As I prepare for my first trip with a DSLR rig, I've been reading the Underwater Photographer by Martin Edge, and finding the insight very valuable. I would love to take this book with me on the trip as a reference, but its big and heavy, and with the current airline regulations it seems impractical. I just saw that it is available in PDF format some places for $40, which would be great on a laptop or iPad...I'm wondering if there is any way those of us who have already purchased the paper copy of the 4th ed. can get a discount on a PDF copy (or maybe even a PDF copy for free). Anyone know anything about whether this might be possible or how we might go about finding out?
Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic
iPad version of The Underwater Photographer?
Started by mcliffy2 ·
- 21Posts
- 21Replies
Read-only discussion
iPad version of The Underwater Photographer?
-
-
It's available for the Kindle app for your iPad. The Kindle app is free, and its "store" gives you access to the entire Kindle library of books, usually at substantial discounts. I bought this book for just the reason you state - to be able to take it with me on trips. Note, however, that the photos in the Kindle version are poor, so you can't really "see" what is being discussed in the text the way you can with the book. In that respect, the PDF version might be better (assuming it accurately reproduces the photos). Still, if you're looking for a cheaper way to take the text, the Kindle version gives it to you.
-
It's available for the Kindle app for your iPad. The Kindle app is free, and its "store" gives you access to the entire Kindle library of books, usually at substantial discounts. I bought this book for just the reason you state - to be able to take it with me on trips. Note, however, that the photos in the Kindle version are poor, so you can't really "see" what is being discussed in the text the way you can with the book. In that respect, the PDF version might be better (assuming it accurately reproduces the photos). Still, if you're looking for a cheaper way to take the text, the Kindle version gives it to you.
Here is the link to the PDF version I found: http://www.ebooks.com/ebooks/book_display.asp?IID=535097
My question though is for those of us that have already purchased the paper version of the book, if there is a way anyone knows of to get the PDF version at a reduced price, as it seems a little much to have to buy the book twice.
-
note its also the 3rd edition of the book, not the latest 4th edition.
-
note its also the 3rd edition of the book, not the latest 4th edition.
The PDF edition is the 4th...
-
Here is the link to the PDF version I found: http://www.ebooks.com/ebooks/book_display.asp?IID=535097
My question though is for those of us that have already purchased the paper version of the book, if there is a way anyone knows of to get the PDF version at a reduced price, as it seems a little much to have to buy the book twice.
I am pretty sure that you won't be able to find a cheaper version if you bought the paper back, it isn't clear what the advantage to the publisher is. You could make your own PDF version but unless you have young kids who are willing to scan for the fun of it, it is probably cheaper to buy the PDF version.
The Kindle version is actually more expensive (31 vs 30) than the actual book which to me makes absolutely no sense.
Bill
It's available for the Kindle app for your iPad. The Kindle app is free, and its "store" gives you access to the entire Kindle library of books, usually at substantial discounts. I bought this book for just the reason you state - to be able to take it with me on trips. Note, however, that the photos in the Kindle version are poor, so you can't really "see" what is being discussed in the text the way you can with the book. In that respect, the PDF version might be better (assuming it accurately reproduces the photos). Still, if you're looking for a cheaper way to take the text, the Kindle version gives it to you.Bruce: Where did you get the Kindle version. On Amazon it seems that the Kindle version is more money than the print version.
Bill
-
I am pretty sure that you won't be able to find a cheaper version if you bought the paper back, it isn't clear what the advantage to the publisher is. You could make your own PDF version but unless you have young kids who are willing to scan for the fun of it, it is probably cheaper to buy the PDF version.
The Kindle version is actually more expensive (31 vs 30) than the actual book which to me makes absolutely no sense.
Bill
Bruce: Where did you get the Kindle version. On Amazon it seems that the Kindle version is more money than the print version.
