The 14n has some interesting and unusual exposure features. It implements a capability called ERI (Extended Range Imaging) and offers two dynamic range curves for JPEGS, wide (called portrait) and normal (called product). It's histogram is unique in that it added two features. The first is a ERI zone on the right if the histogram and the second is a 1ev increment display across the bottom. The 1ev increments let you see how many stops of dynamic range are contained in the image (ignoring the ERI zone).
First is ERI. Kodak describes ERI as a feature that allows overexposed details to be recovered using the RAW converter and negative exposure compensation. Basically what Kodak does is reserve some of their 12-bit resolution for ERI by defining less bits to be available for the output JPEG. The image review display clips if the exposure moves into the ERI range.
What I've read is that two bits of the twelve bit RAW range are reserved for ERI processing. That would imply that the true ISO of the camera is two stops slower than the rating. I set out to verify that using a strobe and Ike light meter. I set my camera and meter to ISO 80 and 1/125, adjusted my strobe power to read f/22 on the meter, then took an exposure at f/22. Rather than see a full normal exposure or a full ERI exposure, what I saw was an exposure that was half way into the ERI zone. It appears to me that the camera claims that the image is 1 stop overexposed but in reality it was 1 stop underexposed. Although my test was not rigorous, it suggests the true ISO rating of the 14n's sensor may be closer to 50 than 80. In order to shoot with the 14n taking full advantage of its sensor range you need to overexpose the image by 1 to 1.5 stops.
I then loaded the overexposed images in Photoshop CS to test the RAW converter and attempt to verify the ERI function. The ACR 2.0 histogram displayed no ERI zone but clipped the overexposed areas instead. By setting brightness to 0 and exposure to -1ev, the clipping was removed and the detail restored. ERI was definitely functional and the Kodak converter simply redefines histogram max and 0ev exposure. I also verified that the maximum ERI range was 1.5 to 2 stops. Great stuff as long as you understand it!
Equally interesting is the fact that the 14n displays 8 to 8.5 stops of dynamic range on its histogram display and the stops have irregular spacing (suggesting that the camera tries to apply DNR curves to the image to compress the image to fit in a JPG). The ERI zone apparently adds 1.5 to 2 stops of additional range resulting in a total DNR of 10 stops! It's not clear if the lowest stops are usable due to noise, but I've read that the camera is capable of consistently delivering 8 stops of range or more, making it a stop or more better than other digital SLR's available today.
So armed with this knowledge, I've been thinking about the 14n's much maligned noise performance. First, the 14n displays and unusually wide dynamic range within its histogram so its unfair to complain of excessive noise in a range other cameras simply clip off. Second, the Kodak ERI function (which amounts to a crutch for photojournalists) encourages shooters to underexpose their images by lying to them about the result. ISO 80 shoots more like ISO 160 but is really more like ISO 50. Clearly if you spot the 14n's competition 2 stops of proper exposure advantage, the 14n's noise may appear to suck. I now suspect that the 14n offers good noise performance as long as you expose properly and only use RAW.
The more I look, the more I suspect the 14n might make an excellent housed SLR. It offers incredible full-frame resolving power and up to 10 stops of dynamic range while using Nikon lenses. Now if only we had a housing...