Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Nikon is depressing me.

Started by NWDiver ·

  • 27Posts
  • 27Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon is depressing me.

27 posts
  1. So I have been given "clearance" to upgrade my kit. Currently shooting a Nikon D200, Aquatica, 2xInon D2000s and 2xSubtronic Novas. I know Nikon came out with the D300 & D700 but it seems every time I look Canon has something "better". Does it seem like Nikon is a little slow in rolling out bodies out these days? In a "perfect world" I want a DSLR with good low light performance and shoots 1080HD with autofocus (throw in a Aston Martin V12 Vantage). Just don't see anything in the next 6mths from Nikon that fits the bill. At this point totally open to changing brands.

    Edited by NWDiver
  2. So I have been given "clearance" to upgrade my kit. Currently shooting a Nikon D200, Aquatica, 2xInon D2000s and 2xSubtronic Novas. I know Nikon came out with the D300 & D700 but it seems every time I look Canon has something "better". Does it seem like Nikon is a little slow in rolling out bodies out these days? In a "perfect world" I want a DSLR with good low light performance and shoots 1080HD with autofocus (throw in a Aston Martin V12 Vantage). Just don't see anything in the next 6mths from Nikon that fits the bill. At this point totally open to changing brands.

    The Nikon D90 upgrade (D7000) is supposed to be announced mid-September. If the specs proposed hold, it will be a really nice camera particularly for underwater.

    16MP, low-light similar to D700, 1080p with autofocus, 100% viewfinder. I might even have to go back to DX at least for underwater. Switching brands is something that's crossed my mind, but which brand? Sony is really coming on strong in my opinion.

    Edited by loftus
  3. The Nikon D90 upgrade (D7000) is supposed to be announced mid-September. If the specs proposed hold, it will be a really nice camera particularly for underwater.

    16MP, low-light similar to D700, 1080p with autofocus, 100% viewfinder. I might even have to go back to DX at least for underwater. Switching brands is something that's crossed my mind, but which brand? Sony is really coming on strong in my opinion.

    Sony is looking pretty good these days.

     

    Last night I tried, and miserably failed, to take a video of my new kitten with my Nikon D5000. No auto focus in video mode. I know the new Nikons will auto focus in video mode.

     

    My next camera will have good video capablility, especially autofocus. We'll see what Nikon offers.

     

    You are right though, Canon seems to be quicker to innovate than Nikon. Canon is a much larger company. I'd like to stay with Nikon, but I, like the OP, am open to change.

    Edited by Don in Colorado
  4. You are right though, Canon seems to be quicker to innovate than Nikon. Canon is a much larger company. I'd like to stay with Nikon, but I, like the OP, am open to change.

    I think the video aspect aside there's still not much in it between the cameras for still shooting. If anything, the quasi-objective assessments of sensors like DXO still gives Nikon the edge and Nikon glass is still hard to beat. Add in the Nikon Speedlight system, and I'd still say that as a still system Nikon is as good or better than the competition in it's class. The buzz is that Nikon have been limited until now in terms of their video implementation due to restrictions placed upon them by Sony, and these restrictions are no longer as Nikon appears to have taken more control over the manufacturing of their own sensors.

    As I implied in my last post, if anything it's the other companies like Sony and Panasonic that really seem to be innovating. Nikon is expected to announce a mirrorless camera and the D90 replacement before the end of the year, and from the rumored specs both will be right there with the competition. Interesting and exciting times.

    Every time I think of switching Nikon systems, Nikon brings out something that makes me glad I saved the money.

    On my recent trip to South Africa I just popped the new 70-200 with the new 2xTC on my D700, with the SB900 as fill, and I was just blown away by the quality of the glass.

    4927789149_7857940d5a_b.jpg

    South Africa 2010-07-26 by WaterworldImages, on Flickr

    Edited by loftus
  5. Come on, guys (and it is usually guys that have this upgrade angst)!

     

    What makes a good underwater photograph? In order:

     

    (1) the subject

     

    (2) the position of the subject in relation to natural or artificial light

     

    (3) the turbidity of the water

     

    (4) the skill of the photographer

     

    (5) the optics

     

    (6) the camera

     

    or, even:

     

    (6) the housing

     

    (7) the camera :)

     

     

    So: are you wealthy enough to switch all of your lenses for a camera with capabilities that won't show in the final image, more often than not? And have you noticed that Canon upgrade continuously, pull ahead for a few years, then Nikon make a big change, and things are back to square one?

