Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

tonkina 12-24 or 11-16 lens?

Started by scuba-s ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

tonkina 12-24 or 11-16 lens?

4 posts
  1. am looking at getting a good rectangular wide angle lens for above water and below i have narrowed the choice down to 2 the tonkina lens, the 11-16 and 12-24 both have good write ups and are of good build quality,the 11-16 is wider but limited zoom range the 12-24 more zoom not as wide, i have a canon 7D in ike housing with 8 inch dome is there any issues with focus and edges with either lens and the 8 inch dome?i am buying the len mainly for above water but may as well get my moneys worth and use it underwater as well,i already have the tonkina 10-17 and very happy with it,any advise would be appreciated. PS I am not interested in the canon 10-22

  2. the 11-16 is an awesome lens. i prefer it to nikon's 12-24 and multiple online reviews said the tokina is better. surprising for a 3rd party lens and i'm quite a nikkor snob. its also a 2.8 vs both tokina & nikon 12-14's being f/4. this isn't big UW as you almost never shoot wide open, but it does help for focusing.

     

    can't really comment on the 12-24 except that the long end would likely be more useful, getting to a range good enough for large fish, sharks etc.

     

    here's a thread about over/unders where i posted a couple pics from the 11-16mm. Cheers,

     

    Chris

  3. G'day Steve,

     

    The 11-16 is a great landscape lens, and the one I'd be looking at to put on your 7D. In the water it's ok, obviously not a whole lot of reach. It does have soft corners a lot of the time (I've tried differend dioptres and extension rings with my 8" dome). I don't think I've used it underwater since I got the 10-17 though.

     

    How're you liking the 7D by the way? Good to hear you made the upgrade after Byron.

     

    A couple of older shots taken with the 11-16 to give you some idea:

     

    3155271636_f2bdf5008a_b.jpg

     

    11-16 on 40D, 8" dome, +2. Fish Rock, NSW.

     

    3573063600_f96ed26cf5_b.jpg

     

    11-16 on 40D, 8" dome, +2. Yongala, Qld.

     

    4227226601_3ac196e965_b.jpg

     

    11-16 on 7D, 8" dome, +2. Cod Hole, Qld.

     

    Hope that's some help.

     

    Ryan.

  4. am looking at getting a good rectangular wide angle lens for above water and below i have narrowed the choice down to 2 the tonkina lens, the 11-16 and 12-24 both have good write ups and are of good build quality,the 11-16 is wider but limited zoom range .... PS I am not interested in the canon 10-22

     

     

    I've been eying the 11-16 too. How does it compare to the 10-22 in terms of corner softness in your experience? (I like the possiblity for the faster 2.8 aperture in the former)

     

    Cheers

    /O

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.