Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Diving in Oil Platform

Started by Carlos_Suarez ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Diving in Oil Platform

11 posts
  1. Hello

     

    We're trying to do diving in a oil platform out of service. If you know where we can scuba dive would be of great help. We are looking near from Gulfport but if is possible with some visibility. Because we want make photographs and film.

     

    I still do not know if we would come out on our own boat or rent one.

     

    If you don't know any oil platform out service, but you can tell me someone who can help, we would be very useful.

     

    Thank you very much

     

    Regards

  2. I'm sure the guys at Scubazoo filmed an Oil-rig somewhere???? Try them :)

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  3. Hello Carlos,

     

    You came to the right place to ask :-)

     

    Your best port to go out and photograph an oil platform underwater is Venice LA. You could still get to some nice ones from Gulfport but it is going to be a LONG boat ride (think overnight trip).

     

    There are some giant ones in deep water in an area called Viosca Knoll which is East of Venice LA. Main Pass area is another good place to try. I would start by contacting a non-profit called "Ecorigs" which dives the platforms almost every weekend.

     

    As to your question about "out of service" what do you mean? The government here requires out-of-service oil platforms to be removed and in some cases turned into artificial reefs. In the case of the latter, they are fully submerged. You can dive on "active" platforms here in the gulf - usually it's no problem to tie up to the platform.

     

    HTH

    James

  4. I'm sure the guys at Scubazoo filmed an Oil-rig somewhere???? Try them :)

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

     

    Wasn't that just the "hotel" rig on Mabul?

     

    Tim

  5. If you are not firm on doing a Gulf area oil platform, do not discount the amazing platforms of SoCal. Granted, the water is colder (I'd recommend a drysuit, though plenty of people dive them in 7 mm wetsuits), and the visibility can be more of a crapshoot, but you will see cavorting sea lions, possibly molas, pelagic jellyfish - all on your safety stop. At depth, you'll see metridiums and little corynactis, along with tons of sea and brittle stars - fish life includes sheepshead, cabezon, and the possibility of schooling baitfish (in Eureka, I have seen them so thick that they block out the sun)...and late summer/fall often brings 50+ vis (a low estimate - I have seen it hit 80, easily). Oh - and this is an easy day trip (7 am - 3 pm, 3 tanks generally) from San Pedro, near LA. This is one of my favorite local boat dive outings, and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

     

    Best,

     

    Allison

    Edited by vetdiver
  6. Thanks guys

     

    I'll follow yours advices.

     

    I am grateful for your help.

     

    Regards

  7. Wasn't that just the "hotel" rig on Mabul?

     

    Tim

     

    Maybe ??? I just heard they shot a film under an oil rig somewhere... :)

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  8. Yes. There was an incident at another new oil platform in theGulf of Mexico.

     

    This is the 380 Vermillon rig. We don't know if there are oil spills, and the information that we receive are confusing.

     

    We now find ourselves near to the Deepwater Horizon on board of Oceana Latitude to 200 miles of Vermillon 380. This may alter our plans.

     

     

    We are very outstanding.

     

    Vermillion380.jpg

  9. Finally we come back to Gulport again. We want diving in the zone Pascagoula or Biloxi. If anybody know oil plataforms in this area for diving, and can give me the position, I will be very grateful.

     

    Thanks

  10. Carlos,

     

    There are no platforms off of Biloxi or Gulfport "officially" they are all in LA waters. From Biloxi you should head South to the Main Pass or Viosca Knoll area. You can get the coordinates of the platforms from the BOEMRE.gov website - check the GOM region data section.

     

    Good luck!

    James

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.