Bill
Agreed there is no financial reason for that the publisher to give a PDF version to customers who bought the hard copy. However, there is something to be said for a sense of fairness in customer service, that customers shouldn't have to buy the same book twice (even if it is a really darn good book
). It would be like buying a CD, and then being made to buy the MP3 versions, the only difference being MP3s are a lot easier to make from a CD. I e-mailed the publisher to see what they say -- since the PDF has basically zero overhead cost for them, maybe they'll send it to me, or at least offer a discounted price. -
Agreed there is no financial reason for that the publisher to give a PDF version to customers who bought the hard copy. However, there is something to be said for a sense of fairness in customer service, that customers shouldn't have to buy the same book twice (even if it is a really darn good book
). It would be like buying a CD, and then being made to buy the MP3 versions, the only difference being MP3s are a lot easier to make from a CD. I e-mailed the publisher to see what they say -- since the PDF has basically zero overhead cost for them, maybe they'll send it to me, or at least offer a discounted price.Got a reply from the publisher -- no offer of a discount, but they were kind enough to give me a link where I could buy the PDF for $40

-
Hi all,
I read this post yesterday and I immediately (without reading the instructions/limitations) purchased the PDF version from www.ebooks.com
That version is a Digital PDF with rights restriction (DRM) therefore it can only be read through Adobe Digital Edition (http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/) on the computer. No other choices from this website. You can't read it on the iPad!
I read somewhere on that website that you can use the purchased copy only on one computer, but Adobe website explains how to transfer your book up to 6 computers. In actual fact you can authorize more than one computer with adobe and just copy the file over.
Just in case someone makes "my mistake" of thinking to be able to read it on the iPad...
alex
-
I am pretty sure that you won't be able to find a cheaper version if you bought the paper back, it isn't clear what the advantage to the publisher is. You could make your own PDF version but unless you have young kids who are willing to scan for the fun of it, it is probably cheaper to buy the PDF version.
And by scanning the book to PDF yourself, you will be infringing Martin's copyright protected works.
Martin has shared so much over the years and has raised everyones abilities (self included) beyond what one could achieve on a solo effort.....I think Martin (or indeed any photographer/writer) deserves more respect than suggesting (even in jest) that stealing his work is acceptable.
-
And by scanning the book to PDF yourself, you will be infringing Martin's copyright protected works.
Actually Simon, many countries around the world consider that to be fair use SO LONG AS YOU ALREADY OWN A COPY and it is for "PRIVATE USE" only. Format shifting copyrights for self use is absolutely allowed. Transferring music from CD to mp4 player etc, all legal, again so long as it is stays within use of the premise of "Private Use".
Of course I believe the US allows only 1 "private use" copy in different format. Not sure about UK laws.
-
Drew - I was just about to write that. It's generally considered "fair use" to scan a book you own for private use. I've PDF'ed quite of a few of the books I own so I can travel with them.
-
Actually Simon, many countries around the world consider that to be fair use SO LONG AS YOU ALREADY OWN A COPY and it is for "PRIVATE USE" only. Format shifting copyrights for self use is absolutely allowed. Transferring music from CD to mp4 player etc, all legal, again so long as it is stays within use of the premise of "Private Use".
Of course I believe the US allows only 1 "private use" copy in different format. Not sure about UK laws.
Not sure about the law with respect to format shifting (I'm going digging.......might be some time) but I will have a read up, certainly with respect to the UK. I'm not aware of any change in the law on this side of the pond, but it seems de-facto with things like ITunes .......personally, not a problem with it for (as you say) PRIVATE USE.
What concerned me most was the cost/benefit analysis the OP went through (....young kids willing to scan..........its probably cheaper to buy the PDF.....) and it hinted at an overall lack of appreciation with respect to copyright law. There was no indication I could see that the OP had already bought a printed copy.... therefore at what price break would the OP consider it worthy to scan rather than buy?
General ignorance of copyright generally leads to the "Hey buddy, can I have a copy of your Underwater Photographer PDF?"........."Sure, gimme your memory stick......." exercise. At this point Martin loses out. Of course the OP may have bought a copy and have the best intentions with respect to a PDF, but the road to hell is paved with good intention.
