Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

gettings photos from camera without opening housing

Started by Cal ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

gettings photos from camera without opening housing

9 posts
  1. Hey guys

     

    I need to get the photos from my camera onto a computer without opening my housing (for various reasons which I won't go into).

     

    Has any one tried these wifi memory cards?

     

    http://www.eye.fi/

     

    Or have any other methods?

     

    Can an ikelite housing be modded to fit a cable to get the photos out?

     

    Cheers

     

    Cal

  2. Hey guys

     

    I need to get the photos from my camera onto a computer without opening my housing (for various reasons which I won't go into).

     

    Has any one tried these wifi memory cards?

     

    http://www.eye.fi/

     

    Or have any other methods?

     

    Can an ikelite housing be modded to fit a cable to get the photos out?

     

    Cheers

     

    Cal

    Cal,

    Somewhere on this forum a few years back seagal posted a housing mod, which I believe was Ikelite to hook up a USB connection to the camera. I just can't find it now. Ryan from Reef Photo made me a USB connection bulkhead which I can use in the pool to connect directly to my laptop for my Subal. Thing I hate though is I can't see my camera LCD screen while the laptop is connected, wish there was a way to see both at the same time.

    We had to build in an amplifier because of the length of the cable which makes it a bit finnicky, but it can be done.

    Edited by loftus
  3. Might check a forum like Sportsshooter. I think some sports photographers shooting swimming with a housing in the pool have worked around this but am not sure.

  4. Can an ikelite housing be modded to fit a cable to get the photos out?

    Can't see there being a problem with fitting a cable. You'll need a flash socket and cable and someone to fit the flash socket to the housing so that it does not compromise the 'pressure integrity'. Should be reasonably straightforward - I'll probably sort something out like this for myself one day - if a bit messy. If you are happy with soldering iron and multimeter then it will just take you some time, if not then a housing servicer/repairer should be able to sort it ok.

  5. Thanks guys!!!

     

    Loftus - so you can upload directly to the computer from the usb cable right? Does the cable need to stay plugged in the whole time?

  6. Thanks guys!!!

     

    Loftus - so you can upload directly to the computer from the usb cable right? Does the cable need to stay plugged in the whole time?

    Basically it works just like your normal camera USB output, so I see no reason why you could not connect it as needed to download. I have used it for continuous download with tethered shooting to Aperture for about a year now in the pool.

  7. If you dont need to stay in the pool, an Ikelite housing should let a wi-fi signal through OK.

     

    But a check of the eye-fi site says there are known issues with it and D90's.

     

    Otara

  8. Moved to appropriate forum.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.