Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Will the INON 180 viewfinder fit an Aquatica D90 housing?

Started by Aussiebyron ·

  • 28Posts
  • 28Replies

Read-only discussion

Will the INON 180 viewfinder fit an Aquatica D90 housing?

28 posts
  1. Hi All,

     

    I have been looking at a viewfinder for my Aquatica D90 and was saving towards an Nauticam viewfinder, until a good friend told me she is selling her INON 180 (from her Nexus) at mates rates as she as recently bought a Nauitcam housing with the viewfinder.

     

    Will the INON 180 fit easierly into my Aquatica??

     

    The difference I have been told is that the Inon is longer and has a slightly smaller field of view compared to the Nauticam and the Nauticam has dioptre adjustment ?.....any other opinions?

     

    INON 180 at a faction of the cost of a Nauticam viewfinder........what would you choose?........btw I dont need dioptre adjustment just yet.

     

    Regards Mark

  2. It ought to with the proper adapter, I know some shop will adapt the 45 degree Inon to our Aquatica housing, so the mount should technically be the same, check with Peter Mooney, as he actually carries both brands and should know the answer.

  3. It ought to with the proper adapter, I know some shop will adapt the 45 degree Inon to our Aquatica housing, so the mount should technically be the same, check with Peter Mooney, as he actually carries both brands and should know the answer.

    HI Mark,

     

    Simple solution is to say no. Its not a modification that I am fond of.

    Edited by pmooney
  4. Hi All,

     

    I have been looking at a viewfinder for my Aquatica D90 and was saving towards an Nauticam viewfinder, until a good friend told me she is selling her INON 180 (from her Nexus) at mates rates as she as recently bought a Nauitcam housing with the viewfinder.

     

    Will the INON 180 fit easierly into my Aquatica??

     

    The difference I have been told is that the Inon is longer and has a slightly smaller field of view compared to the Nauticam and the Nauticam has dioptre adjustment ?.....any other opinions?

     

    INON 180 at a faction of the cost of a Nauticam viewfinder........what would you choose?........btw I dont need dioptre adjustment just yet.

     

    Regards Mark

    Backscatter has adapters for the INON finder for the Aquatica housings I have both the straight and 45 finders on my Aquatica housings and love them they cost me around$300 per adapter

    Chewith them You will be happy you did DD

  5. I considered this originally before i forked out for my aquaview, I was told you still have to squint quite a bit

    Edited by Scubysnaps
  6. Backscatter has adapters for the INON finder for the Aquatica housings I have both the straight and 45 finders on my Aquatica housings and love them they cost me around$300 per adapter

    Chewith them You will be happy you did DD

     

    $300US per adaptor!!! I think that's considerably more than what Mark would be paying for the viewfinder itself.

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  7. The questions begs to be asked though - is there a recommended 45 degree viewfinder solution for the Aquatica housings?

     

    Don't get me wrong I love the aquaview, but depending on the style of diving and your position/trim the straight AquaView can hard to use. e.g. we dropped into a rather tight wreck on the weekend, and with relatively horizontal trim it was hard to shoot upward into the limited available light.

  8. Damien there are shops that will adapt the Inon 45 degree finde to an Aquatica out there, I'll not comment on the performance as I am prohibited as an industry member from giving any opinions on any products related to our brands or others, less it be perceived as marketing of some sorts, maybe others can chime in with their opinions.

  9. I recently bought an Inon 45 degree finder for my Aquatica 5D mk 2. I have only used it for macro but like it a lot. At last I can see the whole frame and the image is really bright. Cost US$900 incl. an adapter to suit Aquatica- suggest you contact Marshall at Backscatter. He was really helpful with me and gave very prompt service. It is a piece of cake to fit to the housing.

  10. I recently bought an Inon 45 degree finder for my Aquatica 5D mk 2. I have only used it for macro but like it a lot. At last I can see the whole frame and the image is really bright. Cost US$900 incl. an adapter to suit Aquatica- suggest you contact Marshall at Backscatter. He was really helpful with me and gave very prompt service. It is a piece of cake to fit to the housing.

     

    Hi JimG,

     

    What is the adapter like? Is it a tube that goes over the viewfinder? Is it easy to remove and add the orginal viewfinder when travelling?

     

    Can you install the adapter yourself or does it have to be shipped to Backscatter for installation?

     

    Do you know if the adapter is the same for the straight and the 45 degree viewfinder or there an adapter for each viewfinder?

     

    Will contact Marshall at Backscatter.

     

    Regards Mark

    Edited by Aussiebyron
  11. Damien there are shops that will adapt the Inon 45 degree finder to an Aquatica out there, I'll not comment on the performance as I am prohibited as an industry member from giving any opinions on any products related to our brands or others, less it be perceived as marketing of some sorts, maybe others can chime in with their opinions.