Of all the things I ponder the most, the impact of the IPad-type technology coupled with PDF versions of magazines & books is something I have spent a long time thinking through what the future holds. Trying to second-guess the market in preparation for the eventual widespread change of how people want to consume IP content is impossible, but it helps to at least have a strategy to deal with where the market might head. There will be new opportunities for creatives, mainstream and niche market alike, ready to exploit. That's the upside. The downside is another free-for-all where the only winners are the Kindle/Ipad gatekeepers and content consumers.
If anyone is wondering if I have a conclusion, the answer is always "work in progress" I'm afraid.
I guess its the balancing act between the rights of the creator vs the consumer and how everyone can win.
-
What concerned me most was the cost/benefit analysis the OP went through (....young kids willing to scan..........its probably cheaper to buy the PDF.....) and it hinted at an overall lack of appreciation with respect to copyright law. There was no indication I could see that the OP had already bought a printed copy.... therefore at what price break would the OP consider it worthy to scan rather than buy?
The OP clearly stated he already has a copy and wants an ebook version for his trips. I don't think anyone has any intention to steal from Martin's piggy bank.

Plus the exercise of scanning a book isn't fun, unless you have a good automatic scanner. So paying for a 2nd copy made well be worth the money.
-
The OP clearly stated he already has a copy and wants an ebook version for his trips. I don't think anyone has any intention to steal from Martin's piggy bank.

Plus the exercise of scanning a book isn't fun, unless you have a good automatic scanner. So paying for a 2nd copy made well be worth the money.
I think we have our OPs crossed......I was referring to what bvanant (Posted Sep 21 2010, 04:06 PM) wrote. He's my 'OP' in that context and I still can't find anything to indicate they have bought a copy.
By all means correct me if I have misread the bvanant post.
-
I am pretty sure that you won't be able to find a cheaper version if you bought the paper back, it isn't clear what the advantage to the publisher is. You could make your own PDF version but unless you have young kids who are willing to scan for the fun of it, it is probably cheaper to buy the PDF version.
Simon, to me it reads like Bill is saying it's not worth the hassle of scanning your own copy of the book, so go and buy the pdf version of the same book.
Oh and thanks for making read the entire thread.
Alex, you can try using the txtr app to read ADE DRM pdf. It's a bit of a pain to register at Adobe and Txtr but it allows you to add the book on your iphone/ipod etc.
-
Simon, to me it reads like Bill is saying it's not worth the hassle of scanning your own copy of the book, so go and buy the pdf version of the same book.
On reflection Drew, I agree. I re-read the post and thats the (new) conclusion. Bill is not saying find a copy and rip it off, but take your legit copy and format shift.........
Apologies due from myself to Bill for the poor interpretation.
I wonder if we should have a thread entitled "Copyright - is it fit for purpose any more?"
I'm going to sleep on that one!
-
On reflection Drew, I agree. I re-read the post and thats the (new) conclusion. Bill is not saying find a copy and rip it off, but take your legit copy and format shift.........
Apologies due from myself to Bill for the poor interpretation.
I wonder if we should have a thread entitled "Copyright - is it fit for purpose any more?"
I'm going to sleep on that one!
I indeed have a copy (of all the editions) but for me, scanning it is indeed too big a pain. According to our corporate IP guys it is indeed fair use to scan a book for your own use to say put on a Kindle or iPad. As long as we don't send it around to others. We pay a lot of attention to copyright since we pay really big$ to the copyright clearance guys to use scientific articles for marketing stuff. In any case, I still don't understand why the Kindle version (which you could read on the iPad (I think) is more $ than the print version.
Bill
-
Since I am actually an intellectual property attorney by trade, its interesting that I unintentionally started this conversation on copyrights...
-
After this post ran its course I had a read up on US copyright. It is different in certain aspects to the UK law, particularly with respect to fair use, which is covered by US legislation.
Although recommended by the Gowers Report, fair use has not entered the statue books here in the UK, so format shifting in this way would still, as far as I can tell, technically be a breach.
The reality is somewhat different and the practice of format shifting is widespread. With music, the trade bodies have made it clear that they are NOT interested in pursuing an individual who copies a CD to their MP3 player for personal use. Sharing the same song on a peer-to-peer network is an altogether different matter.
A very useful thread for me, even if the original question mcliffy2 posed was somewhat sidetracked.