Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nauticam T2i Accessories

Started by focker ·

  • 37Posts
  • 37Replies

Read-only discussion

Nauticam T2i Accessories

37 posts
  1. Soooo, any port recommendations? What makes the Zen ports so popular?

     

    Let me blow the Nauticam trumpet and say how much I've enjoyed the 9" Nauticam glass dome I took to the Red Sea last week! Images later, in memory of my buddy, Maurice Gowen, who died tragically, during a dive on Big Brother island.

     

    Tim

     

    :)

  2. Let me blow the Nauticam trumpet and say how much I've enjoyed the 9" Nauticam glass dome I took to the Red Sea last week! Images later, in memory of my buddy, Maurice Gowen, who died tragically, during a dive on Big Brother island.

     

    Tim

     

    :)

     

    Hey Tim, which camera and lens were you using with this dome?

  3. I bought a Nauticam 550d housing system from Reef Photo in July. I have the Canon EF-S 60mm macro (Nauticam macro port) and the Tokina 10-17 with Zen 100mm dome and dual S&S YS-110A strobes. Far and away the best accessory I bought for the Nauticam housing is the Nauticam 180 degree viewfinder. I can't imagine using the small 'standard' viewfinder on the housing after using the MUCH LARGER Nauticam viewfinder.

  4. I bought a Nauticam 550d housing system from Reef Photo in July. I have the Canon EF-S 60mm macro (Nauticam macro port) and the Tokina 10-17 with Zen 100mm dome and dual S&S YS-110A strobes. Far and away the best accessory I bought for the Nauticam housing is the Nauticam 180 degree viewfinder. I can't imagine using the small 'standard' viewfinder on the housing after using the MUCH LARGER Nauticam viewfinder.

     

    What made you decide on the S&S strobes over the Inon?

  5. What made you decide on the S&S strobes over the Inon?

     

    I already owned the S&S YS-110A strobes with my Canon G10/Fisheye FIX housing system. I previously owned S&S YS-90DX strobes that performed well for 8 years so I stayed with S&S.

  6. I was able to get my hands on a very clean used Tokina 10-17 and am now getting ready to order all the parts to have this system ready for my wife on her birthday. I notice that a lot of you use a TC with your 10-17. Can you let me know when you use the TC as opposed to just the lens alone and what the results are (samples anyone :D ) ?

  7. The lens alone is for WA work and offers somewhere in the region of 160deg cover. The TC will allow the lens to give a close-focus-wide-angle effect to the shots. This especially works with the 100mm dome. What you can achieve is a macro shot, with an environment as a background. Alex Mustard wrote a good piece on it on Divephotoguide (if im allowed to say that on here?) But you will need 2 different zoom gears and another extension ring to make it all work.

     

    Olly

  8. The lens alone is for WA work and offers somewhere in the region of 160deg cover. The TC will allow the lens to give a close-focus-wide-angle effect to the shots. This especially works with the 100mm dome. What you can achieve is a macro shot, with an environment as a background. Alex Mustard wrote a good piece on it on Divephotoguide (if im allowed to say that on here?) But you will need 2 different zoom gears and another extension ring to make it all work.

     

    Olly

     

    Thank you for filling in the blanks. I found the article on DivePhotoGuide and it was helpful to understand with the photos. I can see it will be a future purchase once she gets used to all the things she can do with what she will already have.

  9. A couple of more questions as I get close to ordering and a have some quotes from Reef.

    Would it be better to get the Compact Port 15 for the 60mm OR the 60mm Flat Port that is made for that lens?

    Would you prefer the 8.5" Dome from Nauticam or the Zen 100 to start?

    Any input on the S2000 and/or the Z-240?

  10. I went with the extension and port 15 as its just more versatile for a range of lenses. If you add say a 100mm macro to ur kit list then u already have the base section and just need the extended port. Am i right in also saying the base and port version also has the focus light attachment point on the top too, and the single port doesnt?

     

    I went with the bigger dome to start, because i live where i dive :D;) so the size and travel wieght was no issue. I also like doing over/under splits. But i am very close to ordering the 4.5" dome too.

     

    As for the strobes i just thought bigger is better. Buy once and then dont wish you had gone bigger for WA work.

     

    Olly

  11. Some input for you:

    Would it be better to get the Compact Port 15 for the 60mm OR the 60mm Flat Port that is made for that lens?

