty easy to amend!

     

    I loved the Manta from the sub at depth.... also the sunball sub shot was pretty cool

  15. No matter how excellent the footage is it still wouldn't push me to buy RED. I know a few BBC peeps are using RED for big shoots however I have heard that EX1's are the primary cams for U/W, I suppose if its for TV broadcast EX1's are an excellent choice. The price of RED/Gates is just outrageous (to me) and in most cases companies find it cheaper to hire their own or source from a hire company. As I've said many times before Its the shooter not the gear that gets the jobs, Saying that it still looks awesome :)

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  16. So true Deano

  17. I agree -- stunning footage! A lot of the footage looks a bit purple to me (on multiple profiled/calibrated displays). Is it just me?

     

    Yep, water is very purple (on some sequences) on my monitor too. Otherwise - awesome!

  18. Enjoyed watching it as well. I was just surprised that if the purple color was an easy fix why it wasn't fixed.

  19. Yep those Sub shots were pretty cool.

     

    Time to start buying Lotto tickets again. :)

  20. Yep, water is very purple (on some sequences) on my monitor too. Otherwise - awesome!

     

     

    Alex,

    Is your monitor properly calibrated? Calibration of TVs and external editing monitors should be done after a burn in time of 150-200 hours.

    Steve

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.