    Whilst I'm in the same position regarding stating my own opinions, being an industry member, I would suggest that it would be useful for some 'standards' to be established - maximum off-centre full image viewing angle, and brightness (light transmission) as examples - for these viewfinders so that everyone can be given some form of comparative information. Also data such as ease of removal (easy - no tools, tricky - with tools, or factory only), weight, dimensions, etc. would also be handy - I'm as much in the dark as many regarding stuff I don't see. The biggest problem that faces many underwater photographers really is actually getting the chance to compare different viewfinders - especially given their cost. Custom adapters can often be made I'm sure, but choosing the appropriate viewfinder is not easy as reviews, whilst useful, are often more subjective than objective.

  12. Paul, at one point there was a discussion about planning a review of all amplified view finder out there, I am most enthusiastic about this and more than willing to supply the panel of reviewer with the appropriate equipment, but things would have to be standardized , all housing / view finder ought to be for the same camera, better yet one camera in cropped sensor and one full frame, same lens /port size across the board, test done on same day (eliminates hangover and bad hair days in the course of multiple days) in smae condition by a panel of reviewer selected for their non affiliation to any dealers and obliviously no manufacturer representatives on the review panel and no involvement from the manufacturer beyond supplying the equipment for the test.

    Test to be done in a pool with a suitable grid, points given on:

     

    - Ease of removing Standard viewfinder and replacing with enlarged version.

    - Field of view on both cropped and full frame cameras (edges performances)

    - Line of sight comfort (how far off to the side are you before losing the image).

    - Eye relief (distance of eye from finder)

    - Weight & size

    - Diopter adjustment (Y or N)

    - Retail price of unit

    - Overall impression and quality versus price.

     

    Again this is bound to be suggestive at some point, human are human, one might be used to one brand and feel more comfortable with it, but having let say 4 or more individuals is likely to stabilize this factor somewhat.

     

    If the other manufacturer are up to it, or if any dealer want to supply the equipment in questions (then obliviously proper thanks for the loan of the equipment would be credited to them in the review) as well as retain the right to post the results on their web site, as for us, we were up to it then and still are now.

  13. Jean,

     

    I think it's a great idea, but how would you do the test shots in a pool? Would you use a P&S camera at a set distance from the viewfinder entrance?

     

    Cheers

    James

  14. Jean,

     

    I think it's a great idea, but how would you do the test shots in a pool? Would you use a P&S camera at a set distance from the viewfinder entrance?

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    I think that having multiple individual looking through a view finder and attributing score points then averaging said score is what I had in mind, my preference goes to field testing anytime, if 4 or more individual go through each viewfinder of the same type (as in 180 degrees) and score them on their plus and minus strenght, then I feel the readers will have a more realistic idea of what is out there and be in a better position to judge than a spread sheet with stat's on it.

     

    also come to think of it, it's one of those test were absolute extensive experience from an individual is not needed, actually newcomer to DSLR would be a welcome sight, as they are likely to see a different aspect than a most experimented u/w photog would no bother with (a fresh look in sort).

     

    Also to be taken into account is the fact that some housing manufacturers do not have a view finder in their arsenal and a third party is all that will be accessible for the test, so avoiding reference to the housing itself and limiting the comments to that of the viewfinders involved is, I think, the best approach.

    Edited by Viz'art
  15. my seacam sw45 finder rotates so u can do vertical and horizontal compositions. do any of the other 45degree finder options offer this, or are they fixed to horizontal?

  16. As far as I know its exclusive to Seacam 45 degree finder

  17. my seacam sw45 finder rotates so u can do vertical and horizontal compositions. do any of the other 45degree finder options offer this, or are they fixed to horizontal?

    My Subal 45 rotated so that I could do either as well.

    Bill

  18. My Subal 45 rotated so that I could do either as well.

    Bill

     

    Right, so does the Inon, I was thinking 45 to 180 degrees and not horizontal to vertical :) , which come to think of it, no one does... yet

  19. Right, so does the Inon, I was thinking 45 to 180 degrees and not horizontal to vertical :) , which come to think of it, no one does... yet

    off you go then Jean, get that puppy in production then... Or at least an Aquatica 45 degree finder...

    I REALLY miss my S45 :(

     

    and thanks for the advice Bill...

    Edited by photovan
  20. Hi Mark - Aussiebyron

     

    It seems like a solid, well made bit of kit to me. It rotates so you can shoot portrait as well. Yes it is simple to exchange viewfinders - the Inon and aquatica just push out from inside the housing back after releasing a retaining O-ring. Putting either back in is rather like installing a lens port.

    Backscatter want your housing but due to a bit of a cock-up, they just sent me mine having secured the Aquatica adapter to it (I have no idea how this fits) - the whole thing just looks like a viewfinder to me! There were no instructions so I looked online at the Aquatica straight viewfinder instructions and went from there. A doddle! Pressure tested it in the sea without a camera and all set to go.

     

    Hope this helps

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.