    Compact Ports are a little more versatile, i.e. can support a couple more lenses. Macro Ports (i.e. the Macro Port 41 for the EF-S 60) have the advantage of 67mm threads. The Macro C60 Port has 67mm threads too and also supports the Inon bugeye lens.

    Would you prefer the 8.5" Dome from Nauticam or the Zen 100 to start?

    The acrylic 8.5" dome can support many wide angle lenses. The Zen DP-100mm supports only a single lens, Tokina 10-17. The small domes advantages: travel, getting very close to subjects.

     

    Cheers,

    Chris

  12. I went with the extension and port 15 as its just more versatile for a range of lenses. If you add say a 100mm macro to ur kit list then u already have the base section and just need the extended port. Am i right in also saying the base and port version also has the focus light attachment point on the top too, and the single port doesnt?

     

    I went with the bigger dome to start, because i live where i dive :D;) so the size and travel wieght was no issue. I also like doing over/under splits. But i am very close to ordering the 4.5" dome too.

     

    As for the strobes i just thought bigger is better. Buy once and then dont wish you had gone bigger for WA work.

     

    Olly

     

    The single port does have the focus light attachment, the compact port does not. You do have a good point on the versatility factor of the compact port for using both the 100 and 60... hmmmm

     

    The dome port is hard for me to decide on too because I see the edge sharpness as not being great on the smaller port, less lens versatility as Chris points out and the cost factor.

    Edited by focker
  13. The single port does have the focus light attachment, the compact port does not. You do have a good point on the versatility factor of the compact port for using both the 100 and 60... hmmmm

     

    The dome port is hard for me to decide on too because I see the edge sharpness as not being great on the smaller port, less lens versatility as Chris points out and the cost factor.

     

    You can use the Macro Port for both lenses too, just need a locking extension ring. And yes, the Macro Port also has the cold shoe attachment point as well.

     

    The edge sharpness with the small dome may surprise you. Here are some corner shots at different apertures with the Zen 100mm if you are interested:

    http://nauticamusa.com/?p=488

     

    Cheers,

    Chris

  14. You can use the Macro Port for both lenses too, just need a locking extension ring. And yes, the Macro Port also has the cold shoe attachment point as well.

     

    The edge sharpness with the small dome may surprise you. Here are some corner shots at different apertures with the Zen 100mm if you are interested:

    http://nauticamusa.com/?p=488

     

    Cheers,

    Chris

     

    If I understand correctly will the Macro Port 41 work with both the 60mm and the older 100mm (non L) with the locking extension ring?

  15. Well the order is in to Reef Photo and my pocket is a LOT lighter!

    I have to say a thank you to Chris at Nauticam for taking my call today and helping me finalize my choices.

    Here was the shopping list:

    I ended up getting the Zen 100 dome after all along with the Macro Port 41, some Stix floats, the Inon Z240, fiber cable and some ULCS arms. I also decided on a Sola 500 for a focus light however I like the idea of red LED lights for night diving so I may change it up to a 600. This all for my wife however I have a feeling I might be using it a lot myself too. :D

  16. Well the order is in to Reef Photo and my pocket is a LOT lighter!

    I have to say a thank you to Chris at Nauticam for taking my call today and helping me finalize my choices.

    Here was the shopping list:

    I ended up getting the Zen 100 dome after all along with the Macro Port 41, some Stix floats, the Inon Z240, fiber cable and some ULCS arms. I also decided on a Sola 500 for a focus light however I like the idea of red LED lights for night diving so I may change it up to a 600. This all for my wife however I have a feeling I might be using it a lot myself too. :D

     

    The red on the 600 is most excellent. Even light shy creatures like basket stars or brittle stars don't mind it.

     

    Cheers,

    Chris

     

    edit:

    P.S. I don't sell Sola lights, so I can use adjectives about it... :-)

    Edited by Cp
  17. The red on the 600 is most excellent. Even light shy creatures like basket stars or brittle stars don't mind it.

     

    Cheers,

    Chris

     

    edit:

    P.S. I don't sell Sola lights, so I can use adjectives about it... :-)

     

    I did change the order to he 600 and am really looking forward to seeing how excited she is to get everything. She will need one more flash unit in the future but this will be a great start and I think she is going to be a shutter happy girl.

    I am hoping they have that darn Kittiwake sunk in the Caymans when we are there next month so we can get some of the first underwater shots of her.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.