     

    Tim

     

    :)

  6. Tim, since we're broad stroking misogynistic stereotypes, girls have new style updates (hair, accessories and clothes) so it's pretty even with guys and their gear lust. :)

     

    And changing brands isn't always a money loser, especially if you have lenses older than 2 years old before the price hike due to the weak dollar/yen exchange. I just dumped my Nikon gear (1 body, 3 lenses and 1 flash unit. I kept 2 nikon lenses in case I want back in again) for about $200 loss for 5 months use (and thanks to Loftus' transport services had the lens for South Africa). Now the effort to sell and buy may take a lot of time and that can cost money as well but it's not a big loss as many make it out to be.

    Edited by Drew
  7. I just dumped my Nikon gear (1 body, 3 lenses and 1 flash unit. I kept 2 nikon lenses in case I want back in again) for about $200 loss for 5 months use (and thanks to Loftus' transport services had the lens for South Africa)

    You had that lens to use in South Africa for all of 4 days; hope it's the one you kept or that's about $400 per day! :)

  8. Really only have one Nikon, ok two, Nikon lens I love the 70-200mm 2.8 and my 200-400mm 4.0. Agree about guys and their gear lust and it being the photographer that matters. BUT come on I have waited, been patient, my camera does not even shoot video, poor me. (one of my favorite sayings "everything after but is bull@#!!)

  9. Tim, since we're broad stroking misogynistic stereotypes, girls have new style updates (hair, accessories and clothes) so it's pretty even with guys and their gear lust. :)

     

    Yeah, but cameras generally improve. Haircuts and style often go backwards. Would you want your kid to look like this?

     

    a344_h14.jpg

    Edited by DesertEagle
  10. That's like a Nikon D3x, big MP but pretty much useless! :)

     

    Let me put it in terms gear lust men understand:

     

    01 Birkin Ostrich Bag = 1.5x (up to 5x) Nikon D3x or 1DsMark III

    01 Hairstyle/Coloring by Garren or Serge Normant = 1 24-70L lens + Singh Ray Galen filter.

    01 Louboutin Cousinet Slingback = 1 16-35LII or 14-24G

     

    Trust me. It's even until we bring out the big guns of mega yachts (which tend to be mostly men... all trying to get the women on board mind you!) :)

  11. I switched from a D200 to a Canon 7D for a couple of reasons. Video capability was one. Still image quality really isn't an issue.

     

    Somewhere on Thom Hogan's site is an upgrade chart. Unless you have a compelling need to do video, you are still on the "wait for something better" list.

     

    I'm still working on unloading a ton of Nikon gear. It's a pain. Even worse, I took both Canon and Nikon setups on my last trip. Changing is a pain. Trying to remember how both work is a bigger pain. Half the time I can't even attach the lens properly. It now takes two hands to turn the camera on and off. Why does Tv stand for shutter speed? Oh, time value, there's a term I've used often. I had my last D200 set up in the studio, but then I sold it. Needed to take a product shot. Oh no, I have no L-bracket for the Canon. I don't have the right lens either. I'm running apps in Windows and OS, too. My aging and deteriorating brain struggles with all of this. Save yourself. Wait for the next Nikon. :)

  12. I think if you are really interested in video then you should go with Canon. They have been making camcorders for a long time and have a lot of experience in the video markets. This is why Nikon hasn't been able to compete recently.

     

    Video - Canon wins hands down.

    Lenses - Tie (they both have amazing glass)

    Still Photography - Nikon wins (but not by much).

     

    I say c'mon over to the Canon pool... the water's fine. And I really don't think it is that hard to make the switch (besides selling all that stuff). Canon menus are easy to learn and you will remember that Tv is shutter priority in about 30 seconds.

  13. That's like a Nikon D3x, big MP but pretty much useless! :)

     

    Let me put it in terms gear lust men understand:

     

    01 Birkin Ostrich Bag = 1.5x (up to 5x) Nikon D3x or 1DsMark III

    01 Hairstyle/Coloring by Garren or Serge Normant = 1 24-70L lens + Singh Ray Galen filter.

    01 Louboutin Cousinet Slingback = 1 16-35LII or 14-24G

     

    Trust me. It's even until we bring out the big guns of mega yachts (which tend to be mostly men... all trying to get the women on board mind you!) :)

    Drew, you are beginning to worry me! But nevertheless I have to agree - it's a conversation I've had frequently with my Michelle. Fortunately we've only got as far as a non-ostrich Birkin, but that's why I'm holding off on the Hasselblad. :)

  14. I'm still shooting with a Nikon D2x. I enjoy reading about the newest camera upgrades as much as anyone else, but when I look over at the D2x, I realize that there is still a lot of potential in that camera that I have yet to utilize.

     

    If you're that frustrated with the upgrade cycle , maybe trying to shoot with a completely different photographic technique might quell the upgrade pangs your feeling.

     

    Lots of other types of photography out there besides underwater stuff. I'm concentrating on my panorama technique and also working with Infrared. Each new technique attempted makes the camera feel like a whole new machine.

