I went to the Clip Wrap website. Very interesting. What have your experiences, plus and minuses been with it? Learning curve, workflow?
Steve - I see two uses of ClipWrap (for me):
1. simplify archiving of personal video, for which transcoding would either be overkill (ProRes is huge) or detrimental (transcoding to another wrapped H.264 video for smaller files would destroy the video)
2. speed up in-the-field workflow for professional use
For example, I'm in Bangkok right now, and I've been toting a Sony CX550v (to learn the camera). It has 64GB of built-in flash. When I connect it to my computer via USB, it mounts as a volume. At this point, I can:
1. Log & Transfer using FCP. This requires transcode, which could potentially take a long time.
2. Copy the entire AVCHD folder structure to my hard disk to archive (Log & Transfer later)
3. Use ClipWrap to re-wrap all of the MTS files into Quicktime
Option 1 would make it so I can't use my camcorder until transcode is complete. It would also throw away my masters (creating new masters: the new ProRes files).
Options 1+2 combined would work, but working with folders is unwieldy. There is also no way I can preview (since I can't find a video player on the Mac that will play an AVCHD MTS file).
Option 3 is a good compromise. MTS files are wrapped in Quicktime, which means that I can quick preview each video and delete the videos that are clearly trash. Since they contain the original video streams, I treat them as original masters. I can also trim them in Quicktime 7 Pro. I will likely still transcode to ProRes using compressor or another program before editing, but in a pinch, I can directly edit in H.264.
Note that metadata information is lost when re-wrapping. For example, the original MTS files are created when the clips are recorded. If you re-wrap, the files get new file creation dates. I do a batch rename of the MTS files and encode the original creation date into the filename before re-wrapping in ClipWrap.
Tony Wu is using Aperture 3 to organize his video clips (and audio). He imports all of his H.264 MOV clips into Aperture, organizes them into virtual albums, and sets in and out points. Finally, batch exports of all the clips he wants to use in his production and transcodes them into ProRes for editing.
Mostly, ClipWrap improves my mobile workflow. At home, I have plenty of disk space and time, and doing a log & transfer and transcoding all of my clips isn't a big deal. But I hate the idea of archiving AVCHD folders, so I'd likely still always re-wrap my video into Quicktime MOV files.