     

    Instead of fixating on what your camera won't do, maybe you should concentrate on what the camera can do using other shooting styles and techniques.

     

    Works for me, every time.

     

    Video will still be there when I finally do get around to upgrading, but with a shutter rated for a couple hundred thousand actuations, it may be awhile. :)

     

    Some times it's not the vehicle your using but the journey that your on, that matters.

  15. If your camera doesnt have video, you arent going to be taking video no matter how skilled you are.

     

    Having said that, I got the 7D because I was looking forward to using video and stills as needed. In practise Ive found Ive hardly used it, partly due to learning curve, partly due to headspace, partly because I dont have real video lights, restricting it mostly to natural light, and I dont want to have to buy new strobes or lights.

     

    I wouldnt be too worried about it as a feature unless you're absolutely sure you'll use it.

     

    Otara

  16. I think as a Nikon user we are in a transitional period between updates. Canon have released their line up earlier with the 550D and 7D and then its Nikon's turn with their proposed new releases.

     

    I agree the Canon HD video is so much advanced than what is offered on my Nikon D90 as you expect from a company which has been making Video cameras for decades. But it wil be interesting to see what comes out from Nikon to compete against the current Canon lineup. From the rumours it looks like the D90 replacement and the d300 replacement will be up there competing with the best.

     

    As regarding to lenses it also seems that for underwater photography that the third party manufactures are making excellent lenses and very competitive prices. Just take the look at the very popular Tokina 10-17mm. Its one of the least expensive lens out there but it works very well.

     

    Will I sell off my Nikon mounted lenses and go to Canon?..........no

    But If I had a house fire and all my camera gear was distroyed, I would sit down with my insurance cheque and compare whats available between Nikon and Canon. As for other brands such as Sony and Pentax.......sorry I personally wouldn't even bother at looking at them as they do make excellent cameras its the ability to house those cameras which would be an issue for me.

     

    But in the End of the day would the New cameras take better pictures than the camera I have now?........I dont think so, but it does have more features which I can play with and possible opportunity to improve on.

     

    Regards Mark

  17. For me it is the draw of video. My wife has become very attached to our Sony HC9/Gates set-up, gives me the stink eye anytime I suggest taking it out, and she has no interest in learning to shoot stills. In addition I would love a camera that has better ISO performance than the D200. I prefer shooting WA and in the murky Pacific Northwest that can be a issue. Reality is I am probably shooting the D200 for another year before something comes out worth trading for and a housing is available.

    Edited by NWDiver
  18. Regarding HD Video on DSLR.

     

    Do I like it?.........love it. Especially when there is so much happening. Here are few video from my D90, I wasnt planning to shoot video at the time but I glad I did:

     

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/22898788@N04/3340682876/

     

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/22898788@N04/4417249330/

     

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/22898788@N04/3369482259/

     

    Would I buy a camera without it?............Not anymore

     

    I just hope the quality of the Nikon HD video is as good if not better than the current Canon's and makes me want to buy nice modeling lights to use also.

     

    Regards Mark

  19. Somewhere on Thom Hogan's site is an upgrade chart. Unless you have a compelling need to do video, you are still on the "wait for something better" list.

    Oh no a "need vs want" debate. :)

    Every brand has its strengths and weaknesses, and those in the market for new features will have to decide if it's what they want. Like Mark, there is no doubt in my mind that I'd consider only cameras with solid video mode. Unlike many others, I don't care for full time AF in video, because I'm accustomed to focus pulling myself for moving pics.

     

    Drew, you are beginning to worry me! But nevertheless I have to agree - it's a conversation I've had frequently with my Michelle. Fortunately we've only got as far as a non-ostrich Birkin, but that's why I'm holding off on the Hasselblad. :)

    What? You've never had to buy Michelle a gift personally?

    My conversation days are over. I just nod my head (while internally shaking it!), smile and say things like "wow that's hot!" Then I get left alone to do what I want.

  20. So I have been given "clearance" to upgrade my kit. Currently shooting a Nikon D200, Aquatica, 2xInon D2000s and 2xSubtronic Novas. I know Nikon came out with the D300 & D700 but it seems every time I look Canon has something "better". Does it seem like Nikon is a little slow in rolling out bodies out these days? In a "perfect world" I want a DSLR with good low light performance and shoots 1080HD with autofocus (throw in a Aston Martin V12 Vantage). Just don't see anything in the next 6mths from Nikon that fits the bill. At this point totally open to changing brands.

     

    Regarding Nikon and HD video I think the recent D3100 release shows they have lifted their game in that area. It also gives some very good indications as to what

    might be expected for the D90 and D300 replacements. There is light at the end of the tunnel and the D90 replacement announcement is expected in September.

     

    Now if only it would stay in the same body size/shape so as to fit into my Nexus housing! :)

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.